Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Your Garage Door (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Your Garage Door
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-11-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of garage doors predominate in your area, single panel or segmented? Here (Chicago area) the segmented ones are the norm although there are a few single panel neighborhoods. It seems like California is almost all single panels.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm I've never taken the time/interest to notice. I HAVE noticed, however, that newer garage door openers are super ultra noisy, whereas the older ones are much quieter. Kind of like how new toilets don't have enough power to flush a single turd. Is there some sort of new code that requires garage door openers to be exceedingly noisy?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SEGMENTED DOORS: (Used almost exclusively in my area.)

Part of the noise is caused by chain drives. Those using a screw drive tend to be quieter.
If the door is properly aligned--lubed bogey wheels properly fitted into their channels, and the travel stop switches properly adjusted--the door should travel without excessive noise and not close with a BANG!

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Down in these parts, virtually all newer houses come with roll-up (segmented) doors while older houses originally had single-panel tilt-ups. Quite a few homeowners, myself included, replaced the old tilt-up doors with roll-ups for a cleaner look and, most importantly, to be able to park a car close to the garage (if you have a garage with so much crap in it you can't park your car in it [Smile] ) and not have to move it to open the garage door. Yes, the design of a roll-up door is inherently noisier than a tilt-up, especially the minimally-insulated types whose panels tend to amplify the rattles and bangs of operation.

I caught a report some years ago regarding old doors, removed when Californian homeowners upgraded from tilt-up to roll-up, routinely being shipped south of the border where they are used for wall and roof panels in the construction of houses in the poorer parts of Baja. Those old doors supposedly worked well for that purpose.

BTW, Joe, there is a new crapper just introduced which its manufacturer claims can flush much more than a single turd. [Smile]

[ 04-18-2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Jon Miller ]

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
changed from chain to screw last year big difference

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-11-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roll-ups are universal here in N.W. Pennsylvania.

I would say that one reason garage doors are so noisy is speed. Modern garage door openers are faster than their older counterparts. The faster they go, the more noise they make. In today's society, faster is better... damn the noise.

Second, I would say that doors are noisier because they are lighter. In days past, garage doors were heavy wood contraptions. Nowadays they are lighter formed metal contraptions. Some are hollow core and others are simply stamped metal.

My garage door is stamped metal. It's a bit on the noisy side. If I get a can of spray-on lithium grease and make sure the rollers are all lubed it quiets down a lot.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be quite honest I don't think I've seen very many single panel doors. That's just odd. I think that anyone who owns a single panel garage door is, well, less of a person. [Smile]

And Jon, nowhere on that site did it say what kind of "load" it has been tested with. I want numbers!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 11:33 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, down hur in Yee Haw land, same story, newer homes built post 1960 tend to have roll up doors while the older houses have single panel doors.

Now an interesting question would be about windows in bathrooms. I have never understood why anyone would put a window in a bathroom.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Chris, maybe an openable window was the obvious solution for ventilation before the "fart fan" became popular.

Joe...you wanted numbers...well, here's some:

-

Maybe the rubber tubes used in the test is the closest they could come to a real "payload". [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-12-2004 12:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want the TURD TEST! I use that much toilet paper (maybe more) in one sitting! [Smile]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 06:50 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it all comes down to an ill-conceived water-preservation effort. low-flush toilets do use less water per flush. but if it takes 4 kinder, gentler flushes to move a turd then i question the benefit. especially as you have to wait for the tank to refill between flushes.

the best solution is the dual-flush toilet. one lever empties a small tank, just enough to flush down a #1. the other lever empties a larger tank (or both tanks?), with enough force to sink joe's bowelship.

i actually thought of this years ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find one in a hotel in bologna. they might be a little counterintuitive at first, but i'd love to see them catch on.

carl

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 07:06 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joe, for that revealing image that you just plastered into my widdle mind...

When I worked for Sears about 10 years ago, I worked on garage door openers. They weren't THAT loud. Most doors are the sectionals now. The solid doors are only found on really old homes around here in NC.

My own garage, that is so full of movie equipment that I can't park my car in there anymore, had a "track-drive" opener first. What a noisy POS! While at Sears, I got a chain-drive. Much quieter.

The secret to a good long quiet life for your door is maintenance! Oil the rollers and hinges yearly!

Now and then, disconnect the opener from the door (with the release) and manually raise and lower the door by hand. It should easily go up and down. If it is heavy, you need to adjust the door springs. My door will go up and down when I push it with one hand. This also takes alot of load off of the plastic gears that are used in most of the newer GDO systems.

It's also a good idea to check the force adjustments on your door, too. If you need to know how to do this, read your instructions. I can reverse my door just by putting reverse pressure on it with my hands while it comes down.

My door has been problem-free for 10 years. Maintenance!

The reason for the switch from trac-drive to chain drive was to gain the door sensors that reverse the door if something comes thru the door while it is coming down. Almost lost a kitten to my door that tried to get out while the door was working...

Since I got my Lo-Flo toilet, I've had to have Roto Rooter out twice. Seems that there is not enough flow to get the 'waste' all the way out to the street where the big line is. I disabled the low-flow feature on my toilet last summer after the 2nd Roto Rooter visit.

What varied topics we have here! I love this place!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-12-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that anyone who owns a single panel garage door is, well, less of a person.
I had a single-panel on my old house. Knowing that I needed to "better myself," I got married and we moved into a 20-year-newer house with a rollup door. So I'm not just more of a person, I'm more people!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2004 03:20 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

My garage is no longer this pristine. And yes, the door is too noisy.

Zach McQuaid
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2004 02:16 AM      Profile for Zach McQuaid   Email Zach McQuaid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, would you like a house to go with that Garage?!!

To quiet down a garage door, simply use some 3M Spray Adhesive to glue carpeting on the ceiling, and maybe half-way up the interior walls as well.

In Ian's case, a car or two and maybe a set of old tires would also help with the noise...and spruce up that garage to give it that "lived in" look!! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: