Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 77th Academy Sci-Tech Awards

Author Topic: 77th Academy Sci-Tech Awards
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-05-2004 05:02 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the 2003 AMPAS Sci-Tech Award winners were announced, there was some discussion in the Kodak Wins Another Academy Sci-Tech Award thread about how the nomination process worked, and whether Film-Guard could be nominated, etc., etc.

I was a bit behind on email this week, but on Tuesday the Academy sent out their press release:

quote:

June 1, 2004
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
dnewell@oscars.org

Academy Mails Sci-Tech Applications for 77th Academy Awards®

Beverly Hills, CA — The 77th Annual Academy Awards race is on. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has mailed application forms for the 2004 Scientific and Technical Awards.

Entry forms were sent to more than 850 companies and individuals, including past winners, within the sci-tech community both in the United States and abroad.

"This is a very specific and detailed process," said Committee Chair Richard Edlund, "which is why we send applications out now. We can then begin to collect a list of achievements that can be considered by the Sci-Tech Awards Committee for recognition at the 77th Academy Awards."

In order to be considered, achievements must show exceptional merit and evidence of having provided significant advances in the production of motion pictures.

"Technologies and achievements don't have to have been invented within the past year," said Awards Administration Director Rich Miller. "Actually, they must have a proven track record of continued and successful use in the film industry,"

All entry applications must be submitted to the Academy no later than Friday, July 30.

Technical advances submitted to the Scientific and Technical Awards Committee will be evaluated by both the main committee and sub-committees comprised of distinguished engineers, scientists and craftspersons before being recommended to the Academy's Board of Governors for award consideration.

Information and application packets may be obtained by contacting Rich Miller's office via phone at 310-247-3000, ext. 130; by fax at 310-859-9619; via e-mail to scitech@oscars.org or by visiting the Academy website at www.oscars.org.

So this year's deadline is about the same, but there's a much longer period for applications between the press release and the deadline (2 months instead a week).

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-05-2004 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edlund? So that's what he's doing now. Handing out swag.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-05-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Members of the Academy Sci-Tech Committee are mostly working technical professionals in the movie industry. One of Kodak's engineers in Hollywood is currently serving on the committee.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-05-2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone at Technicolor Digital had them send me an application a couple years ago, for my InterMaster™ Digital Film Process, used in the restoration of numerous drive-in trailers that we sell on ScreenAttractions.Com. Since I didn't have anything tangible for a reviewing committee to evaluate, like software to do what I did manually (and I still don't -- hello, programmers), I didn't apply.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-06-2004 01:23 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need no stinkin' "programmers", you need a mathematician to devise an algorithm. Then, preferably a software engineer who can actually implement it properly.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-06-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... "software engineer". That still doesn't get me any volunteers. [Razz]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-06-2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a "software engineer" but then I escaped from that cubicle/cell three years ago this month. "Volunteer"... Must be one of them there foreign words. What does it mean? [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-06-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No! "Mathematician" is the volunteer du jour.

Once you find that sucker, then you need to find a real software engineer (someone who actually has a B.Eng in computer engineering or software engineering) who can actually implement the mathematician's algorithm in an efficient and accurate manner, not some slob (or 'computer scientist') that has 'mastered' Visual Anything, etc. and calls him/herself a software engineer.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-10-2004 09:32 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday the Academy announced the 17 achievements "selected for review." For all the administrative details, see the press release. Note that additional entries can be submitted though 5pm on Sep. 23.

These are the 17:
  • Hot Gears Remote Systems; Salamati Productions, Inc.
  • FX Motion E-Gearing System; FX Motion
  • Silicone Appliances—Special Makeup; Greg Cannom
  • Truematch Compact Fluorescent Lamp Series KF 29, KF 32, KF 55; Kino Flo, Inc.
  • Satellight-X (HMI Softlight); Satellite-X, Inc.
  • Kodak Vision2 500T Color Negative Film 5218; Eastman Kodak Company
  • Perfect Horizon; Motion Picture Marine
  • Sparrow Head; Doggicam Systems
  • Telescopic Cameracrane; Technocrane
  • Vicon 8 Motion Capture System with MCAMS; Vicon Motion Systems
  • Adobe After Effects Software; Adobe Systems, Inc.
  • Apple Shake; Apple Computer
  • High Resolution 3D Laser Scanner; National Research Council of Canada
  • Polhemus Fastscan (Handheld 3D Laser Scanner); Applied Research Associates NZ Ltd.
  • Shapeware; Eyetronics
  • Storm (Software for Creating Volumetric Effects); Digital Domain
  • Cedar DNS 1000; Cedar Audio, Ltd.
--jhawk

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-01-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One year later, application requests for the 78th sci-tech awards have been mailed. Once again, your chance to nominate FilmGuard...

--jhawk

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 01:59 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this is the last year I'll mention it [Smile]
Application forms are being mailed, filing deadline is Tuesday, August 1, 2006.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: