Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Two questions about small insignificant but strange computer behavior

Author Topic: Two questions about small insignificant but strange computer behavior
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-10-2004 03:47 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I reinstalled my computer fresh and clean. Since the reinstall, Outlook always leaves a file without filename ("~") on the desktop after I close the program. When opened with a text editor, there is some code and in between what looks like the list of my contacts. Why does it do that?

2. My printer (HP Deskjet 840C) pulls in a page and spits it out without printing on it every 10 minutes or so. It always does that when I leave it switched on. It also pulls through a blank page when I start Windows. There are no queued up or outstanding print jobs.
[Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-10-2004 08:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may or may not help you, but I would get rid of Outlook in favor of Eudora. Much less trouble, and more reliable.
[Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-10-2004 09:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed totally. Also, thanks to its 'diasble executable HTML content in messages' feature, it's inherently a lot more virus-proof.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-10-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just dump it in the trash.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-10-2004 08:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Mike, since the above "brainiacs" have elected to spout their "religion" rather than answer your question, let me at least answer your 1st question.

There is a bug (or what programmers like Daryl commonly call a "feature") that for some reason writes any change to your address book to a backup file and then stores it on the desktop. You have a couple of options: Move it to a different place, or delete it. I just delete it.

As to your printer issue... I don't have an answer as all of my printers do not have that problem ...HP or not. I'm running XP Pro on all machines and printers on a network. Perhaps there is a printer driver upgrade available at the HP site?

Also, Outlook allows you to disable executable HTML if you are so inclined. I am NOT! I just use Norton and other prgs for protection.

>>> Phil

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 01:57 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
1. I reinstalled my computer fresh and clean. Since the reinstall, Outlook always leaves a file without filename ("~") on the desktop after I close the program. When opened with a text editor, there is some code and in between what looks like the list of my contacts. Why does it do that?

Google's Usenet search is your friend. Usually many people have had a similar problem before. I just searched for Outlook tilde.

quote:
I am finding a handful of machines with a file on the desktop with the
filename of just a tilde ~. Am suspicious as to why machines are suddenly
appearing with this. Norton antivirus scans and Spybot S&D come up with
nothing. Is this harmless or something else possibly? Any clues?
=================
Hi Michele,

It's harmless, an artifact of a patch applied to Outlook. This article explains it all. Scroll down to the tip about changing the startup directory for a workaround to the problem.

Kevin Jarrett
Technology Facilitator, K-8
Northfield Community School

http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/

A file named with the single tilde character (~) appears on your desktop. What is it and why is it there?

This file started appearing on people's desktop after the April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994) update released by Microsoft. If that update is installed and you take any action that changes the Windows Address Book the tilde file will appear on your desktop.

You can find out more about the update itself from the Microsoft page...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp
When you change the Address Book, what should happen is that a backup called YOURNAME.WA~ would be created in the directory C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book. This is a backup to the Address Book named YOURNAME.WAB in that same directory. With the update installed, however, the backup does not get installed into the correct directory and the name gets shortened to just the ending tilde (~) character. This file appears on your Desktop instead of where it should appear.

You have four options to "fix" this:

Uninstall the patch. If you do this you may open your computer to the security problems that the patch fixes. And, Windows Update will notice that the patch is not present and, depending on how you have Windows Update configured, may reinstall it automatically or ask you to allow it to reinstall it. You will have to tell Windows Update "no" if you don't want to continue having the tilde file on your Desktop.

Leave the patch installed and simply delete the tilde (~) file every time it appears. If you do this the consequence will be that you don't have a current backup of your Windows Address Book. Having this backup may or may not be important to you.

Leave the patch installed and move/rename the tilde (~) file every time it appears. While this would be the safest option it is also the one that requires the most work. You will have to rename the tilde (~) file to YOURNAME.WA~ (substitute your login name for YOURNAME) and then move the file to the C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book directory and have it overwrite the file of the same name there.

Change the startup directory so the file appears elsewhere. If you right click on the Outlook Express shortcut and choose Properties from the menu you will be presented with a dialog box. One of the entries in the dialog will be "Start In:". Change that entry to read: C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\ and the tilde file should then be created in that directory instead of on the desktop. You should also change the shortcut in the Start|Programs menu the same way so the tilde files won't be produced there either. This won't solve the problem, of course, but it puts the file where you don't have to be bothered by it and, since you know where it is, can recover it if need be. (Thanks to a user for a pointer to this tip.)

Microsoft is supposed to be aware of the problem and will likely eventually fix it (perhaps in a new version of the program instead of an update).

If you're not certain, rename the file to TEST.WAB and move it to the indicated directory above. Then double click it and see if the Address Book applet in Windows starts and shows your address book.

------------

quote: Michael Schaffer
2. My printer (HP Deskjet 840C) pulls in a page and spits it out without printing on it every 10 minutes or so. It always does that when I leave it switched on. It also pulls through a blank page when I start Windows. There are no queued up or outstanding print jobs.

There is a damn cat in the printer. Throw it away.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 06:17 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem when my laptop is connected to the printer. I am running XPPro on the laptop and it kicks out a page about every 10 minutes. I am running XP Pro on the other computers and have not had this issue. I have not found the resaon for this to happen as of yet.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 07:24 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never run into your printer problem, but I do know that HP 800 series (and later) print drivers sends out an "are you there" heartbeat that their printers respond with an acknowledgement back to the driver every now and again. My guess is that after the re-install, windows selected the wrong driver (or configuration) for the printer, and your printer is getting a heartbeat message that it does not understand and that is what is triggering your blank page.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-11-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clearing the tilde mystery up.
The printer has always behaved like this even before the new installation. I will download the drivers from HP (although I don`t think they will be much different) and reinstall these.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-11-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can only disable executable HTML? How about HTML altogether? Isn't ordinary HTML still going to pull up files served from elsewhere which therefore violates your privacy by confirming if/when the mail was opened?

Not only do I use Eudora but I use really old, pre-bloatware/adware Eudora.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: