Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » ICE COOL Kool Aid

Author Topic: ICE COOL Kool Aid
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 02:02 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I dont knwo about this stuff, it makes your mouth feel like it is full of icy hot, but not to that degree. Plus it makes your food taste funny. I dont like it much.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm.... OK.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-09-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This stuff is wierd!

I was expecting it to be an illusion more or less, the way a mint makes your mouth feel cold. But, in fact, this kool-aid litteraly is cold. The glass I put it in frosted instantly. We had a few ice cubes in the pitcher and they did not melt for 2 and a half hours! How the heck does this stuff work?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I don't think that I want to know how they make that happen. [uhoh]

I'm guessing that something not entirely good for you gets added. [Razz]

I think I'll just stick to the ordinary type of kool-aid.

...I just wish that I could find the (if they even still make it) 'Oh Yeah Orange Pineapple' flavor... mmm...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 12:32 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eucalyptus, peppermint, spearmint and tea tree oils are all edible in small amounts. They will give your mouth a cool feel. Your sense of taste will be messed up for a while after eating them.

I can imagine that one of the ingredients is similar to one of these but I can't imagine how an entothermic reaction could be produced with edible ingredients. Are you sure the drink stayed cool (temperature wise) by itself?

I can only guess what the ingredients might be, except for one of these aromatic oils. Think about what it's like to eat a "Hall's Mento-Lyptus" cough drop.

The hard part about figuring out how this stuff works is that companies will try to cloak the ingrediens they use with fancy names. Ascorbic acid is commonly known as Vitamin C. Technically, "ascorbic acid" is correct (maybe even more correct) but it also sounds better in a list of ingredients and many people won't understand the ingredients list if they use the technical (chemical) names of things.

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
About a year ago I had some friends that were really into this one particular type of gum, I think it was called "Koolerz!" or something equally as bad, and it had the same sort of effect - even when chewed at room temperature, it had a (temporary) effect of making your entire mouth feel quite cold. Never did bother finding out what caused the effect, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: