Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Legality of a gaming arcade

Author Topic: Legality of a gaming arcade
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2004 11:13 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard an ad on the radio advertising a new arcade in Saginaw, MI that only has home systems (PS2, XBOX, GC). They charge by the hour for people to play the arcade's games on big screen TV's. I would assume that this would infringe on copyright laws (like film's public performance). It just sounds fishy to me, assuming that the rights to each and every game there had to be cleared.

Unless the rental licensed games could be used in that way without further clearances.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, home systems.....I thought from the thread title you were talking about gambling (gaming) machines.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Straight off a game system box:

"The export, commercial use, or leasing of this product are prohibited to the extent allowed by law."

=TMP=

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theres an Asian guy down the street from me that owns a video game and card store. He does the whole system by the half hour. You just pick the game off the shelf and he pops it in. The best part is that he rents computer games just like console games. New releases, everything. Thats probably the biggest infringer but he makes a killing off of it and makes my life a whole lot more entertaining so I dont complain.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The export, commercial use, or leasing of this product are prohibited to the extent allowed by law."

that's a very weak statement dressed up to look like a strong statement.

carl

Nicholas Suchyta
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Nicholas Suchyta   Email Nicholas Suchyta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,
Do you know where the arcade is or what it's called. I'd like to see exactlly how they are doing things there.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2004 11:03 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see how this could be anymore illegal than the Lan Gaming Zone places that have been poping up everywhere. Those places have been charging by the hour for PC games. I can't see how a console game would be any different.

Anyone remember the movie "The Wiz"? There was a scene where they go to an Arcade (in Vegas I think) and all the arcade machines are playing NES games. I thought that was pretty stupid (not that the rest of the movie was any more intelligent).

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicholas, they are advertising like crazy on Z93.3. Next time I hear it I will try to remember the name. I think its called The Gamer's Lounge.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-19-2004 07:28 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone remember the movie "The Wiz"?
Certainly you mean to say 'The Wizard' (1989) , that Godawful 90 minute ad for the NES, Power Glove and Super Mario Bros, starring Fred Savage... [puke]

As for renting a console or networked PC's/consoles and games by the hour, it has been done for years with nary a peep from the software people or their lawyers, provided the software employed is all original and not copies...

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: