Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Preventive" or "Preventative"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Preventive" or "Preventative"?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-18-2004 03:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say something ridiculous like "preventive maintenance", do you say "pre-ven-tive" or "pre-ven-ta-tive"?

I had never heard "preventative" until a few months ago when I was recording and editing a voiceover at work. The guy said "preventative" while recording and I missed it. I was editing the dialog later and came across it. The script said "preventive", so I edited his word down so it sounded like he just naturally said "preventive" in the first place. I felt no need for the unnecessary extra syllable. I mean seriously, what the hell? I thought maybe he had some sort of mental deficiency. It turns out that he indeed did, but that's another story.

Apparently both ways of saying it are correct. What a country!

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-18-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Preventative just doesnt sound right at all. It's stupid. I dont have time for the extra syllable. [Mad]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The words are not interchangeable, though our current generation's sloppy use of grammar seems to make it so.

Maintenance, done to prevent failures is "preventive".

A substance, applied to decking to prevent rot is a "preventative".

Good catch, Joe.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Chambers' Dictionary (1994 ed.):

quote:
adj preven'tive or (by irregular formation) preven'tative tending to prevent or hinder; prophylactic; concerned with the prevention of smuggling (hist), - n that which prevents; a prophylactic. - adv prevent'tively. n preven'tiveness. preventive detention prolonged imprisonment, with corrective training, for persistent or dangerous offenders of 30 or over for periods of from 5 to 14 years.
I don't have the full Chambers (only the abridged one, without full etymology), but would hazard a guess at the etymology being Latin - prae (before); and the verb venire to come or proceed. Michael will probably tear me to shreds over this!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-18-2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'yam in diz currant generasion and I ain't got no slopy nor purr grammers, the englush isa not conphuzing.

I hav too go now sinse i hav too *polish* me shuz fer me sizter *Polish* wed ding.

(Yeah, good catch, Joe! But, ya can say it either way.) [beer]

>>> Phil

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 04:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Dictionary.com, "PreventATive" is a (nonstandard) variant of "Preventive".

I assume that this is a similar situation as the words "Flammable" and "Inflammable"... Both meaning, "Something that burns easily." Although, "Flammable" actually means, "Something that can easily be set aflame.", whereas "Inflammable" actually means, "Something that is easily inflamed."

To put it another way, they are two words with slightly different origins (derived from different languages) which have converging meanings.

As a matter of fact, Oxford English Dictionary shows about the same relationship between the words:

Preventive

PreventATive

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So both (dictionary.com and Chambers) agree with Joe - the extra syllable ain't necessary, and does not add any specific meaning.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-18-2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Joe et al. for bringing this up. The use of "preventative" to mean "preventive" is a pet peeve of mine.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-18-2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Leo is right. To prevent comes from praevenire=to come before.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2004 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey! I'yam in diz currant generasion and I ain't got no slopy nor purr grammers, the englush isa not conphuzing.

I hav too go now sinse i hav too *polish* me shuz fer me sizter *Polish* wed ding."
 -

OK Joe, get hold of Fil if ya needs to knou what it say.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-18-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary: I HATE Mark!

(BUT! The JEN is HOT!)

And Jen, I'm headed to Texas and NEED a place to stay for a "night".... Can we hook up again?

>>> Phil

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-18-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ummm... Phil, I be at AZ now... So I think yo planz to c the hippinator haz been terminated. [evil]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-18-2004 11:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh No Jen! I'm heart-broken! I am traveling on US-10 and was hoping to at least meet you!

And Yes! While in Texas, I will be staying with Chris...Hubba Hubba!

>>> Phil

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-18-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awww how cute [Big Grin] ... I think it was meant to be... (I think its wonderful to see Film-Techers hook up. [sex] You have my blissings Phil... "Phil and Chris seating in a tree... K.I.S.S.I.N.G") [beer]

Hmmm... My place is a couple blocks from US-10.... "Should I meet Phil?"

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-18-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: