Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Adidas creates Smart Shoe

Author Topic: Adidas creates Smart Shoe
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-07-2004 08:54 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Story here

Adidas Creates Computerized'Smart Shoe'

By WILLIAM McCALL
AP Business Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Adidas says it has created the world's first "smart shoe" by mating it with a computer chip that adapts its cushioning level to a runner's size and stride.

The Adidas 1 is the product of a three-year secret project the German company developed at its U.S. headquarters in Portland, Ore.

On Thursday, Adidas opened its research lab to reporters from around the world for a first peek at a shoe the company claims will revolutionize distance running and training.

"This is the first intelligent shoe ever," said Erich Stamminger, global marketing director for Adidas. "It senses, understands and adapts."

After thousands of hours of testing, Adidas is confident the computerized shoe will endure the wear-and-tear of running in almost any condition - from hard pavement to dirt trails, and dry streets to wet beaches.

The microprocessor is located in the arch of the shoe, and drives a tiny screw and cable system that adjusts the heel cushion depending on the signals sent back by an electric sensor coupled to a magnet.

It is powered by a battery that conserves power by adjusting the shoe while it is in the air during a runner's stride, avoiding resistance from the ground.

The entire assembly weighs no more than 40 grams - just 10 percent of the 400-gram total weight of the shoe, to keep it light enough for distance runners.

But the $250 price tag is likely to make it a luxury item when it first goes on sale in December, said Paul Swangard, managing director of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon.

"It's something that doesn't necessarily seem to have massive market appeal, but from the company standpoint speaks volumes about its technology capabilities," Swangard said.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-07-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just what we need. F**king sneakers with the price tag equal to a small car payment.

$250 for a "smart shoe." Anyone willing to spend that much for a smart shoe has to be a stupid idiot.

It's already pretty damned stupid that many athletic shoes cost more than a good pair of dress shoes. And the lousy things don't last more than a few months.

Really, you have to question that $250 price tag as well. I strongly doubt if Addias is using labor in any industrialized countries to put the things together. All athletic shoe companies are in the game of paying factory workers in poor, third world countries a very tiny sum of money. With labor and materials, the average athletic shoe cannot cost anymore than a couple dollars to make. So why do the shoes have to cost $100 or more? Probably to pay some asshole basketball star's endorsment fee. Or to buy the CEO another castle in another part of the world.

It's no wonder why people in other countries around the world want to bomb America. We really have some STUPID priorities in this nation.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-08-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I paid somewhere around $70 for my last pair of asics GT-2080's. They seem to last about 6 months to a year depending on milage. I once had a pair of reeboks that I put about 600 miles on. DAMN GOOD SHOES!!!! To bad they dont make them anymore.

Josh

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 06:52 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
a computer chip that adapts its cushioning level to a runner's size and stride.
a runner's size and stride really isn't going to vary too much. why not just get shoes with the optimal cushioning to begin with and leave it at that. i don't share my shoes with others, and i sure as hell wouldn't if i paid $250 for them.

carl

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2004 02:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much impact that microprocessor will make [Big Grin] !

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-08-2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
More crap for the landfills. I hope they take the hint from Kodak and recover the silver and other precious metals before they throw them out. HFS!

I've seen a recycle program for "sneakers" in general where they use the ground-up materials for basketball courts and other floors. (I assume they de-stink and sanitize them 1st) [Eek!]

Also FWIW, for many years, Reeboks were well-known as the brunt of much comment and perhaps as a joke to be Theeee "Lesbian Shoe".

Real men wear Nike or New Balance. [Razz]

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-08-2004 03:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real men wear Nike or New Balance? Perhaps for exercising. I laugh at the kids I see who wear $100 athetic shoes only for fashion purposes. The only exercise they get is working their fingers on X-Box controllers.

Justin Boots or Doc Martens. Now those are some ass kicking shoes. And they're not made by slave labor in third world countries, but rather made in Texas and Great Britain respectively.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-08-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot tip: We were talking about "athetic shoes" not ass-kicking boots.

>>> Phil

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-08-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
a runner's size and stride really isn't going to vary too much.
Dont run much do you? People dont all run one pace, the purpose is so the shoe can adjust on the fly.

But then again, if you havent been there, you'll never know.

JJ

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
er, um, ok you got me. i do run for the bus sometimes, though. let's just say size isn't going to vary much. unless you do a lot of running...

carl

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-09-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: