Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Watch Ian Lose Weight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Watch Ian Lose Weight
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On June 22 I leave to go on a trek described elsewhere on this forum. That’s 61 days from today. Today at 6’4”, I weigh 307 lbs, which they tell me is a good 100 lbs overweight. My mother is concerned that I will suffer a heart attack between the 100-degree heat and the high altitude of where I’m going. She implored me to get in to shape before I go on this trip.

Today I did 45 minutes of yoga, jogged 20 minutes very slowly and rode my bike down to the river and back, perhaps 4 miles total.

My goal is to do something physical each of the next 61 days.

I’m not going to diet, but I’m going to try not to overeat.

Today’s intake:

Glass of grapefruit Juice
Handful of chocolate covered cherries
Baked Potato w/pat of butter and teaspoon of sour cream
Steamed Broccoli
Diet Pepsi
1 lg Cookie
2 Diet Cokes @ work
Small Chicken Caesar Salad w/3 bread sticks.

Tips?
Taunts?
Rants?
Suggestions?
Sympathy?

Should I join a gym?
Should I sign up for Weight Watchers?
Did Dr. Adkins die from his diet?

Ah to see 250 again.

[ 04-23-2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Ian Price ]

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-23-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how you survive on that little amount of food!

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, The Atkins diet does work. No he didn't die from it.

I was 30 pounds overweight to enlist in the Navy. I started his diet Jan 1'st 2003. by Feb 6th 2003, I lost 35 pounds. I was never hungry. I ate McDonalds, BK, etc. I had a lot of steak. You need to get the book. However, the first two weeks ARE BRUTAL. You are lessining your carb intake to 20 grams a day. EX. 20 grams of carbs=1 can of Dr. Pepper. I know you can do it Ian. I'm 6'6 and now at a nice 213 pounds from 260+. Good Luck

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Atkins died from his diet. If his diet includes slipping on ice and cracking your head on the pavement hard enough to make you fall into a coma and die shortly thereafter...though that probably wouldn't be the most popular diet out there. Would bring a new meaning to the word diet though, I suppose...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder, since lowering your carbs forces your body to burn fat for energy instead of the simple and complex carbs your body would normally use. What is that doing to your keytone levels in your body. Keytones are developed in the body when the body uses fat cells for fuel. If this level becomes high it can be serious on the human body. Another thing once you lose your pounds what happens if your carb intake increases, not a dessert binge or anything just an increase. Will the body suddenly start using carbs again and stop using fat causing your fat levels to increase and what about cholesterol issues. Nice to be thin but not with clogged arteries.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He might not have hit his head so hard if he had had a little more meat on him.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-23-2004 10:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know how you survive on that little amount of food!
Ian said:
quote: Ian Price
Handful of chocolate covered cherries
Daryl, there is the answer... Ian has "big" hands...

>>> Phil

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best weight loss method is lots of [sex]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the same boat, I started my program at 304 and I'm 6'3". and I'm currently 232 pounds or so. I'd cut back on sugar as much as you can, and limit your carbs as well. You can loose weight on Atkins, etc, without exercise, but it's highly recommended that you do workout at least 30 min a day. The best time to do cardio is in the morning on an empty stomach, so I read. Obviously not at an extreme intensity level, but this seems to work great for me. Limit your carbs later in the day, eat most of them earlier in the day. Drink at least 1 gallon of water a day. Stay away from hydrogenated oils as well. Although Atkins doesn't recommend most vegetables (during induction) I had no trouble during the first 2 weeks eating a plate of mixed veggies (carrots, broccoli, etc). Also, take a before and after picture, that will keep you motivated as soon as you get to a lower level of weight.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-23-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The best "eating method" I found is Food Combining as suggested in the book "Fit For Life". I went from 310 lbs to a 92 pound weaking in 37 days.

Seriously, when I did the food combining technique, I weighed 170, had much energy, and felt really good.

Now, since I'm doing the FF junkie bit, I weigh 176, need eye-glasses, constipated, and generally feel really shitty! [Big Grin]

(BTW: Before I get some lame remarks from SOME of yous... "FF" in this context means Fast Food!)

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-23-2004 11:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether you're on the Atkins diet or not, it is generally a good idea to stay very far away from foods sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

The food industry loves using high fructose corn syrup to sweeten all kinds of things. It is the main ingredient (after water) in any non-diet soda. Lots of reports have come out lately blaming this single ingredient on the rate spike of obesity in America over the last 30 years. In this time, the food industry changed over from cane sugars and beet sugars to cheaper high fructose corn syrup as its sweetener of choice.

Since I hit my mid 30's, I started pounding up a bit. The prospect of having to buy a bunch of larger sized clothes did not seem very appealing, so I cut out the regular Coca-Cola I used to drink all the time. It didn't take long to get back to previous waist sizes.

quote: Darryl Spicer
Another thing once you lose your pounds what happens if your carb intake increases, not a dessert binge or anything just an increase.
Your body is going to burn whatever is easiest to burn. Fat is the hardest "fuel" to burn. When you start eating more carbs and protein the body goes after those fuels instead.

I, too, am concerned about the cholesterol raising issues of the Atkins diet. I'm a fairly slender guy, but my total cholesterol is just under 220, which is borderline bad. Fruits and whole grains have carbs in them, but they also have fiber. That reduces cholesterol. So, I've had to go in another direction. I'm eating less meat and more in the way of fruits, whole grains and veggies. And I'm trying to cut out anything loaded with high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils. Frankly, I don't think the food industry should be allowed to put either of those ingredients in our foods. IMHO, it's every bit as bad as giving everyone a smoking habit.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 11:45 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
176 lbs my ass!!!

I look like a toothpick beside you. There's not a chance that there's only a 10 lb difference. You're so full of [bs] ... maybe it doesn't weigh as much.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is my favourite! [thumbsup]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-23-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, no. "176 pounds" is Phil's ass! [Big Grin]

My work is done here...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-23-2004 11:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotch ya!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-24-2004 12:00 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: Daryl said he has a 176 pound ass too... we have something in common... Hubba Hubba!

quote:
High Fructose Corn Syrup is my favourite!
HA! You ALSO like that Pepsi crap! You and Scott need to get a room! 'nuff said!

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: