Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What do you do to calm your nerves? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What do you do to calm your nerves?
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-20-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, odd topic I know. Just wondering what everyone does to calm their nerves.

I'm starting cosmo. school on Monday and I'm nervous as all hell. Usually to calm my nerves I paint my nails or take a really long shower (basically pamper myself). Back home I used to take long drives along the backshore looking out at the ocean but I have no ocean here, only a big lake. [Big Grin]

What do you do?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[sex] usually helps

I like to sit outside on a nice day and read

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-20-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go for a walk with my wife.

Look at the stars together.

Watch television together with our dog curled next to us.

Work in my vegetable garden.

Write our daughters in Boston and Florence.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Common now Rach, there isn't all that much difference between the Ocean and Lake Michigan.... Heck, you can't see the other side without being in an airplane......

Since I moved to Salt Lake City I have not had the need to calm myself down, SLC has a relaxed slowed down pace [sleep] as compared to the Midwest area and no one is at each others throat out here. But for relaxation I usually ride my Harley from Park City to Kamas and then down the Mirror Lake Highway through the High Uintas to Evanston, Wyoming. I have breakfast there and then ride back the same way [thumbsup] . Or... There is always plenty of wonderful hiking up in the mountains, chasing rattle snakes in the desert [Eek!] , or digging up geodes along the Pony Express Trail. Simply, theres so many neat things to do out here that no one ever thinks about being tense.

Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-20-2004 11:10 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grande Marnier.

Ends the day just right! [thumbsup]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-21-2004 12:05 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark wrote:
quote:
SLC has a relaxed slowed down pace as compared to the Midwest area and no one is at each others throat out here.
Haha, try the East Coast!!!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-21-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I checked, Chicago was still in the mid-west. Mark didn't live on the east coast, you did! [Razz]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-21-2004 01:05 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get a great deal of satisfaction out of leafing through my movie poster collection or watching favorite movies or listening to favorite music--I definitely feel better afterward.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-21-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
  • Consume a liver-bustingly large gin & tonic;
  • Put a few more holes in a dartboard I modified with a picture of Tony Blair in it, hoping to score a direct hit on that very irritating nose;
  • Play a few rounds of 'Kaboom - The Suicide Bombing Game' and 'Tony Martin's Vengeance UK'
  • Read a shit lit novel;
  • The next time I hear someone having an inane mobile 'phone conversation in public and/or inflict an annoying ring tone on me, entertain fantasies of inserting it in a part of their anatomy where the sun doesn't shine;
  • Drink another G & T.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 04:58 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel
I've found the perfect way to calm my nerves......
I meet up with a few fellow projectionists at the local watering hole, drink a bunch of cheap beers and discuss with them what's bothering me. Usually I leave that favorite watering hole feeling a hell of alot better.
Like Walter Houston said in TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE.....
"you got something up your nose, blow it out Dobbs"
Seemed like good advise at the time and good advise right now.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-21-2004 05:06 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know Rach... I agree with you. I relax by painting my nails too. Especially while soaking in a milk bath. It does get expensive at $2.58 a gallon for a 54 gallon bath, but gosh darn it! It is a real turn on! Hubba Hubba!

>>> Phil

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-21-2004 06:04 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually to calm my nerves I close my eyes and picture Phil in his milkbath. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 06:50 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-21-2004 08:52 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go shooting.

Sometimes I get out the .3006 rifle. Other timess it's the .22. My favorite is the air rifle because I don't have to drive all the way to the range to use it.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, really. If you want to shoot spitballs out of a soda straw or shoot darts like Leo, it's the same effect. The whole point is to narrow your field of concentration down to an area about 2mm in dia. and several feet/yards away then try to place your chosen projectile in that spot.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just go for a good, deeeeeeeeep sniff of formaldehyde... that
usually calms everything down!

fjn
Local 294 Ret.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: