Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gun Safety Guy Shoots Self In Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gun Safety Guy Shoots Self In Class
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another Candidate for Dumb Ass of the Year.

Call me insensitve, but I just laughed like hell when I read this news story:

quote:
Gun safety presenter shoots self
Saturday, May 1, 2004 Posted: 12:11 PM EDT (1611 GMT)

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- A federal drug agent shot himself in the leg during a gun safety presentation to children in what police describe as an accident. His bosses, however, are still investigating the incident.

The Drug Enforcement Administration agent, whose name was not released, was speaking April 9 to about 50 adults and students organized by the Orlando Minority Youth Golf Association, witnesses and police said.

He drew his .40-caliber duty weapon and removed the magazine, according to the police report. He then pulled back the slide and asked an audience member to look inside the gun and confirm it wasn't loaded.

Witnesses said when the agent released the slide, one shot fired into the top of his left thigh. The gun was pointed at the floor.

The agent was treated at Orlando Regional Medical Center and returned to work, a DEA official said.

That's better than my 10th grade shop teacher cutting off two of his fingers in the band saw in front of us!
[Razz]

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-01-2004 08:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, he should have never brought a loaded weapon into a classrom.

Secondly (maybe it should be first) it always seems to be an unloaded gun is usually the one to fire in an accident.

I remember some time ago while I was in the US Navy a colleage was playing "Quick Draw McGraw" with his .22 at home. Well, he holstered the weapon and went to the bathroom. When he sat down on the commode, the weapon fell out of the holster and somehow fired. The bullet hit him in the leg.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 08:49 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He should have double-checked the weapon before going any further. The person who checked the gun probably didn't know what they were looking for and hence they thought it was unloaded.

Very stupid mistake.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sort of thing reminds me of the funny episode of the Simpsons where Homer joins the NRA and gets a gun and it goes off "accidentally" several times in the kitchen. Fun stuff.

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A gun isn't a weapon, it's a tool. If I didn't have this gun, the king of England could just walk in here any time he wants and start bossing us around, would you like that?" -Homer Simpson

[ 05-06-2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Rob Butler ]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-01-2004 11:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a device called a "Snap-Cap". It's a special dummy load that is the exact size,shape of a real bullet, except that it is machined from a solid piece of metal. Snap-Caps are designed specifically for the purpose of demonstrating gun safety and for practicing safe gun handling.

www.LymanProducts.com

This guy is supposed to be some kind of professional. He SHOULD have been using Snap-Caps or some other kind of dummy load!

THERE IS NO FUCKING EXCUSE TO TAKE LIVE AMMUNITION INTO A ROOM FULL OF KIDS UNLESS YOU ARE DEFENDING LIVES!!!

Furthermore, he should have had a second person verify that the gun was unloaded and that there were only dummy loads in the room. Any and all live ammunition should have been taken to another room and put under lock and key.

To top if all off, this guy is supposed to be a Fed?! If anybody in the world should have known better, shouldn't it be a Federal government agent?

This guy got what he deserved! In quite the literal sense... because I was going to say that he should be taken out and shot! [Big Grin]

A full magazine load of Snap-Caps costs about $30.00 (USA) if you pay retail. I'm sure the government could get them cheaper if they buy them in bulk.

So... You mean to tell me that our government can spend $40,000,000.00 on a "Presidential Blow Job" but it can't spend $40 on some practice ammo?

{Special prosecutor, Ken Starr, spent $40,000,000.00 investigating the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky case.}

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orlando, FL eh? Why am I not surprised? [Razz]

=TMP=

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
A federal drug agent shot himself in the leg during a gun safety presentation
he must have been smokin' some "evidence" that day.

carl

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-02-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the thing I keep asking is why didn't the fed look into the chamber of his own gun to make sure it wasn't loaded? Why trust that job to a kid who doesn't know any better?

I expect some folks to use this as another reason to ban guns, rather than treat the underlying problem of making stupid people get smart.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 02:47 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

are we sure it wasn't Barney Fife

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-02-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rob Butler
If I didn't have this gun, the king of England could just walk in here any time he wants and start bossing us around, would you like that?
He would have a hard job, given that he doesn't exist.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barney Fife may have been a nervous bumbling boob, but he came through in the clinches. Hey! He kept his bullet in his pocket, most of the time!!!

The guy that shot himself was an idiot. Why would anybody in their right mind bring a LOADED weapon into a schoolroom? I'm not the first to say this, I know, but it is worth asking again!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-02-2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
He would have a hard job, given that he doesn't exist.

Leo is absolutely right. The King is now a Queen...

>>> Phil

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Rob was quoting Homer Simpson from the episode I was referring to above.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
A full magazine load of Snap-Caps costs about $30.00 (USA) if you pay retail. I'm sure the government could get them cheaper if they buy them in bulk.

The government actually spending LE$$ for something?!?!? The same goverment that pays "...sixty dollars for a hammer, three hundred dollars for a toilet seat?" Oh, I remember now, that's how they funded Area 51. Never mind.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: