Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Concern for my 85 year old mother

Author Topic: Concern for my 85 year old mother
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-12-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had planned to see STEPFORD WIVES and GARFIELD this weekend but they as well as other movies are on hold until my 85 year old mother is released from the hospital. Although my mother has been totally blind for many years, she has enjoyed excellent health except for her blood pressure and Osteoporosis. It is her Osteoporosis that is the cause of her hospitalization when she fractured her lower back bone just by slightly twisting her body the other day. She is receiving excellent care at the hospital and is eating and sleeping well but I am still very concerned about her health. My late 89 year old father was admitted into the hospital for a severe stroke in 1997 and while his doctors were treating him for that condition, he developed pneumonia and was lucky to survive. He was released after two weeks but his mind was gone. Almost a year later, he suffered another stroke and was admitted again. Like the first time, he came down with pneumonia again but he did not survive this time. Less than a week and a half after his doctor reassured us that his stroke was not life threatening, he was dead. My father was not the only person I knew that had died in a hospital from pneumonia after being admitted for a non life threatening condition. A remember Mrs. Graham, who was my dorm mother at Brooks Institute who lost her 88 year old mother from pneumonia after being admitted into a hospital for a broken hip bone when she fell from a chair. I have talked to the hospital staff about my fear of mother developing pneumonia and they told my sister and I as mother responds to her daily exercise routine they prescribe for her, she will be all right. Have any of you also lost loved one's from pneumonia after they were admitted into a hosiptal for a non life threatening condition?

I know my mother will not live forever but with many people living until they are in their nineties like the late President Reagan, I always pray my mother will live just as long or even longer.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-12-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I certainly hope all goes well. I know the position you are in at the present as my father of 93 years old is having some serious problems, too.

I won't go into detail, as I no longer desire to discuss personal information in a public forum. Someone will take it out of context.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-12-2004 10:32 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I also hope everything goes well. You and your mother will be in my thoughts.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-13-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that pneumonia happens from fluid collecting in the lungs due to inactivity. I would try to keep her moving around (i.e., not lying in one position for an extended time). Probably wouldn't hurt to have her cough every now and then, too.

Just my thoughts, so keep in close touch with the doctor regarding preventive measures.

You are in our prayers.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-13-2004 01:54 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other things besides inactivity can cause pneumonia. But for older people inactivity is probably the leading cause of it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-14-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude:

I hope your mother recovers and lives for many more enjoyable years. [thumbsup] Hospitals can be life savers, but the change in environment can be traumatic for an elderly person, leading to new and sometimes unforeseen problems.

My 94-year old father was admitted to treat an arm infection, but got pneumonia, which led to several heart attacks, that led to his death, within the span of a few weeks. Unfortunately, the body sometimes gets quite fragile with great age, so it doesn't take much to cause a crisis.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-16-2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to thank all of you who had responded to my post with your expression of concern as well as your prayers and suggestions on how to prevent my mother from coming down with pneumonia. All of the staff members at the Kapiolani Medical Centre in Aiea as well as her doctor are all doing a wonderful job taking good care of mother. Although she is still suffering severe pain from the bone fracture in her lower back, she is eating well and getting a lot of sleep. Although full recovery will take time, she is looking forward to getting well again and that is good.

-Claude

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-16-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good news, Claude. My thoughts are with you and her. [Smile]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-17-2004 12:09 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude and Paul, take good care of those parents of yours. My grandfather died when he was 61, but his wife survived to a youthful 94. There wasn't a day she wasn't trying to bake someone one of her apple pies.

My prayers go out to you and your respective parents. My own mother, who is 60 this year, has survived thyroid cancer, heart failure, but now diabetes has destroyed her kidneys and she is in total renal failure. My own father who is 62, has been suffering from a form of MS for the last three years, and it has taken its toll. I have learned that thier time is limited, so I make sure to contact them frequently and let them know what they mean to me.

Never miss a chance people.

Ciao

Dave [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Dave. Sometimes I have to admit I may have lost sight of what you said. When it happens, it is too late to make ammends.

Then one has to live with that dark cloud of guilt that will be hanging over one's head for the rest of their life.

You provided some excellent advice. Again, thank you. [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-17-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Like Paul, I would like to thank you for your excellent advise and your concern. Although my mother is eating all of her meals and getting a lot of rest, I am still very concerned about her. Perhaps I might too overly concerned because everything so far looks very promising. Another thing that is going for my mother is her much lower blood pressure compared to a higher reading which required medication before she was admitted into the hospital. Lets keep our fingers crossed, my mother broken bone will heal very soon and she can come home again very soon. [Smile]

-Claude

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 08:37 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the best, Claude.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: