Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bizarre E-Mail

Author Topic: Bizarre E-Mail
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today when I got home I checked my e-mail and found this one. So I could pose as this dead guys relative and be worth 6 million dollars overnight...... yea, right!

ATTN Mark Gulbrandsen ,

I am BARRISTER P.T.GEORGE at law. I am the personal
Attorney to MR Robert Gulbrandsen a national of
your country, who used to work with shell development
company in Nigeria and as well a one time secret agent
in transfering of money overseas for the Late head of
state of Nigeria {Late Gen.SANI ABACHA}.Before his
death On the 21st of April 1999 my client,his wife And
their three childrenwere involved in a car accident
along sagbama express road in which alloccupants of
the motor died}. My client{ROBERT} deposited as
family belongings in a CONSIGNMENT {ie jewelries} the
sum of $10m in a Global Security and finance company
here in Nigeria for himself, with the hope of
transferring it to his country as soon as he is on
leave.

Since his death I have made several enquiries to your
embassy to locate any of my clients extended relatives
this has also proved unsuccessful.

After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided
to trace his last name over the Internet, to locate
any member of his family hence I contacted you.I have
contacted you to assist in repartrating the money and
property left behind by my client before they get
confisicated or declared unserviceable by the Security
Company where this huge deposits were lodged.

Particularly, the Global Security company where the
deceased had an account valued at about 10million
dollars has issued me a notice to provide the next of
kin or have the account confisicated within the next
ten official working days.since then I have been
unsuccesfull in locating the the relatives for over
2years now I therefore seek your consent to present
you as the next of kin of the deceased since you have
the same last name so that the proceeds of this
account valued at 10million dollars can be paid to you
and then you and me can share the money. 40% to me
and 60% to you I have all necessary legal documents
that can be used to back up any claim we may make. All
I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see
this through. I guarantee that this will be executed
under a legitimate arrangement that will protectyou
from anybreach of the law.

Please get in touch with me through my confidential
email[ barrgeorge0010@yahoo.co.uk ]or you can call me
on my phone number +234-80- 330-48048 .

Best regards,
BARRISTER P.T.GEORGE,

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!

Mark, I'll help you recover that money for an advance fee of $100,000 payable to Ian Price of the Large Money Corporation. In exchange for that fee, I will recover any and all funds from Nigeria that you have coming to you.

Your Friend,
Large Ian Price

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-30-2004 03:21 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every few months I get one or two of those e-mails.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I get one of these about every two months...
BULLSHIT!!

fjn
Local 294 Ret.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-30-2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone trust Mark with a vast sum of money? Next thing you know there'd be factories churning out new AA-II's, vacuum tubes, and who knows what other madness! [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-30-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize most people get a laugh out of those Nigerian "419" e-mail scam notes, just a mass mailing international version of the "pigeon drop" con. But some of this stuff really pisses me off. A Nigerian diplomat was murdered in Europe by a victim of the scam. Lots of lonely, elderly people get taken by the scheme. Some lose their life savings over it. Yeah, call them idiots for being so gullible. But the criminals who took the money are the ones who deserve a sledgehammer blow to the face. Overall they conduct a pretty cruel piece of criminal work and deserve no mercy for it.

Once in awhile, I'll get a different variation on the note eluding my spam filters. I think the notes all come from Nigeria, even though many claim to come from representatives in other nations.

Here's the thing that pisses me off the most on this issue: why in the f**k aren't the Internet Service Providers filtering and deleting this garbage!? How about some Goddamned customer service!? John Dvorak wrote a pretty good article about this issue, and how it may possibly take advantage of those with OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). We are getting absolutely nowhere in the war against computer malware as long as the policing is stuck on the end user level. If it were fought at the server level, much of the problem would be eradicated immediately.

This is actually one area where small "mom and pop shop" ISPs can be a LOT BETTER than the big conglomerates like SBC. When I had my dial up account with Sirius Systems, a local ISP based here in Lawton, I rarely ever had any malware at all make it to my e-mail box. The only thing I would ever see was a notice from the ISP that the malware note was deleted.

SBC does not do dick to police its e-mail. Nothing. Nada. Oh, once in awhile they'll throw a gimmie in there saying they tried to clean an infected message. Purely all for show. Total bullshit. All the other big ISPs are exactly the same. Lazy, and probably getting paid off by companies like Symantec, McAfee and others.

When SBC's mail servers are flooded with hundreds of thousands of copies of a 419 scam note, it should be deleted. Same goes for all the viruses that keep showing up. For Christ's sake, I'm still seeing that damned Microsoft Security Patch 155k thing showing up in the junk mail folder. Congratulations, SBC, you saw that the f**king note looked like spam and filtered it as such. Can you throw in some actual virus deletion too?

What excuse do large ISP companies like SBC have to conduct such a lax standard on e-mail security? Dvorak makes the point if you try to send something harmful through snail mail (such as dynamite for example) the U.S. Postal Service is not going to deliver it. Further they may arrest your ass. Why can't the big ISPs do the same? Is there a law preventing them from running massive anti-viral filtering/deletion on their servers? Is the multi-billion dollar anti virus software industry lobbying them to keep the problem going?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-01-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson wrote:
why in the f**k aren't the Internet Service Providers filtering and deleting this garbage!?
Not everyone uses their ISP for their e-mail needs. Lotsa peeps use Hotmail, Yahoo, and other such nonsense. I personally have a free e-mail account with something called "Film-Tech". Let me tell you, I've had this same e-mail address for years, and I get MAX 2 or 3 spam e-mails a day. That's it. It used to be much more, but Daryl has done an awesome job with it! [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-01-2004 04:43 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--let me know if you want more spam. I have plenty and would me more than happy to send it all to you.

Bobby--arguably, ISPs shouldn't be filtering mail based upon content. If you want your spam filtered, then that becomes your responsiblity, not theirs.

http://spamassassin.org/

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-01-2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
my confidential email[ barrgeorge0010@yahoo.co.uk ]
Hahahahaha yeah. Contact me through my confidential Yahoo account. [Big Grin]
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
or you can call me on my phone number +234-80- 330-48048
There has to be someone on this forum who could call this number and have it not be a long distance call.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the ISPs don't necessarily have to filter out spam. But I strongly believe they have an obligation to delete virus infected e-mail. There is NO excuse for that.

As competitive as the ISP game has become, I'm frankly surprised more has not been done in this area. It would be a positive marketing tool for an ISP to advertise they run virus scans on all e-mail and auto-delete anything harmful. I'm sure anyone doing this might win more customers.

Naturally, the ISP would need to clarify that end users need to run their own anti-malware tools too to increase safety against brand new viruses that may not be caught at the server level (but you would have to assume the server folks might get their stuff updated as fast or faster than the people at Symantec).

Even the RIAA needs to use the anti-viral thing in its pitch to stop downloading. Hell, I managed to get two of my friend to delete KaZaa and even KaZaa Lite by casually mentioning the P2P place was a big porthole on launching computer malware. It scared the crap out of them. Is that an MP3 file your downloading or a piece of spyware/malware? The RIAA will get a lot farther by characterizing P2P apps as a very dangerous thing for computer users and their cherished data. At least it will go a lot farther than the stupid anti-consumer lawsuits they keep filing. Dumbasses.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-03-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another item showing the ISPs really need to get on the ball with fighting viruses.

Apparently, there is a new worm in the wild, called the Sasser worm. The news services are saying it is spreading like wildfire, although I do suspect there may be a bit of exaggeration happening. They're kind of short on the details about it and how computers get infected with it. However, I know one person whose home machine may already be hit with it (he says the machine is running very very slowly and reboots itself often).

It is just not enough anymore for end users to run firewalls, anti-viral software and anti-spyware applications. The ISPs need to join the fight.

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its kind of long, but amusing. A guy scammed the scammer.

http://www.419eater.com/html/stev_ebe.htm

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark, Remember that five bucks you owe me? [thumbsup]
Once you cash that check we will go to Taco Bell on you!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 11:00 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG That 419eater.com site is tooo freaking funny. Make sure you check out all the photos in the trophy room! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: