Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New drive-in going up in Montana

Author Topic: New drive-in going up in Montana
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the Billings Gazette, May 6. This guy has a couple of wacky ideas (wait until you read about where he's going to put the projectors), but I do think he's going to do great with this.)

Couple plans drive-in theater; 2 screens going up near East Laurel exit off I-90
By SUSAN OLP
Of The Gazette Staff

Link: http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2004/05/06/build/local/25-drive-in.inc

Riley Cooke recalled Wednesday how much he enjoyed the times he spent as a kid going to drive-in movies.

"I can remember going with my baby sitter to the dusk-to-dawn movies," he said, standing with wife Vickie in a weedy field west of Billings.

By the time the last feature ended "you could barely see the screen because it was getting light," he said, and there were only about 10 cars left.

Now Cooke and his wife hope to re-create that kind of family fun when they open a two-screen drive-in movie theater on eight acres not far from the East Laurel exit off I-90. The couple, both Billings natives, hope to open the Park Drive-In by mid-June.

"I've been wanting to do this my whole life," Cooke said.

The couple seems to be part of a trend in bringing back a seemingly lost form of entertainment. Jennifer Sherer, on her Web site www.drive-ins.com, notes that in the past five years, she has seen "drive-in expansion, drive-in reopenings and even brand-new drive-ins."

Sherer, a drive-in theater aficionado, attributes the resurgence to families looking for cheaper forms of entertainment and the chance to replicate their own childhoods. "Parents especially want to give their kids something from the carefree childhood they had," Sherer writes.

By her accounting, five drive-in theaters remain open in various parts of Montana. That number is down from 41 in the heyday of outdoor theaters.

Cooke agrees that making the drive-in a family-friendly place is important. He also sees the drive-in theater as a new entertainment destination for teens who don't have many alternatives in the Billings area.

The Cookes aren't strangers to providing entertainment. For 16 years they worked in the carnival-ride business, traveling throughout the Midwest independently or as part of larger shows.

They finally got off the carnival circuit when their oldest daughter, Jenny, now 11, started school. Now they live with Jenny and younger daughter Annie, 6, in Frannie, Wyo., and they own a used-car lot in Cody, Wyo.

For the Cookes, drive-in movies are actually more than a part of their past, Vickie Cooke said. "We take the girls to the drive-in movie in Powell, and our oldest can't believe there are kids who don't know what a drive-in is."

When the couple noticed the Cody drive-in closed last summer, they began looking into buying the equipment from that theater. They ended up buying the 60-by-80-foot screen and the posts that in older times held speakers for the movies' sound.

Now, in the age of modern technology, people don't use speakers. Instead the sound will be broadcast on a low-power FM radio frequency that can be picked up by vehicle radios.

The Park Drive-In will boast two screens, Cooke said, a larger one facing east that will accommodate 305 vehicles and a smaller one for up to 163 vehicles. Both sides will show two movies a night, five nights a week.

And though the Cookes' movie booking agent said short cartoons - once a staple at drive-ins - are no longer available, the couple hope to track down some to show before the first feature.

The couple also hopes to set up six kiddie rides that will be open until the sky grows dark. Eventually, they would also like to add a miniature golf course.

For another couple of fun touches, one movie projector will be placed inside a 1909 train caboose and the other will be inside an old circus truck. Old-time treats like cotton candy will be sold from an old carnival food wagon.

"We also eventually want to have pizza delivery to the cars," Cooke said.

Once the theater opens, he said, it will run on a Memorial Day to Labor Day schedule and remain open weekends in September. People mistakenly believe drive-ins close in the fall because of the weather.

"That's not true," Cooke said. "They close because it's football season and people are on to other things."

Between now and June, the Cookes still have a lot of work to do. They must put up a fence on the property, prepare the lots for cars and install the two screens and the parking lot posts.

The couple likes the location because it's in an industrial area and close to the interstate. That way, the noise of the movie won't bother nearby residents. The lack of nearby lights also will make viewing the movies much easier.

"I'm real excited," he said with a big grin on his face. "I think it's going to do well."

Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-11-2004 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does putting the gear in a caboose and a truck relieve them of building codes? Oh wait...they probably don't have any out there in Big Sky Country, do they?

The caboose might not sway in the wind or with people moving around in it but the truck sure will. I presume it will be on some sort of rigid support.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2004 10:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the building codes here are about the same as you people in cilivization have to deal with.

This drive-in will be located in East Laurel, which is within spitting distance of Billings (Montana's largest city) and in the state's most populous county, and in an industrial area to boot, so I imagine they'll get scrutinized pretty thorougly.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-11-2004 11:03 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What they're dreaming is pretty common. Somebody remembers what it was like to go to the drive-in when they were kids. The place may have had rides, playgrounds, bingo games between shows, cartoons before and maybe even after the features. If an opportunity arises, they go into the business with the intent of resurrecting those memories. It's not uncommon. If they succeed (and surprisingly, a bunch of them have recently), the realities of actually having a real, working drive-in will eventually dictate what kind of format actually emerges.

I hope it works for them. We've raised a terriffic family at our place over the past 18 years. Looking back over the professions I could have engaged in, I believe I could have done a lot worse than run a drive-in for a living.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do know a bit about this and I should post some photo as I was recently there. These people are moving the WOODEN screen towers from Cody, WY. to Laurel in order to get one screen set up. Can't say that I agree with moving a 40+ year old wooden tower, although they looked to be in OK shape. I know of a steel Selby screen tower they could probably get for almost nothing.

"Both sides will show two movies a night, five nights a week."

If people would only do their homework a little better beforehand..... Actually cartoons are still available and they'll never get first run films with a short schedule like that. All drive Inns I can think of run 7 nights a week, and up there its a very shortened yearly schedule to begin with. Reminds me of the gals that took over the Powell Drive In that only want to run on weekends because the kids are in school..... Unfortunately I guess these folks want to learn the hard way.

Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I agree with Mark. Cartoons are still available. It's funny but the Skyline Drive-In theater in Shelton, Wash. got Van Helsing and they are only operating 3 days a week.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
Its not that YOU CAN"T run films less than a weeks span. Its more a matter of how ya gonna pay the bills......

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2004 01:13 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two screens on 8 acres? That's sorta cramped isn't it?

There are two drive-ins near here, one 5 screen, the other 2 screens. For the past couple of years, both get first runs with only a Fri-Sat-Sun schedule. They don't go full time until schools out. They've tried running seven days with school in session. They didn't enjoy running things for 8 people a night. Besides, they do 80-90%% of their biz Fri-Sat-Sun even when running full time.

Last summer, the film co's even started letting the drive-ins play day and date with the indoors in the same town.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything for screen-count....

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How bout this idea, build an indoor multiplex with an outdoor screen behind the building but utilizing the same booth for all screens. This way, you don't have to only be open in the summer and you have the advantage of the novelty value of the drive-in to draw the crowd. Maybe there might be hope for drive-ins, once electric cars become popular, drive-ins could have electrical hookups for each parking spot, this way people could run their heaters without draining the batteries, once that happens, drive-ins could be open year round, and might get their popularity back once people look at them as a matter of convenience rather than novelty.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 04:04 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, that has, in fact, already been done...at the Moberly (MO) "Five and Drive." The owners (B&B Theatres) had a closed drive-in just north of town (the old Highway 63 Drive-In) and so, they tore down the snack bar, cleaned out the posts, and built a five-plex to the rear of the lot. Using the same booth (just a long one) for all five indoor screens, they also angled one projector out a window towards the old drive-in screen. You can see pics on the drive-ins.com website. It's ok but, it is completely quiet on the lot...w/o speakers...and I like some atmosphere. Also, drive-in patrons walk back to the multiplex and enter to use restrooms or visit the concession stand. The multiplex is first and the drive-in is more an afterthought BUT, at least it is a drive-in that operates!

Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 02:12 PM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if when he said it will be a caboose and circus truck if he meant it would be buildings designed like those, not actually a truck and a caboose...?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, There is a huge UP Freight Yard there which encompasses almost the entire distance between Billings and Laurel. If only these folks last name was Hardy!! A caboose can probably be had at local railroad auctions on the cheap..... Geez, I can probably get these folks a good deal on a nice 60 foot wide Selby screen near here if they'd just call.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: