Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Legendary Singer Ray Charles Dies

Author Topic: Legendary Singer Ray Charles Dies
Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From WCVB Channel 5 Boston
www.thebostonchannel.com

quote: thebostonchannel.com
A spokesman says music legend Ray Charles has died. He was 73.

Spokesman Jerry Digney said Charles died today while surrounded by family and friends.

The Grammy-winning crooner blended gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as "What'd I Say" and heartfelt ballads like "Georgia on My Mind."

A gifted pianist and saxophonist, Charles explored many musical genres, including blues, country, jazz and big band. Among his classic hits were "Hit the Road Jack" and "I Can't Stop Loving You." He also gave different creative spins to "America the Beautiful" and "Makin' Whoopee."

He also collaborated on pop tunes, which included a piano/vocal duet, "Baby Grand," with Billy Joel, in 1986.

Charles was born Ray Charles Robinson in Albany, Ga., on Sept. 23, 1930. He lost his sight to glaucoma at age 7 and was orphaned at age 15.

Charles won nine of his 12 Grammy Awards between 1960 and 1966, including the best R&B recording three consecutive years.

He was also an original inductee of the Rock and Roll of Hall of Fame in 1986.

Last year nagging hip problems forced Charles to call off his first tour in 53 years. More than 30 other shows during Charles' career had to be called off because of his hips.

"It breaks my heart to withdraw from these shows," Charles said in a statement in August. "All my life, I've been touring and performing. It's what I do. But the doctors insist I stay put and mend for a while, so I'll heed their advice."

Charles' last public appearance was alongside Clint Eastwood on April 30, when the city of Los Angeles designated the singer's studios, built 40 years ago in central Los Angeles, as a historic landmark.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-10-2004 05:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's sad news. He was one-of-a-kind, certainly, and what funny bit he had in "The Blues Brothers". Classic.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 06:13 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should add some value for some people who see "Ray" this holiday season.

Sad sad thing though...

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Next stop, Melrose, I think" -Ray Charles playing a bus driver in Spy Hard

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Man...

He was a good guy...

RIP

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-11-2004 10:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Charles will be missed. [Frown] Fortunately, his music and memory will live on forever. Who can forget his opening song for "In the Heat of the Night"? I also cherish seeing his wonderful live performance at ShoWest quite a few years ago.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-11-2004 10:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Albany, GA a decade ago --the small city where Ray Charles was born. Near downtown, along US-82, a large billboard next to the river had a large picture of Ray Charles as a promotion for Albany. However, in the couple years I lived there I'm not sure if Charles ever visited.

Lots of famous people come from small obscure cities and tiny towns, but typically stay located in a large city once they hit their stride. I didn't know Baseball Hall of Fame catcher, Johnny Bench made his boyhood home in Binger, Oklahoma. I only found out about the bit of trivia when designing a sign for Binger's High School. I was walking through the school to meet the principal to discuss the sign project and stopped next to a big trophy cabinet. It was filled with lots of Johnny Bench memorabilia. At first I couldn't even believe it. Bench is the guy that put that little town on the map. The same thing goes about Ray Charles; he's the most famous guy from Albany, GA. Lots of people there never knew him, but they'll all sure miss him.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-11-2004 10:53 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that, in tribute to Ray Charles, everybody should go around wearing black Ray Ban glasses with dark lenses for a day! [Big Grin]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! This is both shocking and sad. I didn't hear about this until my brother told me this morning. Seems like his death has been overshadowed by some rich white guy in a suit that kicked the bucket over a week ago. Not even so much as a mention in Yahoo News. (had to do a search) Unfortunate. I find this to be more of an impact than that other dude.

Mr. Charles was an amazing man. I have several blind friends, and it's truly amazing what they can accomplish. I would be completely lost in a world of darkness, yet these people seem to do more despite their handicap than most people who have use of all of their senses. It's a type of admiration for these individuals that has to be felt to be understood.

My friend Jim and his wife hang windchimes around the house so that they jingle when the fan blows by them. Seemed kind of odd to me until I closed my eyes, the breeze felt more natural, the sound of the chimes played a calming tune, and for a moment I felt like I was outside. Even little things, like installing metal awnings so they can hear the rain, or lining the path to the front door with gravel so they can hear when someone is approaching was like them telling their handicap to shove it, because they're going to adapt no matter what. [thumbsup]

It is kind of odd when they pour drinks, though. Put the tip of your finger at the edge of the cup so you know when it's full. [Wink] And forget asking for a pencil. "Hmmm. You know, we never thought to buy any!"

Mr. Charles will be missed. "A Legend" is an uderstatement. [Frown] Think I'll go put on some Ray Charles records since everything on TV is pre-empted for that other dude.

=TMP=

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray Charles will be missed, incredible musician and entertainer..

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 04:07 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw him once in person, but I'm glad my wife and I got to enjoy his singing at his Carnegie Hall concert.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: