Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How many prints of Shrek 2 ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How many prints of Shrek 2 ?
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Preliminary information is that I am going to get 7 prints total of Shrek 2. (Yes one will be DLP)

This will make scheduling showtimes about 15-20 minutes apart ALL day.

Word is that this may possibly happen with Spidey 2, and Harry 3 too. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME! I must come visit the Cinemark Legacy 3 during that.

By the way, you do realize you're doing it all wrong, don't you? Let me come up there and set up one print of Shrek running through all 7 screens in a non-stop loop for ya!!! At least you wouldn't have to worry about a brain wrap since all of it would be on rollers. We can just turn your entire booth into a loop cabinet! [Big Grin]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an 11 screen location here in Maryland.

This Friday is:

3 prints of Troy
3 prints of Van Helsing
2 prints of New York Minute
(I can't remember the other three films)

We open three prints of Shrek 2 next week.

Those outta be interesting bookings....

I'll be runnin a 4 plex....

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 02:56 AM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are a part of this too at our Cinemark in Grand Prairie, just south of Dallas- we are guessing 5 prints for our 15 screen. We are booked for harry potter but do not know for sure about spiderman yet. I read that some of these prints might leave within the first week or two of the run...

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 03:28 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - Everything is bigger over there. -I just hope to get one Shrek print to run from the first day. Normally, on the big commercial titles, about one third of all danish cinemas are running first runs, while the rest must wait for a print to get free (and worn).
How is this in the States ? How many first-run theatres of out how many in total ?

Per

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 09:36 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, that would be awesome. [thumbsup]

I do expect to be down to about 8 titles at most. Currently at 17.

There was a mention that the booking dept is doing aggregate deals rather than term so that both exhibitor and distributor get most of the money up front. (Only allows for a print to disappear faster for the DVD release [Confused] )

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 03:32 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little off topic, but the number of prints these theaters are recieving is totally insane. There's no way the labs are going to be putting out decent products when they having to make a kagillion prints.
And on the exibition side, we all know for a fact that more than just a few theaters will just slop these prints together because they have 1 poor sap trying to build up all 8 prints in 1 night, and of course they won't get pre-screened either [Roll Eyes]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the number of prints is just going to increase, especially in the summer.

The summer now is one big film after another...each week, something bigger that the last is released. By increasing the number of prints, they can assure that everyone who wants to see the film opening weekend will have a seat and make the studio a few extra dollars.

Also, by pushing the first week of release, they can attract people through advertising instead of word-of-mouth. Advertising can make a bad film look good, and build up an expectation on the part of the intended audience. That way, you make your money before the public realizes what a terrible movie it is.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Shrek 2 opening WED May 19th or FRI May 21st? I see a local theatre here has tickets on sale for the 19th?

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 06:33 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Wednesday opening.

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 07:00 AM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like we will be getting 6 prints of shrek at our 15 screen-at least that is doable for me to build up and have enough people to pre-screen. As some of you mentioned earlier I can now only hope all 6 prints are of good quality from the lab.
When did Dreamworks change the opening day? I went to their site yesterday and after the home page and clicking the movies link it says Shrek 2 may 21, once you click that it brings you to a page saying Shrek 2 only in theaters may 19- our booking department says they knew as of last Friday but they did not tell us so we had to go back and change our floor staff drastically!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-17-2004 01:32 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 of em up here

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2004 08:15 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 at my 14, 1 at my 8

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-17-2004 08:24 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one, but if there are too many people, I can always interlock it. [thumbsup]

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2004 09:07 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 at my humble little Movies 14

I am sure all of you have done this...but if not I would suggest putting up something on your marquee about Sherk 2 opening on May 19th, many people still think it will be the 21st

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: