Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New clock (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New clock
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-23-2004 05:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked clocks. I found this one in the Alice shop in Oxford yesterday, I'm a bit old, but I couldn't resist it; it's just weird.

-

When you think about it, the only thing actually wrong with this clock is that the numerals, and the text at the bottom, are priinted reversed; there's no real reason why a clock has to run clockwise.

It has what seems to be a standard quartz movement, and I can't believe that it would be economic to make a special movement just for the very small number of these things that are made. Can a standard movement be easily reversed? Are anti-clockwise movements made as a standard item for some purpose? Is there some application where a clock would be vewed in a mirror? Is there anywhere in the world where clocks normally go that way? When the first mechanical clocks with hands were produced did they all go clockwise, or was this a standard that developed later?

There's an interesting clock in Bristol; it has two minute hands set, I think, twelve minutes apart. One shows local time, and the other London time. It was only with the coming of the Railways that people could travel fast enough for these small time differences from place to place to be significant, and soon afterwards Greenwich time was standardiised across the whole country.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,
Nothing wrong with collecting clocks!! I had amased a large clock collection quite a few years back of close to 150 clocks!! Almost all of them were of the electromechanical type and were either self winding, or inpulse operated. Had I saved all of them today I could easily have retired off selling them as the value and scarcity of electromechanical clocks has skyrocketed. Some that I owned are clocks that you are undoubtedly familiar with such as Reifler, Synchronome, Gents Pulsnetic, Self Winding, Standard Electric, and many others. Although I don't have anywhere near 150 clocks today I have held on to quite a few of the rarer clocks, including one that I bought from Gord, and am still a member of the NAWCC.

Mark

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 08:43 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On "Antiques Roadshow" I saw a clock with two faces, housed in an ornate wooden cabinet, that showed both railroad and local time in a city from the US midwest, from a period in the 19th C when time zones were not standardized.

Your "Wonderland" clock suggests time running backwards, so that instead of

"Grow old along with me
The best is yet to be..." (Robert Browning)

You have
"Ah, but I was so much older then--
I'm younger than that now." (Bob Dylan)

"And may you stay--
Forever Young" (B.D.)
--Gerard

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 08:48 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
It has what seems to be a standard quartz movement, and I can't believe that it would be economic to make a special movement just for the very small number of these things that are made. Can a standard movement be easily reversed? Are anti-clockwise movements made as a standard item for some purpose? Is there some application where a clock would be vewed in a mirror? Is there anywhere in the world where clocks normally go that way? When the first mechanical clocks with hands were produced did they all go clockwise, or was this a standard that developed later?

Not to seem dense, but couldn't you just take a standard movement and put it in backwards?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 09:13 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, they used to put a lot of "backwards" clocks in barber shops so that as a patron was getting a haircut he could look into the mirror and see himself plus see a normal-looking clock. I've seen several novelty clocks using a "backwards" movement just to be weird. And you can buy a replacement, quartz movement for such a clock at www.klockit.com out of Wisconsin. I'm not sure about a U.K. supplier.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great link, Greg! I see they even offer inexpensive mechanisms that synchronize to the Fort Collins, CO, atomic clock signal (WWVB) to maintain perfect time.

Now if you could get a reverse mechanism with atomic sychronization, that would be something! [Big Grin]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-23-2004 10:34 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine is big into Glo-dial, makers of neon lit clocks. Larger ones were used in movie theaters during the 1940's to 60's,.
http://www.neonclock.org/pages/Manufacturer/ManGloDial.htm

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a backwards running clock just the other day at Jokes 'R' Wild (a local costume/novelty shop).

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-24-2004 06:42 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who collect clocks have way too much time on their hands. HAHAHAHA!!! Okay, maybe it wasnt that funny. Bad timing I guess. [Big Grin]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that clock have anything to do with reversing the aging process?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about the Alice clock is that it's not going backwards. It's going anti-clockwise, but that's still forwards. When the photograph was taken it was showing about 10:27. An hour later it was showing 11:27, not 9:27. A map drawn with South at the top is not upside-down, it's just that we don't often see maps drawn that way.

We don't normally see clocks that go anti-clockwise, but there's no reason why they shouldn't; it's just that, by convention, they don't. The numerals on this clock have been printed reversed, but they could have been printed normally, and as long as they are arranged around the face in the same direction that the hands turn, it's a perfectly reasonable clock, and it tells the correct time.

Sometimes when you can't see the solution to a problem you need to look at the problem in another way; maybe this clock reminds us of that.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-24-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
If clocks turned the other way, wouldn't they still turn clockwise?

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that clock was actually made in the southern hemisphere, I know the toilets flush backwards down there, maybe the clocks run backwards too.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, clocks do run backwards down here, also we all walk upside down. Some of our more affluent sosiety members have a device that attaches to their toilet to force the water to drain the correct way.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's to be read in Arabic (right to left)?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: