Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My dogs are ALWAYS digging in the TRASH!!!

Author Topic: My dogs are ALWAYS digging in the TRASH!!!
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 01:16 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I keep my 2 dogs from knocking over my kitchen trash can? They always knock it over when we are gone from the house. I don't have a lid for it and there is no way to seperate the dogs from it aside from putting in the closet.

Any Ideas?

I just love picking up already eaten food....

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-16-2004 02:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs will eat anything. Even if they are well fed, they still like the garbage bin. To them, it is a dessert. [Smile]

They think a toilet bowl is a big drinking fountain, and they really love those little chocolate marshmellows in a baby's diaper. Then, they will come and give you a nice sloppy kiss and wag their tails, and commence to lick their private parts.

But you will agree that a dog is the most loyal friend you could ever have, they will protect you. Most will snarl and show their teeth in a big mean smile if they think someone will harm you. You are their whole world.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-2004 03:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Abandon your dogs across town.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 05:16 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try booby trapping your garbage with some tabasco laden paper towels. I havent tried it but the puppies for dummies book says it works. [beer]
My puppy... Dewey:
 -

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 06:20 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conceal larger dogs in the trash can.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-16-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To you, it smells like shit... To a dog it smells like Chanel No. 5! [Big Grin]

The key to training/punishing a dog is immediacy instead of intensity. Dogs have the attention span of a (proverbial) two year old kid. If a dog does something bad and more than 90 seconds goes by before the punishment occurs, the animal will NOT make the connection between the two events. Likewise, if a dog does something GOOD and you don't praise it within a few seconds, you might as well not waste your time.

In your case, when you aren't home, there's no way for you to punish the dog in person the moment it digs in the trash can. By the time you get home (Hours later) there's no association between the dog's action and the punishment it gets. You must either remove the temptation from the dog, remove the dog from the temptation or figure out some kind of trick to "automatically" punish the dog when you aren't home.

Years ago, I had a cat that liked to dig in the trash can. First I got a covered can but the cat learned to knock the can over so the lid would fall off and the garbage would spill out. At that point it was like a giant buffet for the cat!

After several attempts at punishing the cat to no avail I finally booby trapped the trash can with a bucket of cold water. I set the can in a corner so that it was difficult to tip over. IF it did tip it was going to go in the general direction of the cat who tried to tip it. Then I balanced the bucket of cold water on top of the can so that the slightest touch would cause it to spill onto the cat.

I was laying in bed, early the next morning, when I heard:

"Thump! Thump! SPLASH!! Me-oooo-ow!!"

I went out to the kitchen to find a drenched cat standing in a puddle of water. If you've ever seen a wet cat, you know the look I'm talking about.

I never had a problem with the cat digging in the trash can again! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: