Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Living expenses in CA (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Living expenses in CA
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 03:10 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got offered a tech job in California. Yeah, I know, not the best place to live. But it's only temporary. After I complete my training there, I'll be offered the next service area that opens up. Anyway, the reasom I'm making this post is to ask any of you who live in CA what the living expenses are like. Any good websites you know of that I could use to research the expenses?

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just got offered a tech job in California. Yeah, I know, not the best place to live. .......I'm making this post is to ask any of you who live in CA what the living expenses are like.
California rocks and you know it! [thumbsup]

You need to tell us what area or city you'll be in, there is a big difference between places; i.e. Santa Monica [Big Grin] vs. Palmdale [puke] hahaha!!!

danny

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee .. tough question. Depends entirely on where you'll be. But, it's ALL expen$ive, and going up rapidly.

But, it's is the best, not the worst, place to live .. kinda' like Florida without everything annoying that makes Florida Florida and not California (humidity and huge bugs, for instance). Being a native (Californian, not American Indian-type native), I'm obliged to say that. I've never lived anywhere else, so I'm totally un-biased. [Big Grin]

Kidding aside, it truly does depend. It's such a huge, tall state. There are, like anywhere else, magnificent places to live, such as Central-Coastal California, where I am. There are absolute shitholes, too. Sometimes the nice and the crap are close to each other, too. Separated entirely by $$.

I think you better just room with Phil for a while. [Eek!] Or, ask Brad his opinion .. he was through here not long ago.

Ron Yost

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-06-2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The general rule is, the intelligent, beautiful and cool people live in the south, then the coolness level slowly decreases the further north you go.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley was great growing up yet is now very very crowded. Living on the Central Coast for the past 8 years has been absolutely beautiful. Expensive yet great. Really depends on where you settle as to how expensive it can be. What area is the job in?

Michael... [fu] [Wink]

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 03:57 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This web site might give you some information http://www.homestore.com/move/default.asp?poe=homestore

Adam Martin was using some web site for moving information when he was moving from Michigan. to Calif. but I cannot remember what it was. Maybe he will post the URL for you.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that the job is in the LA-area. Since it's a tech job, I'll be traveling. I won't be at just one theater. So I guess I could stay anywhere in the area. Where are the less expensive ("less expensive" does NOT equal "shit" [Big Grin] ) places to stay?

I'm all for rooming with someone if anyone has a place available. I'm probablly gonna have to do the roommate thing, since it will be difficult to afford a place of my own. I'd much rather room with a fellow Film-Techer than someone I don't know at all. Just shoot me an email. Seriously. [Cool] [beer]

Thanks for your help guys.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simi Valley has been voted the safest place to live in CA as most of the LAPD live there along with all the Ventura County Sherrifs. From my memory it was also less expensive than LA county and is just over the hill. Also, if you want to go a little farther out try Moorpark or Thousand Oaks. In the other direction you have Valencia and out farther Castaic. Really depends on how far you are willing to drive to get to the different theatres.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-06-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the natives and long term residents of an area can objectively answer this question. The comfort level of being anywhere for a very long time distorts your view.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-06-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
SoCal *IS* God's country! Heaven on earth! Most everyone either loves or hates where they live. We all have different ideas of what we consider "home" and NO one place is better than any other. It's all what you want in/out of life, personally make of it, and your attitude and outlook on things in general.

As has been mentioned, it is VERY expensive in general to live here Los Angeles and especially where I live in the Hollywood Hills. While I feel very "grounded" and love it here, I'm thinking of moving to Texas where the cost of living is about half of what it costs me to live here.

Cost of housing does vary depending on what specific area you're talking about, but things such as food, services, etc really still cost about the same and do not change with an area. Places like Palmdale, a desert community about an hour from L.A., has many daily commuters and COL is very similar to FL.

While all cities have good/safe areas and bad/dangerous areas; if you are seriously thinking of moving into this area, I would research the areas on the web. A good site that compares cities and costs of living is HERE

Yes Clint, Simi Valley is a great place to live...IF you want to be bored to death! I hated it! It was great while raising a family, but after I "grew up", I like the night life... [beer]

OBTW: I am not a Cal native. I've lived in Michigan, Texas, Mississippi, and Florida among many places.

Good Luck.

>>> Phil

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I agree about Simi being boring. I could not live there I just mentioned how safe and also how it used to be pretty in-expensive. I also could not live in Hoillywood like you do. There is no accounting for taste!!! [Razz]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-06-2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um...what kind of tech job? Servicing coin-op peep show booths? Don't touch or set anything on the floors! LOL

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-06-2004 06:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Simi used to be really inexpensive to live there until it was deemed the safest US city for many years in a row. Now it's one of the more expensive places. [Smile]

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-06-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for a really nice, safe, affordable community to live in the greater LA area with great air quality, you might consider San Bernardino.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-06-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good air quality in San Berdoo??? What's the punch line to this one? [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: