Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What Is The Validity Of Kazaa And Limewire? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Is The Validity Of Kazaa And Limewire?
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid a couple of bucks to download and use these programs, but I don't know if I got skunked or not.

I was under the impression that if I paid for the service, it was legal. But I now wonder about that. Supposedly a password was needed to get into them. However, when I loaded the programs into another computer, it asked nothing about passwords and user names.

Then I read a couple of days ago where the MPAA was saying Limewire and Kazaa were still in violation of the laws on downloaded music.

To be honest about it, I do will not use any of these two programs until I find out what the heck is actually going on. I looked to the RIAA website to see if I could send them an email for clarification, but no email address existed.

What a bunch of buttholes!!!!!!

Mr. Valente and the rest of you jerks in the MPAA and RIAA organizations, please be assured that some of us want to do it right!!!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-26-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Limewire but Kazaa was infamous for loading all sorts of adware and spyware onto one's computer which is why many people adopted a version that someone co-opted to remove the offending "extras" called "Kazaalite."

As for legality I think the most recent court findings have been that file sharing software and networks are not inherently illegal but you as a user could of your own choosing violate copyright law not unlike the user of a photocopy machine can. If you download copyrighted material for which the rights holders did not give permission for this type of distribution then it would be a violation.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 02:45 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you download the free version of Kazaa your comp will get loaded up with tons of spyware. I am told that if you pay for the premium version then there is no spyware.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2004 03:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve said:

quote: Steve Kraus
If you download copyrighted material for which the rights holders did not give permission for this type of distribution then it would be a violation.
Thank you, Steve. If that be the case, then Kazaa, Limewire, and others should be shut down. The fees we pay thinking it is legal is making some big fat-cigar smoking HOS alot of money. Me thinks it is a scam, and I got slammed.

I heard Napster is alive and well, but it costs a few cents to download a song. That's OK with me....I'll gladly pay 2 bits (or whatever the fee is) for a good quality download of a song (if it is legal) rather than spending 60 bits for a CD that has only one good song---with the rest pure crap.

Even the radio stations pay a royalty fee on the stuff they play. I think it is about 5 cents per song, but I cannot be sure. Maybe that's why talk shows on the radio are getting very popular. Who the hell wants to listen to that Beach Boys garbage that should have been buried a couple of years after it was a hit. Especially when the lead singer sounds like someone it tickling his butt with a feather....or maybe sat on a cactus or something...hardly nobody listens to that stuff anymore. The ratings prove that.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-26-2004 08:12 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the fees are calculated in two ways, with the number of people listening and the amount of revenue generated. Plus you have to pay fees to ASCAP, SEMAC and BMI, and then there are the AFTRA fees for the commercials you play, and then there are other fees if you use excerpts from movies or TV shows, etc etc.

I miss the days where people payed YOU to play thier crap. It was a promotional tool. Now they demand payment from the horse that feeds them. Bunch of jerks.

Ciao

Dave

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 08:37 AM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you are looking to buy music use itunes.com

if you decide to stick with kazaa go with an older version of kazaa lite k++ (i use 2.4.2 ) You can download an older version here or get the newer one here (caution the newer version ask for an email address which will most likely get spammed). Kazaa lite has a nifty IP blocker that blocks any IP address registered to the RIAA and a few other privacy features.

as for the spyware and adware thats now plaguing your computer its probably a good idea to download ad-aware to clean up.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-26-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Tuesday, Senator Orin Hatch (R-Utah), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, introduced legislation that will allow artists, entertainment companies, and law enforcement agencies to sue anyone that provides technology that "induces" copyright violations. The INDUCE bill (Inducement Devolves into Unlawful Child Exploitation), seeks to completely overturn the legal concept of "fair use" where under case law ("Betamax", 1976) consumers have the right to make copies of copyrighted materials for their own use. Under the bill (sorry, couldn't find an SB number) any technology that could be used to violate copyrights becomes the target of these lawsuits, though the bill specifically targets P2P networks. However the bill is worded broadly enough to also enable going after copying software, cameras, photocopying machines, or any kind or recording or storage device, though its framers claim that is not the intent.

Fortunately, since there are only 35 working days left in the 108th Congress before the fall elections, this bill is not expected to pass. But it's sure to be re-introduced in the next session.

I like Frank Field's Furd Log comment on Jack Valenti, regarding the mindset of today's copyright crusaders:

If I could have gotten paid for something, then I should have been paid; and if I wasn’t paid, then I was robbed.

[ 06-26-2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-26-2004 11:57 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my auto goes faster than the legal speed limit is that not also an "inducement" to break the law? Shouldn't cars come with speed governors?

Some up and coming bands and even some established ones welcome file sharing as a way to promote themselves. Clearly not all uses are infringing. Paul, I'm kind of surprised that you would want to shift the burden from personal responsibility to Big Paternalistic Gub'ment.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-26-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The software itself is (and should remain) perfectly legal. The fact that it is possible to use the software for illegal purposes is a side issue. Copyright violations should be dealt with individually, not by banning tools which can sometimes be used to violate copyrights (e.g. cameras, tape recorders, xerox machines, network protcols, pens, pencils, etc.).

There are public domain recordings available as well as copyrighted recordings (and movies) whose owners have specifically authorized their distribution. It is (and should remain) the user's responsibility to determine what content may legally be copied.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-26-2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I would strongly urge the use of caution when using any peer-to-peer "P2P" file sharing service like KaZaa, Limewire, etc.

As others have stated, these services are notorious for installing adware and spyware into computer systems, and even going so far as to change internal system settings to make outside intrusions easier. And even if you pay for a "premium" version of the program, don't count on it lacking spyware and adware. The nasty stuff may still be there. These programs are also very very difficult to remove. It literally took formatting a hard disk for me to remove all evidence of Morpheus.

The KaZaa Lite "K++" program seems to be pretty good. I've run it and had no spyware or adware warnings coming up in scans from AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy or Norton Utilities.

Here's the other thing to be very cautious about when using a "P2P" app. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. P2P file sharing apps are now one of the leading ways how new computer viruses get unleased "into the wild." It is believed that the first versions of "MyDoom" were introduced via KaZaa.

Let's say you're downloading some piece of pirated software. But you need a key generator program to get the thing to install. You download a key generator and launch the thing, but the thing turns out to be a virus. I know a few people whose hard drives have been toasted from that.

And this is exactly where the MPAA and RIAA need to do their campaign against piracy. Instead targeting individuals (who by the way are customers) with lawsuits, they need to convice those people that downloading music illegally is not safe. And honestly it isn't. One file you think is an MP3 may actually turn out to be something else that deletes everything on your hard disk and even goes so far as flashing the main board BIOS. Lots of computer users have data that is valuable to them, such as personal photos, letters to loved ones, etc. A virus can erase all of that. Other malware can allow thieves to get personal data to conduct identity theft and cost the user thousands of dollars and completely screw up their credit rating. There is a lot of risk in using P2P software. If the RIAA and MPAA campaigned on that theme they might see some modest gains in sales numbers, but not a whole lot. After all, the general quality of recorded music and movies is pretty derivative at best and pretty damned suck-ass bad on average. They have to do more in putting value into their product to get people to buy again. Also the economics have to allow customers to buy again. Too many people in this country are paying out the ass on things like medical costs or insurance premiums so some greedy c**ksucker can park three Hummer H2's in the garage of his million dollar home next to the hospital.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2004 06:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
double post - deleted by me.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, I fully agree with you. No question about it. I certainly am not going to use those programs.

Scott, if that info is more readily available, that would be great. But who has the time to search out that stuff? The best and safest way is not to download music. [Eek!]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-26-2004 08:05 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An .mp3 can contain a virus? What say you in the peanut gallery?

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 10:21 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P2P networks are used to "share" videos, pictures, songs, programs, pretty much anything one could ever hope to use on a computer. On that note, I think virii being spread by P2P networks are attached or coded into pirated software, not MP3's.

I haven't seen anything to suggest virii being obtained by MP3 use.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-27-2004 12:25 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but be careful. The file extension could be renamed as something else.

I have a program for electronic calculations. I just changed the file extension from *.exe to *.mp3 - and Music match tried to open it. Obviously, it would not play.

However, when I clicked on it, the calculation program started running.

In short, just because it says "Bla Bla.mp3", it could be an application (exe) file that you don't want running around in your computer.

Scan it before you open it. I have many-a-computer crashes at work because what looked like a legit file was not!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: