Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Who's been sleeping in MY bed?! (bear walks into VA hospital)

Author Topic: Who's been sleeping in MY bed?! (bear walks into VA hospital)
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-18-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A black bear ended up with more than a sore head when it activated automatic doors and wandered into a US hospital.

Startled doctors, nurses and patients saw the 345lb (156kg) animal walking through the emergency ward and into an office full of computers.

Two police officers trapped the bear inside and decided the best option was to shoot it dead rather than try to sedate it and risk an escape. No-one, apart from the bear, was injured at the Virginia hospital.

"I was walking down the hallway and there was a big, black bear coming towards me," security guard Dan Thompson said. "He turned and went into the office on the right hand side. I'm glad he did."

It seems that when the full-grown bear walked in front of the Carilion Franklin Memorial Hospital in Rocky Mount, Virginia, it triggered a sensor that opens the building's doors.

Ambulance driver Lee Nelson, who was the first to notice the bear, said he could not believe his eyes. "At first I thought (it was) somebody in a bear costume...But when I saw the short legs, I've seen bears in my life and when I saw it running with short legs, I knew this ain't no joke."

The police officers thought about trying to sedate the bear but fearing it might get free they shot it twice and killed it. Wildlife experts say black bears, which are protected within the boundaries of US national parks, are usually shy animals.

They are not normally aggressive towards people but some have lost their fear of humans, hunting through rubbish bins and even going so far as to beg for food at the roadside.

Link.

Grrrrr!

|  IP: Logged

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps there was pre intelligence on the bear. Maybe, just maybe, the hospital director, (who incidentally got his job through a 50 million to 50 million and 1 majority vote, end even then there was some doubt) had evidence (which he still cannot disclose) that the bear had in his possetion weapons of bear destruction able to be used at 20 minute notice ? I say kill the bear in this case - who cares what the facts are, the hospital director says the bear is bad, lets go after the bear.. After all, the director is the director - he must be right..

Now the bear is captured (or dead) we can say that the bear was in bed with the crocodiles, who also have (allegedly, however not proven) 20 minute threats hanging over us..

Oh yeah, the bear was captured - where is he ? Hidden him away to prevent the other bears getting to him.. Meantime there is a serious world wide pro-bear cult forming - maybe the bear is bad, but hiding or killing him will cause a pro bear movement to worship him.

Kill the crocodiles too.. Plus any patients in the hospital who spoke to the bear pre the incident should be locked up, perhaps in a foriegn zoo out of hospital juristriction.. Bugger courts and trials - these folk are guilty by association with the bears..

Oops - says the director - forget the 20 minute thing, these bears are bad, kill them anyway.. forget what I said before

Following the rules, no politics.. Just bears and crocodiles

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-19-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could have taken the bear to a secure zoo in the Carribbean...

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 06:14 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No - that would be in-humane - even the world's worst zoos allow visits from family (and even lawyers), more than 1 hour activity a day and communication with other bears.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: