Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Question On DVD Burners (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question On DVD Burners
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2004 09:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am considering buying a DVD burner and and know little about them and was looking for opinions on whats the best route to follow. I'll be replacing a CD burner with the DVD burner in my computer. Also, whats the best software to use to create and burn DVD's or will that come with the burner?

-

Thanks for your input!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-14-2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I dumped my Pioneer (AO-5,6?) in favor of a Plextor PX-708A. Love it!

While sorta pricey, I use DVDit! from Sonic for authoring. Also really like it.

As a side note: The absolute BEST software for DVD playback on a computer is InterVideo's WinDVD5. Again, pricey, but FLAWLESS play without any artifacts or staggering. [Smile]

>>> Phil

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-14-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Pioneer DVR-A07, Nero Burning ROM. End of discussion. [Big Grin] Unless you want something that edits DVD video and writes it to a DVD, then pick some other software.

Pioneer drives kick ass and that Sonic shit is just that if you want to do any authoring other than extremely basic stuff.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-14-2004 09:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to disagree Adam (not really), but I HATE Nero. It's a POS wannabe prg that polutes the whole computer and is NOT intuitive to use. I didn't even bother loading it on this computer. WAY over-priced for what ya get.

Also, Pioneer "USED" to be good, but there are much better solutions out there now.

(Let's see. Which is better? The Apple II or the Atari 800? Or perhaps the Coleco?)

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-14-2004 10:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Nero, Adaptec, and DVD X Copy Platinum, depending which computer I use. The one that seems to be the most troublesome is Adaptec for some reason. Made lots of coasters... [Big Grin]

In my biggest machine, I have the Plextor PX-712A. It was a pricey drive, but I am totally happy with it.

However, I have stepped in a trap with disks. The DVD-R disk can be read with a DVD player, DVD Rom drive, DVD-r for aGeneral Drive/recorder, DVD-RW Drive/recorder, and DVD+RW Drive/Recorder. But, it is worthless to write from a DVD Player and a DVD-ROM Drive,(kind of a no-brainer anyway) and it will not write with a DVD+RW Drive/Recorder. But it will be capable of writing in a DVD-R for General Drive/recorder, DVD-RAM/-R Drive and a DVD-RW Drive/recorder.

Make sure you get the right style disk to use with your drive.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-15-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A07, DVD Studio Pro 3 and Toast 5 (or 6) kills any other option possible.

On Windows, Nero is easy to use and the best there is. It is not bloatware like Philliam insinuates. Phil, are you sure you and Brad are not the same person? "I can't figure it out! You mean I might have to use the FILE drop down menu for something?" [Smile] [Smile]

Adam Martin

- posted 06-15-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you're talking about, Phil. Nero is pretty much drag and drop for data discs (or video discs that have been prepped to the hard drive) and I've yet to make a coaster with it for either data or video since they added video disc functionality to it. I'm running 5.5.xx with an A03, waiting patiently for the dual-layer drives/media to become available.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-15-2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Joe and Adam. Sonic's software is crap, although I will agree Plextor makes awful good burners, the Pioneer is the best for DVD work.

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 04:28 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta agree with Phil, the Plextor PX-708A is fast as hell, the software it comes with is pretty good as well. I still haven't bought any dvd copying software yet, I still believe that with enough time spent between me and Google, I'll find something for free.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-15-2004 05:02 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Ass Itches said:

quote: Joe Redifer
Phil, are you sure you and Brad are not the same person?
JFC Joe! You KNOW damn well that although Brad *thinks* he is smarter than me, I am much better looking. Thus PROVING he and me are indeed two different individuals.

It's really a shame that you, Brad, and Adam don't know WTF yous are talkin' 'bout!

All you cheap asses (assi ?) need to stop using the "bundled" progs and spend some $$$ and get the REAL thing! You will then be "converted" and know Heaven.

>>> Phil

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-15-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steer clear of Adobe Encore if you're contemplating it for DVD authoring. Although it looks like an attractively positioned product (i.e. at a price point halfway between the bundled stuff which comes with burners and the professional packages which cost four figures), Encore is a bug-ridden, crash-prone pile of shite, even with the patch installed.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-15-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bundled programs? What are you talking about? All the cool kids pirate! [Smile]

DVD Studio Pro 1.5 for the Mac is still the best authoring program (but not burning). It beats DVDSP 2 and only DVDSP 3 comes close.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-15-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Too late Leo. I already tried Encore and it does indeed cause the computer to crash constantly.

I had enough and just bought a G5. It's definitely the way to go.

Adam Martin

- posted 06-16-2004 12:37 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
That was just the f*ed up XP install you had, Brad. I've yet to have Encore crash. You're just pissed it doesn't run under W2K.

It does, however, not give any indication to how it will order the program chain on the final disc. [Roll Eyes] The workaround is to not assemble the final program in Encore, but output a single edited program from Premiere and then add any chapter points and menus with Encore and burn it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, Adam - I'll give it a try. The workaround I'd be using thusfar was to output an image file from Encore and then burn it as an HFS using Nero, since, after you put the patch in, 99% of the crashes seem to happen during the final burning process.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: