Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Phil Hills house obliterated in 10.5 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Phil Hills house obliterated in 10.5
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2004 09:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone catch that happenning in 10.5 last night? It occured at the point when the camera did a "Zoom in tight, then quickly zoom back, then zoom back in a bit" sequence. I saw it and Phil slide slide down into the fault. Man....... [Eek!] Was that the worst film ever made or what?

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not see it, but I heard that the camera zooms and shakiness (even in the non-earthquake scenes) sucked much ass. The movie was shot by people who grew up watching MTV and have never used a camera before. Expect an Emmy.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-04-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark! Oh, PULEEZE! I'm still here... waiting for the "big one"... Earthquake that is! [Razz]

I agree that show has to be THE worst POS I have ever seen! I cannot stand one more neck-jerk zoom! It reminded me of the 12 y/o kid with his brand-new 8mm camera back in the 60's! ZOOM! ZOOM! ZOOM! In N Out...and I don't mean the hamburger!

I think the 1974 "Earthquake" was MUCH better as well as "Volcano" from a few years ago. The powers at NBC and the producers of that POS should be bitch-slapped for the POS they aired!

>>> Phil

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-04-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Volcano is now several years old, but still fun in a Poseidon Adventure sort of way.

I had planned on watching 10.5 (we've been plugging it on the 2wenty for some time), however something came up. Now I'm glad I didn't waste time watching this.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly a real 10.5 is slated to happen around September.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a nice POS. The zoom routine was very aggravating since it was done with the look of an experienced IATSE union camera operator "trying" to look amatuer or docu like [puke] The operatic slo mo with the "Greek Chorus" soundtrack in the refugee camp earthquake was too funny to be serious [thumbsdown] ...Guest stars " Connie and Carla " doing some show tunes in the refugee camp would of help [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike HeeNan wrote:
Supposedly a real 10.5 is slated to happen around September.
I heard there might be some delays due to scheduling conflicts.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 11:16 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand...

During the earthquake, everyone is running away.
FROM WHAT? WHERE ARE THEY GOING?
can you run away from an earthquake?
Did they all know where the ground was going to open up at?
If they did why the hell would they put a refugee camp there?
I've never lived in california, but I would assume when an earthquake begins, people stay away from falling objects, and take cover... not run around in a frenzy.
Maybe one of you Californian F-T'rs can shed some light on this.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-04-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know, Travis. I slept through or drove through most of the recent ones. Eathquakes are highly over dramatized in movies. So the ground shakes a bit. Who cares?

Eathquakes don't kill people. Poorly constructed buildings kill people. [Big Grin]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-05-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What with all the earthquake-retrofit projects and construction standards in California now, I imagine it would take quite a series of rumbles to be anywhere near disastrous.

But as I understand it, earthquakes don't happen in "series" anyway. Sure there are aftershocks, but they don't tend to occur in patterns such as those depicted in 10.5.

I've been seeing its spots on the 2Wenty as well, although I was nowhere near impressed enough to watch it. Ooh, ah, disaster movie, monuements being destroyed ... it was old in Independence Day (what I remember as what started it all) and it was still old in The Core ... and now, on television, hey, guess what ... IT'S STILL OLD!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-05-2004 05:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like how they spell it the "2wenty". It makes it hip and cool and makes me want to watch it and also makes me think Regal is hip, cool, and "with it"!!!!

Go Regal!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and it will be old "The Day After Tomorrow." [Razz]

=TMP=

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-05-2004 06:20 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't they working on a remake of the Posideon Adventure awhile back? Where is that? I want more remakes... and more disaster movies. And more disasterous remakes.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally the best disaster movie was the one that was on the screen in the movie "Drive In"

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite disaster movie is THE BIG BUS, with the worlds greatest piano bar musician, Tommy Joyce. That run from New York to Denver has always been a tough one. Only the older among us will truly understand the Bicentennial Dining Room.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: