Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Back In The Saddle Again!

Author Topic: Back In The Saddle Again!
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, this is not about Gene Autry. It's about me asking for your good thoughts and support.

After seven years of attempting to raise the funding for my local project, and failing, I have given it up and have accepted an offer to be a manager at a 10 screener here in the Northwest.
I will probably be the oldest manager in that chain but I find the possibilities exciting. The GM (who is in his late 50s) said he was excited to get a more mature person on his staff as basically he's been dealing with "kids".

While there have been a lot of changes since I was in the business I have managed to keep abreast of them and am really looking forward to becoming active again in the business I love.

Although he can't legally discriminate because of my age (and I don't believe he'd want to) I haven't yet told him how old I am as I want to show him that this "Old Showman" can do the job even at 72.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a current picture of you? Nobody would ever guess how old you are from that!

You must have some of those Dick Clark genes 'cuz you don't look any where NEAR 70 anno!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's me Randy. Thanks. The pic is about a year old. I've since trimmed of my sideburns. I feel really blessed to be in this good of health at my age. And it's not necessarily because I've been such a clean liver. [Big Grin]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 07:23 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob--
Good luck in your endevours. I know that once you get out of
showbiz, it keeps calling you back... regardless of age. I got
out after a 45 year run and into a different profession.
Again GOOD LUCK!!

fjn
Local 294 Ret.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with this new endevour

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-08-2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, I hope everything works out great for you! [thumbsup]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-08-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, good luck Robert! Perhaps your project can just go on a back burner somewhere for now--never know when some benefactor will show up! [thumbsup]

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 11:22 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Robert, now show 'em what showmanship is all about.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck! [thumbsup]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2004 12:59 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck & remember to have fun!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-09-2004 09:01 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy your work. I'm sure that Showmanship and "Film Done Right" will be the hallmarks of your theatre. [Smile]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-09-2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you well Bob, I have no doubts that you will do an excellent job. Theatre is in your blood and excellence seems to be one of your motto's from the responses that I have read from you.

You have a vast array of friends here on film-tech to draw advice from, don't hesitate to use it either on line or through personal memorandums.

I wish you well, Good Luck.

The other, Bob

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw shucks guys and gals, you've got me tearing up already. Thank you my friends.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-10-2004 12:57 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could get back in the game again I would, but this old bag of bones just can't keep up with the game today.

You really don't look a day over 52. Go kick some teenager rear and show them a thing or two. My best wishes are with you, and good luck.

Ciao

Dave [Cool]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-10-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you'll have fun with it, Robert! I'm happy for you. And I know it'll be top-shelf all the way.

Keep your dream alive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: