Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Strange Windows Media Player Glitch/Hack

Author Topic: Strange Windows Media Player Glitch/Hack
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-03-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my neighbors ran into a strange problem trying to play MP3 files using Windows Media Player. When double-clicking the file to lauch WMP9 nothing would happen. He tried it again repeatedly with no successful launches. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manager showed several instances of wmplayer.exe loaded.

Here's the thing that made it seem strange and suspicious. There was a 209kb application showing up in the Windows folder and the temporary internet files folder referring to some website called www2.infamous.com. This thing would show up whenever Windows Media Player was launched. Anti-virus and anti-spyware scans showed no infection, but this thing obviously seemed like something to worry about. I couldn't find any references to anything like this on Symantec's website. The only thing remotely related was a three year old variant of the Nimda worm, and that only showed up with a google search on "infamous".

Anyone know what this thing might be? I have advised my neighbor to get out all his system discs and prepare to format C.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-03-2004 08:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is the one I think it is, Microsoft has a fix that can be downloaded and installed.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-03-2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why use WMP9 to play MP3 files? Use Winamp or iTunes! That's what you get for moving in next to stupid neighbors.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-03-2004 09:03 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, don't be a dumbass. While Winamp is a cool prg, it isn't the choice for mp3. Theeeee best IS WMP9XP! Get a grip!

(Am I banned again?)

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-03-2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. WinAmp kills for MP3. Way smaller footprint, doesn't take up half your screen real estate, etc. WMP sucks for everything except watching AVI, WMV and MPG files. It sucks for standalone audio.

PS - XP sucks. 2000 Professional is better. Anyone who uses XP for any reason is either a drug addict or perhaps a child abuser. That's just the way it is.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-03-2004 09:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<whine> But Win2000 Pro isn't as pretty! </whine>

C'mon, I'm just trying to help one of my neighbors diagnose a computer problem. In spite of WinAMP being so much better than WMP9, not everyone is going to switch.

Not being the patient sort, I disabled system restore and manually trashed his IE and WM9 installation --to force as close to a clean reinstall of those apps without formatting the hard drive. It is a good thing he had some CAB files with the IE6 and WMP9 installers; Windows update would crash everytime I visited it after those sweeping file deletions. It seemed to work. But I'm still suspicious he has something lurking in there. It may not be that Sasser worm, but I just have doubts the fix could have been that easy.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-03-2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you're so full of crap you must have brown eyes!

(Now, where did I put my bong?)

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: