Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone here have experience with running Gas Turbine Generators?

Author Topic: Anyone here have experience with running Gas Turbine Generators?
Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 05-15-2004 01:49 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I've been missing in action for a while;

and I just got back, guess no one missed me! [Frown]

Anyway, i just aquired a 350 HP Jet Engine Powered 225 KW generator for practically nothing!!!

As Paul is our resident Radio Tower Jocky, I was hoping that

he or someone here might have worked with one before, and could shed some light on it's operation.

It's A Solar Spartan 225KW unit manufactured for Western Electric Bell Telephone systems,

but was actually used as a back up for a radio station.

It's in very nice shape, and only has 224 actual hours of running time.

Though I have been playing with Bio Diesel, I have been told that this unit can breeze through about 45 gallons an hour [uhoh] and so far I have only made about 100 gallons!

I guess I could strip the Jet engine and build something super
wickedly awesome [Devil]

Anyway,

what I would like too do is,

kick the power this baby can make, back into the power grid and have them pay me for a change!

Texas has some nice benefits for using Bio mass for power generation such as:

Exemption from property taxes, and penny for penny payback for
up to 50 KW per hour; anything over, and they pay the wholesale rate ( thats what TXU told me, but it's unconfirmed.)

I'm just tinkering around now, but who knows! [thumbsup]

Erick

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2004 01:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course we have missed you.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-15-2004 02:30 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Back, Erick!

But, Holy Smokes! 225kW "jet" generator? You'd be better of selling it.

Don't know about the local power company where you are, but here in L.A., we have a great program with big-time tax benefits and very liberal programs to buy back excess power. A lot of folks around here pay no power bill and actually get money back each month.

The costs of the (monitoring, phasing, transfer) equipment you would need to hook up for such a large generator would be astronomical. Let alone the maintenance and fuel costs. It's NOT economically worth it. Plus, I wonder what your neighbors would say hearing that 747 running in the hood? [Smile]

The typical "modern" residential power service is less than 50kW. Most theatres take a max of about 60kW or so.

Where you live, you'd be better off selling that unit and taking the $ and install solar panels. Not only for the efficiency and availability of the equipment and systems, but also for the tax breaks, lack of noise and maintenance, and all the free sunshine "fuel".

>>> Phil

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 10:13 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well....THAT takes care THAT!! NEXT..........

fjn
Local 294 Ret.
[beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as your neighbors don't mind the noise, wind, and added heat... go for it!!

-

SR-71 Engine test stand... probably my favorite jet engine photo of all time!!

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erick, where can I buy one?

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Erick,

Check out the sepparated at birth thread under film yak. You are now famous.

Dom

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at 45gal/hour, I don't know how much of a profit you'll turn from this thing, but if I had aquired this thing, I'd somehow separate the engine and the generator, build a power windmill or a mini hydroelectric dam using the generator, and the jet engine would go in the back of my pickup under a cap with painted-over windows. Then I'd go to the local drag strip and bet people that my Ford Ranger can beat the hell out of their Ferrari.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve K said...

"where can I buy one?"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2477264079&category=26442

Or if you're looking for a larger venture you could always go with these..... The neighbors might notice though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42908&item=3815229292&rd=1

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-16-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah...the little pup is 400Hz and as for the big plant something that large ought to be combined cycle for maximum efficiency where the turbine exhaust runs through a boiler ("heat recovery steam generator" in the terms of the trade) to cogenerate steam feeding either a steam turbine generator for more electricity or used for heating or factory process steam.

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my brother said they had a 350 kvw gas turbine gen set at the gas plant he works at. said it was a nice unit.as to noise when they bring the turbine powered frac units out to the wellsite. first thing i reach for is the ear plugs. if you could make a deal just to run it at peak times you might make money

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: