Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fridley Theaters Ban Fahrenheit 9/11 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fridley Theaters Ban Fahrenheit 9/11
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOT a political post... moreover, a post on theatre policy.

From the Wichita Eagle, 7/3/04

Midwest Theaters Ban 'Fahrenheit 9/11'

Associated Press

DECORAH, Iowa - The president of a company that owns movie theaters in Iowa and Nebraska is refusing to show director Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11."

R.L. Fridley, owner of Des Moines-based Fridley Theatres, says the controversial documentary incites terrorism.

Fridley said in an e-mail message to company managers that the company does not "play political propaganda films from either the right or the left."

"Our country is in a war against an enemy who would destroy our way of life, our culture and kill our people," Fridley wrote. "These barbarians have shown through (the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001) and the recent beheadings that they will stop at nothing. I believe this film emboldens them and divides our country even more."

"Fahrenheit 9/11" won best picture at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and has grossed millions of dollars at the box office. Moore won an Academy Award for an earlier work, "Bowling for Columbine."

Critics accuse the film of being an unfair and inaccurate portrayal about President Bush's policies before and after Sept. 11, 2001.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-03-2004 07:20 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] A businessman with principles.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-03-2004 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's still a semi-free country and he can do as he pleases with his theatres. But his logic is rather silly. It would be more honest to simply come out and say he is a Bush supporter and doesn't want to undermine his guy. I would respect that more than some tripe about encouraging terrorism.

The plus side is that he's going to be looking awfully foolish to his customers who then go to see the film at his competitor's theatres.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good thing [Smile] People are getting smart!!!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-03-2004 10:02 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smart how? Seems to me that the smart thing to do is book films that people are willing to buy tickets to see, presuming the distributor's terms are not onerous. Maybe I'd avoid something that might incite gang violence or other mayhem but that's about it.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 11:35 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can see:

He is losing money. It has nothing to do with principles. If you want to get principles involved - I wouldn't show half the movies we play - do to the fact that I have a principle not to play stupid and lame movies.

When you get down to it - it is just a movie, plain and simple. That translates to enjoyment for the masses and $$ for us.....

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-04-2004 12:22 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre's role in the business world is purely a conveyor of product. An exhibitor. A theatre chain makes its money by selling concessions to people who want to see movies. A theatre willing to make money will book films most likely to draw a concession-buying crowd. This, I believe, is the underlying reality, with the rare few exceptions.

If, for whatever principles, a theatre decides not to book a film, the more power to ya! Sure, they might lose potential profits, but that's a business decision. Many business decisions are not primarily highest-dollar-amount ones, and I can respect that. It's the doing of ANYTHING just to make the most money that I have a disrespect for. There should be a balance, though.

However flawed or perfectly reasonable a logic is for not showing this film, I respect that the decision was made, possibly foreseeing a potential loss, in the name of honest principles.

But then, bringing into account all the crappy product being released (in our opinions, the jaded projection empire), it comes down to ... well, the most money can be made from showing what people come to see. Oh well.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-04-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think F-911 is going to sneak up and bite someone in the butt. I see F-911 as a possible boxoffice sleeper. That movie might have legs. Today I ran F-911 and Spiderman as well.

Spiderman outsold F-911 by only 73 tickets in a total of 4 runs..That's almost peanuts as far as numbers are concerned. Both movies are doing very well for us.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 12:52 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the owner was smart. About as smart as Mikey Eisner for passing on a #1 movie. Wait, he didn't pass on it. He had it in his hands and flung it like a frisbee!!

I don't necissarily agree with the theater owner's decision, but I agree with the fact that he made it. Nothing dictates you MUST show this film or that film -- unless you sign a contract with NCN, but that's another thread -- it's his theater, he can show or not show what he wants.

Many record stores back in the 60s refused to sell Beatles records because they were no-good hoodlum British punks who would pollute the minds of our wholesome American youth with their "Rock and Roll" -- but after a few consecutive #1 hits, they quietly stocked a few dozen records on the back racks. [Smile]

=TMP=

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-04-2004 04:50 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does the movie incite terrorism?

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 05:27 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a dickhead.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exhibitors have the right to decline showing films for any reason they wish. They have that authority. Unfortunately, authority carries baggage - responcibility. Such an exhibitor just may find that potential business is thrown away, not only from loss of takings on F9/11 but possible boycotts in the future, from patrons who fail to recognise the exhibitor's rights.

F911 opens here this month initially as part of a film festival. Moore's earlier ducumentary Bowling for Columbine plays next Sunday on network television.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-04-2004 09:58 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I applaud any exibitor for refusing to show whatever movie they wish, a strong choice that sends messages to producers, I disapprove of the owners releasing of a statement denouncing the film.

It is one thing to not book it, it is an entirely different matter to publicly deride the author of that work. Then it does get into politics and that makes patrons nervous.

Things like this can influence future business, some good and some bad. However it does tend to make people squemish if the owner of thier favorite theater starts spewing thier own version of hate.

I would rather go to a nice theater where they just book films and let the audience decide, by way of buying tickets, if they want to go or not.

I went to see spiderman 2 for the second time on saturday, and the show was once again sold out. As I was going through the line to get in, the usher told me I can put my ticket down, they weren't checking tickets. I asked why, since the show was sold out, and people tend to buy tickets to other movies and then cut into sold out shows, he only responded with, "I just work here".

That had nothing to do with this thread, just thought it was interesting.

Ciao

Dave

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-04-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't The Day After Tomorrow have some political message? I guess they didn't play that one either, then.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post deleted because the person I was quoting changed their post and what I was quoting was gone. Oh well.

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: