Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Strange WinXP Access Violation

Author Topic: Strange WinXP Access Violation
Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I had to re-install windows XP on my laptop to fix a few bugs and everything was working fine again. Then I decided to run Windows Update and re-install all of the hotfixes and updates. Everything installs and when I restart my computer, I get the blue screen and error volations were: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x03020100, 0xBA2FD4F8, 0x00000000). Im running it right now in safe mode and even after a system restore, it still wont work. I know theres a few computer whizzes here so Im wondering what I can do without having to take it to some guy that will charge me $100 to tell me that I have to reformat. Any help would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-22-2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming there's no data on there which you can't afford to lose, I'd be inclined to simply reformat the hard drive and start again.

I don't know how big the hard drive on your laptop is, but if the capacity will bear it one solution might be as follows. When installing XP, partition the drive into two volumes. Obviously, install XP on the one called C:. When you've configured XP as you like it, installed your applications and so on, but before installing the patches which buggered things up last time, use an imaging utility such as Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image to copy an image of the system volume onto your HDD's second volume. After that, apply the suspect patches. If they make the system unstable a second time, you can always restore the image, thereby removing all traces of the problem. Once you've got an installation that you're happy with, you can burn an image of it onto a set of CDs or DVDs which you can then restore if you ever need to.

My laptop has one 30gb HDD which I've partitioned into C: (10gb) and D: (20gb). The system resides on C:, with 'My Documents' and all other applications data on D:. C: has been imaged. If I install any software which sends the system unstable, or if I suspect a virus infection or whatever, I can restore the system image to C: from two DVD-ROMs without touching D:. So when all is restored, the applications files should be untouched (though obviously, in the aftermath of any suspected virus infection, job no. 1 would be to scan them).

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: