Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Paul G. Thompson R.I.P. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Paul G. Thompson R.I.P.
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 07:17 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been informed of this and asked to pass this information along:

It is with deep sadness that I have to report that our beloved "weenie man", Paul G. Thompson collapsed and died of a heart attack while standing in line at Sea-Tac airport yesterday. [Frown]

I will hopefully have more details tomorrow. Rest in Peace my friend.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-09-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm sincerely very sorry to hear this. I enjoyed Paul's contributions here immensely. I wish I'd had the honor of meeting him in person. I traded emails with Paul a couple times, and I mentioned to him how lucky Josh Jones was to have Paul as a sort of "mentor". I think he liked that.

It would be ultra-cool if Paul's picture were on the opening screen for a while, just "In Memorium"...

-

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this sure sucks.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 07:49 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad. He was one of the first people I remember noticing on this board when I used to browse over her. He did not mince words. Very straightforward.

The timing of this is so weird because just an hour ago, I was thinking of putting up a post on how people in virtual communities can pass away and there is a good chance no one will know what happened unless one did a thorough search. I think plastic.com has a discussion topic about it too. And just an hour ago, I found out the founder of digiupdate.com, Arun Gupta, passed away recently and that was the reason that site had no updates. Someone found out by doing a search on him when his postings on an AVS(audio video) forum just stopped. Over here, the problem is less because we use our real names and places.
It freaks me out that I came over here to post that very issue and have to read about Paul's passing.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 07:57 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My prayers will be with his family and friends...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-09-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very saddened by this news. I have known Paul for many years and met him several times.

While we many times used to tease eachother, he still was a great person and friend.

I, as well as many others, will miss him very much.

RIP my friend.

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Phil said, we used to tease each other all the time and we all had lots of fun on the forum as well as the times I spent with him in person, but this is shocking news.

Paul, you were one of the good guys and you brought many positive things to many people. I am proud to call you a friend. This world needs more people like you. [Frown]

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to read this news. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-09-2004 08:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed very sad, and quite shocking to me. Last October Paul and I drove down to Dallas and back together. He seemed in good spirits this last week or two, so that's good. Have a good one, Paul.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really sad [Frown]
Got to talk to him a very few times in the chat room and some messages on a few topics,I didn't know him like many here did but I liked him for sure. will miss him [Frown]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-09-2004 08:25 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul was here, looking over my booth just a bit over a week ago. A total gentleman... complimentary about most of what he saw, helpful suggestions where he felt improvements could be made. I had lunch with him in town & he seemed fine... no complaints. We talked a lot that day, mainly about the upcoming transmitter replacement project at one of the stations he worked at.

I also will miss his friendship and conversation.

(edit) On reflection, it seems he may have been dealing with underlying issues. He said he'd been bruising easily, caused by what he described as large-dose aspirin therapy... so it seems there was something going on.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 08:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad day...

He was always so helpful with all my questions about my projector rebuild.
Great guy.

danny

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-09-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Wow. An incredibly sad day indeed. Allthough I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, I did get to chat with him once or twice via AIM. I really enjoyed how direct he was with his opinions. Quick to compliment, but not afraid to tell you if he dissagreed either. He was an integral part of our little online community, and he will be greatly missed.

In Paul's own words, The story of how he became "The Weenie Man"
quote:
It is a long story - I posted it somewhere in FT. But basically, I ate alot of hot dogs at the theatre since I worked 12 hour shifts without a break (my choice) and one of the girls called me "The Weenie Man". Brad found out, and it "took off"... So, I came up with the picture to duplicate a similar thing with Joe. He was shaking his finger in his pic, so I figured I would shake a hot dog in mine...

-

Take care, Paul. [beer]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-09-2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't normally post on such threads...it goes without saying about one that will be missed when one passes. However, this was a forum member and one that I have had a ongoing relationship with (electronic and in-person) and repect for. This is yet one more thing to make 2004 a most depressing year (for me, at least).

Rest in piece, my friend.

Steve [Frown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-09-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I am blown away by this and will sure miss him. Paul stayed with me for a couple of days about three years ago while he was on his way to Texas to get VTR's for Josh. He was a great guy to be around and we had alot of fun. He was also a blast at Showest when we all got together!! He really did help me get a console that was a bit wider than the staircase up, around two turns, and into the booth. We got it up there while his dog Poopers awaited patiently in the lobby for us to finish. He will be missed by many people in many places but will not be forgotten by anyone. Paul and Poopers are now together again for all eternity and if there are Theatres up in Heaven I know Paul is now head of projection of them.

I agree that his picture should be on the front page. Also, perhaps a memorial page with photos would also be nice to have up.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: