Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Question about Windows XP vs 2000 Pro (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question about Windows XP vs 2000 Pro
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have XP Home and was wondering if I would benefit from installing 2000 Pro and if so how would I go about it?

When I tried to load 2K Pro it said that I was trying to install a older version of windows and would not let me install 2000. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason you could not install 2000 Pro over XP Home, is because it would essentially be a "downgrade"
If you break it down to version numbers
Windows 2000 Pro = Windows NT 5.0
Windows XP (Pro AND Home)= Windows NT 5.1

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 08:50 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XP Home is garbage.

I'd stick with 2000 Pro over XP Home.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking that W2K was newer than Xp but I just wasn't sure. I think for the trouble involved I will leave well enough alone.
Thanks for jogging my memory.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If 2k is working fine for you, you'd be better off just leaving it on.

If you have the urge to upgrade to XP, get the Pro version.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-10-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does Microsoft even sell a "Home" version of Win XP? Really. What is the purpose of it? What exactly does "XP Home" do that XP Pro does not? How exactly is the "Home" version more user friendly than the "Pro" version? Both versions look pretty much the same. Is XP Home able to run old DOS style games or games that didn't work on WinNT (like the first version of "Quake")?

I've looked at both versions very closely, and the only differences I can see is XP Home is really great if you want an operating system that is total crap when it comes to networking to other machines, especially those running older versions of Windows. Now, this is a situation more likely to exist in a Home rather than an office. Work environments get their computers updated more often. Many houseolds feature hand-me-down old PCs sitting in a kid's room with the newer PC being in Daddy's study, etc. If anything, XP Pro is far better to stick on a home PC because it will have an easier time seeing that antique Win95 or Win98 machine.

IMHO, Microsoft should just simplify things and only sell XP Pro in personal computers and laptops. The Home version has no justification to exist.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 01:30 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

XP Pro supports Dual CPU's while the Home edition doesn't.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 02:25 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also one or two other bells and whistles which are exclusive to XP Pro, e.g. more sophisticated file sharing options and an encryption facility.

The main difference I noticed between 2K and XP Pro was that the latter used a lot less RAM and slightly less hard disc space. Simply put, when comparing the two operating systems running on the exact same hardware, XP Pro seems to run faster and multitasks more efficiently.

I've never used XP Home, though (except briefly and on other people's machines), so I couldn't say whether you'd be getting these advantages when installing it over W2K.

On the subject of computers, I've just finished a major upgrade of mine and have hit two strange problems on reinstalling Windows (XP Pro). The first is that it will only create and install my system volume as drive H:. It won't let me change it to C: in Computer Management later, as you can't change the drive letter of the system volume. I guess the reason for this is that both my hard drives in the new machine are on a Serial ATA RAID controller. There are no hard discs connected to either IDE rail, so I can only guess that Windows reserves C: for an IDE drive. I'm not even sure that this is a problem at all - presumably the OS and all application software should work happily with the system volume as H:. If it won't, is there any way of changing it to C:?

Secondly, neither the BIOS nor Windows recognises the CPU correctly as being an AMD XP+3200/400FSB. On bootup, the BIOS simply says 'AMD Athlon', while Windows thinks that the CPU is an XP+1900. Things I've tried: (i) updating the BIOS with the latest version (the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 rev. 2.0), (ii) double checking the motherboard jumper settings and BIOS settings to auto-detect everything and (iii) downloading all the recommended Windows updates, using Autopatcher first and then Windows update to put in everything which was released since. Still no joy, and I'm wondering if this is simply a display glitch or if the processor is not running as fast as it should be.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-10-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron said:

XP Pro supports Dual CPU's while the Home edition doesn't.

Ummmm... why would they disable this for the home version? Mac OS X does not have a crappy "no frills" version. Teh ghey.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-10-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--you, of all people, should know this: they want to charge more money for the non-crippled version.

Even more annoying is the distinction that they make between "server" and "workstation" versions (M$ has no concept of a "workstation" machine with more than two processors, for example).

I recommend installing Linux or NetBSD or, better yet, throwing the PC away and getting a real computer. [Smile]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 08:12 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XP Home is also not supposed to be able to connect to a server. But I think Micros~1 meant that it won't connect to a WINDOWS based server because if you install the Novell client, it connects to a Novell server just fine. At least ours does.

For what it's worth, I read an article a while back that said that Win 2K pro & server were exactly identical save for a few registry keys instructing the OS to boot one way or the other. Apparently a university group did a binary compare on all the files, and they were exactly the same. They even managed to install Pro, and hack the registry to fool it into booting up as server. Complete with the Server splash screen and all. I can't find that article at the moment tho. This was a few years ago.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a reel operating system like OS2 [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
McGord: [puke]

>>> Phil

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one might want to read into one important thing. Home/Professional. A professional will not use the home edition and the average Joe, not our Joe here, who doesn't give a crap will use the Home edition. That being the same guy that buys one of those Emachines.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 03:39 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott
Even more annoying is the distinction that they make between "server" and "workstation" versions (M$ has no concept of a "workstation" machine with more than two processors, for example). I recommend installing Linux or NetBSD
Well if you know of some good video/audio editing software for linux, I'd be more than happy to make the switch.

The Xeons' will appriciate it for sure!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: