Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » An Engine Museum That Should Not Be Missed!

Author Topic: An Engine Museum That Should Not Be Missed!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a month ago I received an e-mail from the machinist hobby club I am in regarding an amazing display at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.

So it was that I went for a look-see yesterday.

Paul and Paula Knapp have their collection of model aircraft engines in this museum quality display...30 pieces out of a collection of 130.

These engines are not toys. They are a mixture of museum quality reproductions of their larger counterparts, as well as individually engineered and constructed prototypes. All engines are fully operational, and some have been used in rc aircraft.

Just a few of the examples include a 1/4 scale of the "Kitty Hawk" 4-cylinder in-line, Reproduction of the P & R 985 Wasp, one of the well known Root's engines, a Seidel 14 Cylinder 2 Row Radial, and a JPX T240 Turbojet Model Engine.

This display is beyond description.

Visit their web-site at www.engine-museum.com

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-23-2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something noteworthy...The early productions of the Curtis-Wright R3350 engine must have been one of the worst. It has been said we lost more B-29 aircraft in WWII due to engine failures than those that were shot down.

Anyhoo, here is an interesting engine:

-

This 36 cylinder engine was destined to be the largest reciprocating engine ever built. The displacement was 7,755 cubic inches. When compared to Lycoming's largest production engine in production today which displaces 720 cubic inches, it was more than 10 times larger!

This huge engine was 10 feet long, 5 feet in diameter and weighed 6,050 pounds. It produced 5,000 HP at 2,600 RPM, and the target was 7,000. It used 580 GPH of av gas at the 5,000 HP rating.

There were nine overhead camshafts which could be shifted axially for METO power in one position and cruise at the other. Two great shafts emerged for coaxial propellers, and there was a two speed gear-change box between the crankshaft and the propeller shafts.

Development of the XR-7755 began at Lycoming in Williamsport in the summer of 1943. With the end of World War II in 1945, the military no longer had a need for an engine of this size, and development of the XR-7755 stopped at the prototype stage.

During those years, Lycoming put together a team, under the leadership of VP Engineering Clarence Wiegman, to develop this super-size engine.

Here is another picture:

-

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,
I find these models fascinating. When clicked on, the photos enlarge to reveal incredible detail and workmanship.
Who makes these miniatures, and why? Is it a challenge accepted by hobbyist lathe operators, or are they patent models?
Are the makers really fond of the full-size originals? Is there a market for such miniatures, and do they have value?
Gerard

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It has been said we lost more B-29 aircraft in WWII due to engine failures than those that were shot down."

Paul,
You are sbsolutely right about this. There is a fascinating chapter in Richard Rhodes book "The Making Of The Atomic Bomb" that tells about all the engine difficulties they had. The problem stemmed simply from lack of sufficient cooling flying at low altitudes and if a cylinder or two overheated the net result was usually a swallowed valve or two. The main engine casings were made of magnesium so when a valve was swallowed the engine casing would catch fire and the entire wing would eventually burn through and drop off. These magnesium fires were impossible to put out once they started....
Planes would take off with the test dummy bombs(called pumpkins) to practice dropping them (and then make the quick get away dive), but before they could climb to altitude to do the practice drop they would have fly just above the hot Wendover, Utah desert area literally mowing sagebrush till the engines cooled down enough just fomr the take off phase. Once they cooled a bit they could the climb to altitude where it was colder and the engines ran just fine!
Man, these guys were extremely brave dudes!!

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited with Paul Knapp at his shop today. BEYOND FACINATNG! I could not stop from drooling!

These engines are built by hobbiest, and some models are purchased by those that can afford them.

I spoke to Paul about my interest in possibly modeling a Duesenberg "J" chassis. But I'm too late. A friend of his is already in the midst of completing one.

Another interesting but uncompleted engine sitting on Pauls shelf was a scale model block of a Ferrari V-12. The block is machined from solid stock. The individual building this engine had plans to produce them, but things fell through and Paul was fortunate to obtain what had been completed.

Besides the Flat-Head Ford, there was also a small block Chevy, which Paul started up for me. This small scale engine even replicated the sound of its big sister!

The purpose of the museum is to educate and to gain public interest.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: