Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows XP Home Problems

Author Topic: Windows XP Home Problems
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am fixing a computer for someone. I can't figure out this problem. It is stuck to the classic logon screen. I checked in User accounts and it is checked to use the welcome screen. When I reset the system, it is logging in, it goes in under the classic logon screen asking for a password. Since there is no password, I just press enter and it logs on to windows. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-31-2004 12:11 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to trip it by a little check mark in the window that is brought up by clicking on the passwords\user icon in the control panel. As far as I can tell, (I am new at XP) when it is installed, it is assumed that the installer is the "King" and he /she will automatically log on until he/she sets the password option.

Somebody correct me if I am in error on this presumption..

AND

Don't forget the administrator password. If you do, you are screwed.

-

Note: This is for W2K. Seems as though I had to go through the same hoops when I installed a XP Pro on my big machine as well as XP Home on my little 733 boat anchor.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 07:13 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The W2K classic 'users and passwords' dialogue shown in Paul's picture doesn't automatically install in XP: you get a scaled down version with pretty pictures but very limited functionality instead. If you download Autopatcher , this lets you put the proper version in as an option. Alternatively, you can change user and password settings in XP that you can't get at through the 'dumbed down' screen in the control panel dialogue through - start - settings - control panel - administrative tools - computer management - local users and groups.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-31-2004 07:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There actually is a solution to the "lost administrator password" problem:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It's a Linux boot floppy that will let you reset the password to a new value. It works with NT4, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. I don't know if it works with the "home" version, however.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-31-2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo is correct. Here is how you can get into it the easy way. And, yes...Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work the way it does in W2K. Thanks for the corrections, Leo. As I mentioned, I went through this crap with XP only twice. [Smile]

-

The next screen: Select the option you want.

-

Scott, thanks for the information. This might be very handy to know for us old klutzes that CRS. (Can't remember ****) [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: