Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone ever hear of CINEMAWORLD?

Author Topic: Anyone ever hear of CINEMAWORLD?
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 08:21 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was announced in the Providence Journal that a company called "CINEMAWORLD" was going to build a movie theater at the Lincoln Mall in Lincoln, Rhode Island. Anyone ever hear of this company?

Paul Goulet

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-25-2004 08:38 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua Waaland has, he used to work there, according to his last post in the Outing Bad Film-Handlers thread. Doesnt sound like too good of a company to me. [thumbsdown]

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 08:29 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! I worked for CW's only Florida location in West Melbourne. Lemme tell you, not a good company at all. Poor projection practices (and projectionists.) I got written up for stupid little things, and ended up getting fired for posting pics in the Picture Wearhouse without asking my GM first. He thought I was trying to go over his head or something. I can tell you that if I did not get fired, I would have left on my own real soon, as I was quite unhappy there.

The worst part about the whole thing is that about a month after I got fired, I heard from a manager at another theater a rumor -which was nowhere close to true - about why I got fired. I don't know who started the rumor, but the management should not have allowed it to continue. To this day it pisses me off, and that is why, among other reasons, I refuse to patronize that theater.

P.S. I searched for Joshua's post in the Outing Bad Film Handlers thread, but could find it. I even did a search for his name, and that thread came up, but I couldn't find his post. I'm curious.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-25-2004 10:27 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, its on the second to the last page. Part of his post below:

quote:
I used to work for Cinema World in my hometown when I was still in high school (90-94) and for a few years after. Cinema World.........hmmmmm.......how can I put this lightly....well they were very cheap! First we had substandard equipment to say the least. They built the theater 3 years before I started and installed a mishmosh of used equipment. 8 theaters and 4 different kinds of projectors, 5 different kinds of soundheads, 2-3 different kinds of sound systems, and 5-6 different kinds of automations. The automations were so bad we would have to open the cabinet every start to a show and turn the cams by hand to dim the lights. (I got shocked several times doing this). We eventually just started flipping the breaker off to avoid being shocked. There were also 4 different kinds of platters and everything was in dire need of maintenance. The platters were so bad that when you started the film you would have to race to the take-up platter to slow it so that the carriage would not hit the top of it's travel and break the film. I visited my buddy who still works there part-time 2 weeks ago and the projectors are in worse shape than ever. You probably couldn't even get scrap money for them.

I usually got stuck with the thursday night shift. At that time we were paid $4.25 an hour with no overtime pay. Our normal rotation required 4-5 movies changing weekly (we only had two theaters in town and we got a lot of bookings). So after the shift was over I would start moving the films (by myself), changing lenses, masking, aperature plates,(all manually) changing signs, breaking down the prints and building the prints for the next day. The platters and make-up tables left something to be desired. The were badly warped and had no constant tension. As a result the rewind jobs were generally crappy. Now I am a person who likes to take pride in doing a good job, but I had enough! I got so sick of being the last one there till 5-6 am and not having any help and having to jerry rig everything to get it to work because they would not send us parts! After that my performance went in the gutter. I didn't give a rat's who got the print after me! Chances were that I probably owed them one anyways for sending me one the same way!

Once I started working at Cinemark I thought to myself "Now this is the way that a projection booth is supposed to look". They had all newer equipment that was well taken care of and on a regular maintenance schedule. We had checklists every night of things to clean. All the equipment was the same. It was like heaven to me.

I am not proud of my performance then, but I was much younger and immature and I had enough of the cutting corners by Cinema World. Maybe some of the bad breakdowns are due to laziness (actually probably a large part) but some might be because of people in the same situation I was in. I don't know just a thought.

Josh

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at the CinemaWorld I worked at -- which, by the way, is the same company as the Massachusetts-based CinemaWolrd -- the booth was definitely NOT the problem. In fact, they have one of the nicest booths I've ever seen. Big Sky equipment package, including Kinoton PK-60D heads! (My favorite.) CP-650's in every house. Check out the pictures on this site. Definitely a nice booth. I hope the new one they are building is just as nice.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to rant, but remember, a small business may not be able to buy new and shiny equipment. I know for a fact that they now have a former union projectionist (pushed out of AMC) with many years of experience, working as an assistant manager in MA. She takes great pride in presentation and I would be surprised to find out that things were not much better than in the past. I also know the tech that services that location and he is a perfectionist (12 foot-Lamberts is not enough when some tweaking will get you 16 from a 30 year old lamphouse).

I have never worked for Cinemaworld, but I am glad that they will open a location in Lincoln...especially with Regal's push into New England.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-26-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where the the CinemaWorld's in Mass, I've never seen any...?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where is the CinemaWorld's in Mass
According to the website, it is in Fitchburg.

When they first announced a movie theater for the Lincoln site, I was figuring it would be either a REGAL or maybe FLAGSHIP (the same owner who owns the Lincoln mall also owns the mall where FLAGSHIP is located in New Bedford,Mass. At one time, REGAL was going to build a theater in Smithfeild, RI but for some reason backed out. There is a NATIONAL AMUSEMENTS theater about 5 miles away from the the Lincoln, RI new CINEMAWORLD location.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the NA site is at the Apple Valley Shopping Center. It was an old Entertainment Cinema before NA bought it. That area has become very busy in the past couple of years. Recent store openings in the plaza down the road: Target, Home Depot, Kohl's, Staples, Linens and Things...and several smaller chains. I've heard two rumors about the Lincoln area: Best Buy and Loew's. BB's nearest stores are in Warwick, RI or N. Attleboro, MA, so this seems plausible.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor!? Your in woonsocket? I thought you were out west
somewhere? And weren't you in Fall River at one time also
with FLAGSHIP?

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was in Fall River and moved to Woonsocket a couple of years ago. The furthest west I go is Albany (although I have done a lot of work recently in Syracuse). I have covered all of the MA Flagships at one time or another and worked on the Derry, NH install earlier this year.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tevor,
Do you know any projectionist in the Northern RI,
Southeastern Mass. area who is looking for work? Let me know!

Paul Goulet

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: