Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film Archivists' Graduation Day at GEH

Author Topic: Film Archivists' Graduation Day at GEH
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-18-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This afternoon, I had the pleasure of attending the graduation ceremonies for the 14 graduates of the L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation at the International Museum of Photography and Film at the George Eastman House. Anthony Bannon, Director of the GEH welcomed us. Paolo Cherchi Usai, Senior Curator of the Motion Picture Department introduced the program. Gregory Lukow, Chief of the Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division of the US Library of Congress gave the Commencement Address.

My Kodak colleague Darryl Jones and I are instructors for the session on film projection and format history, and always enjoy teaching these eager and bright new archivists from around the world. [Smile]

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/inc/education/selznick_school.asp

quote:
In 1996, George Eastman House established the L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation. The school is the first in North America to teach the restoration, preservation, and archiving of motion pictures. The certificate program offered by the school provides students with a comprehensive education covering the theory, methods, and practice of archival work and film preservation. Students work closely with George Eastman House staff, receiving practical, hands-on training in the maintenance, care, and storage of motion pictures.

Throughout one academic year, students take part in the staff's daily activities and in the meticulous research and discovery of new treasures. They receive training in all archival practices, including but not limited to: curatorial duties; access procedures and the investigation of copyright laws; inspecting, repairing, measuring, and shipping nitrate prints; and organizing and managing climatized vaults. Students discover that cataloguing a film means more than browsing through reference books. They study film-related artifacts as diverse as scripts, magic lantern slides, posters, stills, and orchestral scores from silent films. They learn to evaluate the quality of laboratory work, to explore the possibilities and the limits of electronic and digital technologies, and to confront the paradoxes and hardships of video preservation.

Students have the opportunity to organize a preservation project and learn how to construct a budget and the persuasive narrative essential to a successful grant application. They are taught to calculate the costs of film processing, to tell the differences among a wide array of soundtrack systems, and to recognize the distinctive hues of an original Technicolor print. They are invited to organize a film programming schedule or a 3-D screening, thus bringing their training into the view of the general public. In short, students are asked to cope with the routine, display the endurance, and learn the painstaking precision without which masterworks such as Intolerance (1916), Abel Gance's Napoléon (1927), and Lawrence of Arabia (1962) would never have been brought back to their original glory.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 06:51 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have loved to have a chance at a school like this. I've always been into preservation (since 1972 anyway,) and make every effort to preserve every single frame.

Jeffery Selznick's dad, David O, was a producer that I greatly admired. I vividly remember his passing, and still have the clip from the local newspaper. Back in the late 1960's-early 1970's, I think, ABC Television ran many of the selznick films and I was in heaven. I can lay my hands on audio tape recordings that I made of the film soundtracks at the time, reel to reel tape, of course!

I have always appreciated the amount of work that DOS put into his films. I would love to visit Eastman House and see first-hand the work that goes on there.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-19-2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to add my voice to John's in congratulating this year's GEH cohort. I took the University of East Anglia's MA in film archiving in 1995-96 which, at the time, was Europe's only professional qualification in moving image archiving. That and the GEH course were then the only two in the world. Since then, other archivist training programmes have followed, notably those at UCLA and Amsterdam - so much so that there was a whole panel on the subject at the AMIA conference in Vancouver last year. This is all to be welcomed - the film industry tends to have a 'here and now' mentality in some ways, and the more of us there are who understand why it's worth preserving our film heritage and who have the technical and curatorial skills to do it, the better.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like flag-waving (if so, the flag is purely that of moving image preservation), but I'd also like to record thanks to my tutor, David Cleveland, who established the UEA course: it was the first ever formal qualification in moving image archiving, started and developed in the teeth of funding difficulties and people wondering if looking after old films was really that important. The fact that his determination eventually lead to a number of archivist education programmes both in Europe and the US was recognised in an AMIA lifetime achievement award a couple of years ago. Most of us working in Britain's regional film archives went through his course, and the whole sector would have been a lot poorer without it.

I very much hope to meet some of this year's GEH graduates soon! Good luck also to Paolo for his move to Australia.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-19-2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me that I seem to have misplaced a small roll of nitrate in my bedroom. Hope it doesn't make itself known in a bad way! [Eek!]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-19-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's enough of a demand for this that there is a school?! How many of these jobs are out there? This isn't something I recall seeing employment ads for.
[Confused]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 06:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the last AMIA conference the president said during his address that about a quarter of the world's moving image archivists were probably present in that room. If he was right, that suggests that there are about 2,000 of us worldwide.

From what I know of the GEH course (this being from a couple of friends and a few more contacts who did it), it is similar to the UEA, UCLA and Amsterdam courses in that it is a one-year, full time masters degree. A first degree is a prerequisite for entry (subject not important, though most students come from a history/humanities background); experience and/or enthusiasm for moving image heritage is a must. The courses offer a cover the technical stuff (e.g. film examining and repair, methods of duplication, chemistry of decomposition), acquisition and cataloguing, what I call the political stuff (fundraising, mostly - which, sadly, is taking up an increasing proportion of my time), copyright and access (e.g. handling commercial footage licensing, dealing with researchers, rep cinema programming). The courses all vary slightly in the extent to which they emphasise these things. For example, the GEH course does much more on hands-on restoration work, whereas the UEA course covers management and fundraising in more depth.

The size of each cohort is deliberately kept down - certainly in the UEA course, and I get the impression that the same is true with the others - simply because there is no point in training people for whom there won't be any jobs. Graduates go a number of different ways: most end up working as archivists, but some become footage researchers in the TV industry, while others work for private sector media libraries.

Tim's right in that many jobs aren't advertised that widely, simply bceause it's possible to reach all the suitably qualified people who are likely to be interested without paying for expensive ads in national newspapers (which many smaller archives can't afford to do anyway). I don't really know where the obvious places to look are in the US (except that many vacancies seem to be posted on AMIA's e-mail list); but in Britain the large national public sector archives (i.e. the BFI and the Imperial War Museum) and the commercial ones tend to advertise in The Guardian on Mondays. The smaller ones often simply circulate ads via the Internet, especially for less senior positions. There is also an unofficial e-mail list operated for UEA alumni on which, again, ads are regularly posted.

Steve: one small roll is nothing. Last year we had a deposit from a lady in Northumberland who had about 10,000 feet of the stuff in her attic, which was being stored right next to her immersion heater for the house's water supply ! [evil] I can't think of a worse climate in which to store the stuff, except possibly in a Turkish bath! Her grandfather had owned a cinema and some of the material was fascinating, including ads and trailers from the 1920s and 30s, plus three 'local topicals' (local newsreels which were shot by cinema owners during the silent period). Incredibly, all but one reel passed a float test and was in very good condition. Even the one that was in stage 2 decomposition was just able to be duped (we only just caught it in time, though). Sadly, we haven't been able to get the others copied, yet, due to funding shortages. But they are now being properly stored and regularly checked, so they should be safe until we can get to them.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-20-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
(fundraising, mostly - which, sadly, is taking up an increasing proportion of my time)
Thanks, Leo. Sounds like it's hard enough to find a job in that field, much less have to go out and find your own money, too. I know, just with the few films I've restored in my spare time, most people could've cared less if the films were lost or not. I can imagine it's especially difficult to find someone who will pay a person to save films. That's why hearing about the school surprised me.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 11:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In his commencement speech, Gregory Lukow noted that the US Library of Congress would be hiring quite a few archivists to staff its new facility in Culpepper, Virginia:

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,63311,00.html

quote:
A Cold War emergency bunker nestled in the side of a mountain will soon house one of the largest movie and music collections in the world.

The Federal Reserve's hidden facility in Mount Pony, near Culpeper, Virginia, was decommissioned by the government in the 1990s. But next year, it will be resurrected as the Library of Congress' new National Audiovisual Conservation Center.
The building's solid underground structure, complete with vaults, converts easily to media storage, said Gregory Lukow, chief of the motion picture, broadcasting and recorded sound division of the Library of Congress. And the facility has a unique history, to put it mildly.

"It was built into a mountainside facing away from Washington, and it was a place where approximately $3 billion in coin and currency was stored for re-priming the American economy in case of a nuclear holocaust," Lukow said. And it was "a place where members of the Federal Reserve Bank and commission could flee in case of a nuclear attack."

The project, funded by the Packard Humanities Institute, is an effort to expand the Library of Congress' storage facilities for films, television programs, videos and recorded sound.

The National Audiovisual Conservation Center will open in two phases. The library will begin moving its collections into the existing retrofitted Federal Reserve building in June 2005. In the second phase, opening in April 2006, new construction alongside the mountain will house collection-processing areas, preservation laboratories and staff. The NAVCC will also include 122 vaults designed to store nitrate motion picture films -- movies created in the early days from the 1890s to 1951 -- which are highly flammable and must be stored separately from other media.

The center will have four temperature zones for storing master copies of films, non-master copies, magnetic media like audio and videotapes, and the nitrate motion pictures.

"It's not something you just do in an office building, no matter how large," Lukow said, adding that the collections building alone is 140,000 square feet. "The new spaces are being designed specifically for increased capability and capacity for our preservation work. It will enable us to significantly increase our preservation output for all audiovisual formats."

Rick Prelinger, who donated the bulk of his 48,000 educational, industrial, advertising and documentary films to the Library of Congress, has toured the facility as a member of the National Film Preservation Board.

"You always hear about these Cold War secret underground sites, but I'd never been in one," Prelinger said.

Old guard towers, 50-ton doors, dormitories and gyms are just a few of the features he observed when visiting the facility. He said there are doors in the walls that look like cupboards, but when opened lead into a cave "like Lord of the Rings."

As an individual collector, he worried about ensuring the safety of his films over time on his own. Risks included fire, water and vandalism. He's thrilled that the Library of Congress has a new secure building to store his former collection.

"The library is going to take the physical protection of materials very seriously," Prelinger said. "They have a very good track record at preserving delicate historical documents."

Even in the digital age, it's crucial to preserve the original analog material, said Paul Conway, director for information technology services at Duke University Libraries.

"I'm a big fan of these preservation facilities for the raw material, simply because it gives us more choice and more time," he said. "It's a really worthwhile investment. The originals have to be maintained as the ultimate backup.

"The more care we extend to these artifacts, the more time we have to make them digital," Conway said. In digital form, the materials are also more accessible to regular people.

The NAVCC will be open to the public, but primary access to the library's collection will remain in the reading room in the James Madison building at the Library of Congress on Capitol Hill, Lukow said.

This isn't the only film preservation archive funded by the Packard Humanities Institute. PHI has also purchased land in the Santa Clarita Valley to build a film storage and conservation facility on the West Coast. It will be owned and operated by UCLA.

"This is the memory of America," Lukow said. "Our social, cultural, aesthetic lives cannot be understood without benefit of moving images and recorded sounds that document who we are, what we did, what we imagined or believed or aspired to."

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the increasingly bleak outlook for the funding of Britain's public sector film archives (especially the regional ones, where I am at the moment), in the last few weeks I've been thinking more and more about a possible international relocation.

Mainland Europe would probably be my first choice, not least because one of the few good things about the European Union is that its citizens can apply for jobs in other member states without restriction, as if they were a citizen of that state. There's also the fact that state film archives in France, Germany and the Netherlands seem to be expanding and taking on more people, whereas we're doing precisely the opposite. But with Europe there's the language barrier (my French is OK; German would need a lot of work; and for anything else I'd be starting from scratch), and the way things are going I'm certainly not ruling out following Michael's example and thinking about North America. I guess it sounds disloyal to think in terms of abandoning a sinking ship: but as far as preserving our moving image heritage goes, Britain really seems to be taking steps backwards, and I'm nowhere near senior enough in the overall scheme of things to do anything meaningful about trying to change that.

So thanks for the link John - and at this rate I may be sending a resume to the LoC before too much longer!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-20-2004 12:24 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a really interesting documentary on PBS-HD "Great
Museums" this afternoon. It showed the many facets of Eastman house as well as the restoration school and vast film archives. It was interesting to learn that Ansel Adams first camera was a Kodak
Brownie! I guess ya got to start somewhere....

Mark

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2004 03:01 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Students have the opportunity to organize a preservation project and learn how to construct a budget and the persuasive narrative essential to a successful grant application
Do they teach them how to boil the movies on the stove & how much sugar to add? How many Mason jars do they go through per quarter at the GEH school?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: