Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MN Gas stations fined for charging TOO LITTLE! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: MN Gas stations fined for charging TOO LITTLE!
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2004 11:00 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's complete bull that gas station owners can't charge what they want for gas. As long as they pay the taxes, who cares? Another reason we should burn Jesse Ventura at the stake. [Wink] I hope the state will tell me how to charge for admissions now! (I hope this isnt considered political)

quote:
ST. PAUL - Just in time for Memorial Day weekend, Minnesota's Commerce Department (news - web sites) is cracking down on service stations over the price of gasoline. The problem: Some stations aren't charging enough.

Under Gov. Jesse Ventura, the state adopted a law in 2001 that prohibits gas stations from selling gas without taking a minimum profit. These days, they must charge at least 8 cents per gallon, plus taxes, more than they paid for it.

On Friday, the Commerce Department announced a $70,000 fine against Arkansas-based Murphy Oil for breaking the law at its 10 stations in the state, based at Wal-Mart stores and elsewhere. They also fined Kwik Trip Inc. $5,000 for violations at one station in Apple Valley

The two are the first fines levied under the law, which is similar to minimum-price laws in about a dozen states. Another two dozen have broader laws banning predatory pricing.

"The Legislature makes the law, and we enforce the law," said Carol Hockert, director of the department's weights and measures division.

It's her job to investigate alleged violations of the law, and there are plenty.

Hockert said she receives as many as 100 complaints a week, mostly from competitors convinced neighboring stations aren't charging enough.

In many cases they're wrong — the wholesale price changes day to day, and often one station might still be selling gas in its reserves that it bought at a cheaper price while its competitor only has newer, higher-priced gas to sell.

But stations turn over their supply fast, Hockert said, and if a station continually sells gasoline for less than what the department knows the wholesaler sold it for, she investigates.

"If $1.95 was legal yesterday, they get the benefit of the doubt," she said. "If $1.95 hasn't been a legal price for two weeks, then clearly it's a violation."

Complaints have risen right along with gas prices, she said.

According to AAA, gasoline is about 60 cents higher this Memorial Day weekend than last. The average price of gas in Minnesota is $2.02. SOURCE

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2004 11:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Minnesota is stupid. I can see why you want to flee quickly.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-31-2004 12:42 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that too.

There are many states that have a minimum mark-up law. Wisconsin, I believe, is also one of those. At least it was in 1980. There law was 6%. I have outlaws that live in Minnesota, and their laws are very similar to Wisconsin's.

Many states do this to prevent big businesses form killing the little mama and papa enterprises. These laws were supposed to give an equal playing field, but unfortunately it always doesn't work out the way the it was intended.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
If only I had the gas to flee. My car needs a tune-up to get better gas mileage, but I'm paying too much in gas to afford the service. [Mad] Not tht getting a projectionist's wage is helping that either... [Roll Eyes]

Up here we have these huge farm stores called Mills' Fleet Farm and their gas islands make a point to undercut the other gas stations around them by a few cents. I usually fill up there... that could be contributing to my fuel economy too, I guess...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-31-2004 07:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys...where are you gonna flee? Jeeze, up here it is now about 2.35 per gallon of unleaded regular in some places. California is probably worse. The cheapest is ARCO which is about 2.27 to 2.29 per gallon.

You dudes in the midwest don't know how lucky you are on gas prices.

Where ever you are, just accept it. It is not going to get any better.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 07:12 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't going to flee because of gas prices, I'm going to flee back to Colorado because I dont like Minnesota rain or "Minnesota nice". [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-31-2004 09:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Complain, complain, complain. [Wink] It's like a competition!

I win... I paid $2.90 for premium tonight, it's $2.60 for regular.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 10:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anybody pay for premium grade gas?

There are very few cars that need to have it. As long as your car is burning the minimum octane level it was designed for it will run well. (Most cars' specs are OK for "regular" grade gasoline.) Furthermore, you get no better mileage or performance (in most cars) than you do with regular. I have checked.

For two weeks at a time I bought only a certain grade of gas for my car and kept close watch on fuel mileage and performance. After six weeks, (two weeks for each grade of fuel) I put the data into a spreadsheet and made a graph. It came out "flat line": ZERO correlation between grade of gas and mileage or performance. (Performance was checked by doing acceleration time tests from 0-50 MPH and from 40-65 MPH.)

I have done this on two cars that I have owned:

1) 1995 Dodge Neon. (4 Cyl. - 5 Speed manual trans.)
2) 2000 Mazda 626. (6 Cyl. - 5 Speed manual trans.)

The ONLY things that made a consistent, measureable difference in mileage or performance were:

1) Average daily temperature. You get as much as 20% less mileage on a cold winter day as you do on a hot summer day.
2) Gear shifting patterns. (e.g.: Upshifting at 2,000 RPM versus upshifting at 1,800 or 1,500 RPM.)
3) Highway versus city driving.

I once drove over the Great Smoky Mountains (North Carolina I-40) with over 1,000 pounds of gear in my Dodge Neon. (A "Century C" projector, "SH-1000" sound head, a "suitcase style" Strong switching rectifier AND all my other tools/equipment) PLUS my weight. I weighed 250 lbs. -- A total of 1,250 lbs. in a car rated for 850 lbs. of "passengers + cargo"!

I had to use one gear lower than usual. (If I normally use 3rd gear I used 2nd instead.) I also had to lay off the accelerator a bit to keep the RPMs down. I ended up going, maybe, 10 MPH slower than usual. The amazing thing is that I got the exact same mileage on that trip as I usually did! Maybe it had a lot to do with the fact that I coasted down the other side of the mountain. The mountain driving was only PART of the trip. (Knoxville, TN to Greensboro, NC.) Most of the trip was on reasonably flat ground. Once I got up to normal highway speed on flat ground I was able to drive mostly normally unless you count braking distance. The car ran a bit hotter than usual for the mountain part of the trip but I am thouroughly convinced that grade of gasoline has virtually NOTHING to do with a car's performance. (Unless the car is designed to run on a particular grade.)

Considering the price we pay for gas today, it would take a lot of convincing to make me think that anybody who pays for premium grade gas isn't flushing his money down the toilet.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Why would anybody pay for premium grade gas?

There are very few cars that need to have it. As long as your car is burning the minimum octane level it was designed for it will run well.

Well you answered your own question. ThunderBird Super Coupes are one of those vehicles. It happens that that is what I drive.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 10:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say this but it sucks to be you right now! [Frown]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-31-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my vehicle gets 60 miles to the gallon, I dont give a shit what I put in it its still cheap [Razz]

happily riding a 92 250 ninja in the rain

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stop it! You're making me miss my ZX6. [Frown]

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 11:46 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if your engines compression ratio is 9:1 or under, you would probably make more power on the lower octane fuel(supercharged cars not included). The lower octane fuel needs less heat and pressure to ignite and it reacts much quicker reaching peak combustion chamber pressure faster, thus pushing the piston with greater force from top dead center. This quicker reaction time also allows for more complete fuel usage in the time window of the combustion stroke.

All that crap aside, Daryl, take the rotors out of your blower and enjoy the cheaper fuel. [Big Grin] If you could keep your foot out of it, you wouldn't need the premium. It's only the increased cylinder pressure the supercharger creates that make the high octane necessary. If you keep the boost down, you'd be ok. I've built alot of engines with blowers for the street and track, and the streeters run just fine with 89 octane unless the boost gets up there. (8 lbs. or more)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that would defeat the whole purpose now, wouldn't it! I like my 20psi of boost thanks! [Big Grin]

I'm not complaining about the cost anyway. Heck, I spend more on food a week than I do fuel. Actually, I spend more on car insurance than fuel too, and I don't have a single ticket, or anything else on my record... ever.

Now if you want to talk about expensive fuel consumption, some of our small imported military aircraft consume upwards of 60 gallons per hour on take off.

400 horsepower out of 6 cylinders into straight pipes is a great way to wake the neighbors up Saturday morning. [thumbsup]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-01-2004 03:39 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Premium gas eats crap. It has been proven that most cars don't need that stuff. Again, insult the engine manufacturer"s recommendations on what you have to burn.

Unless you have a high performance engine, the average motorized cage will run just fine on regular. The last time I ever had to burn a premium grade of gas was with those damned Harley Hogs I drove.

Josh, enjoy it while you can. Soon you will paying through the butt - just like most who are not residing in the midwest.

There are three things people lie about.

(1) The gasoline milage on their vehicle
(2) The number to times they have been laid
(3) The length of their <ahem>.

I usually don't lie.

(1) My rigs get shitty milage.
(2) The last time I got laid was in 1974.
(3) At my age, the only thing it is good for is peeing through. [Big Grin]

And for the rest of you ying-yangs...I look at a motorized cage to get from point "A" to point "B" in a reliable manner in the cheapest way possible. My car does not have to be equipped with an automatic toilet paper holder, and it does not have to weigh 10,000 lbs, or capable of going 210 MPH.

Jeeze...if I wanted to go that fast, I would strap a JATO to my butt. [Big Grin]

So, There!!!!! KMA!!!! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: