Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is there anyithing good on Network TV any more? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Is there anyithing good on Network TV any more?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In realtion to the Disney shakeup of ABC please post and add your thoughts as to the dismal state of Network Television..... Mine is as follows.....

As TV technicaly gets better and better all the time with HDTV, Flat screen displays and other goodies there's really not very much that I can think of worth watching on network TV excepting some sports stuff. All of the networks have really lost it big time IMHO. Cable is also fairly dismal and getting worse daily but at least there is Sci-Fi Channel, Nick At Night, Discovery Channel, History Channel, and a few others that are good. Thank goodness there is PBS and the above mentioned cable channels, as without them I doubt I'd even own a TV.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-11-2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a word, no.

JJ

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never understand why people put up with the continuous logos all the networks are showing now. This has been going on for over 6 years now and I refuse to watch any show that has this. If I were just a lowly board operator I would walk off the job if ordered to put on a logo and keep it there, so I don't know why the people behind the actual shows don't complain about it. It's especially ironic that this practice started around the time HDTV finally got off the ground too- what's the point of better picture quality if you're going to intentionally ruin it? That's like upgrading your projection equipment but also putting an EXIT sign right next to the screen.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-11-2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Mark. If the programming situation gets much worse, I may turn off my satellite TV service. The only TV series' I watch faithfully are a few of the shows on HBO. That, and a few of the documentaries I see from time to time are the only things that make me agree to pay for pay TV. "24" is the only program that gets me to switch to my broadcast antennae, and even that show is getting kind of stupid now (not nearly as good as season 1).

Part of the problem is so many of the viewer ratings and ad dollars that chase them have been spread far too thin between way too many channels. That has hurt the networks on their ability to fund good quality productions. I remember back in the early 1980's it took a 20 share in the Nielsen ratings to win the week. Now you can do it with half that amount.

Another problem is the fact major networks have been corporatized by companies like Disney, GE, etc. They seem only interested in boosting stock prices from quarter to quarter and often that means cost cutting the "good" out of a good product. Hence the plague of so-called "reality TV" programming.

You don't have to spend millions hiring good actors and writers to put together a reality TV show. The producers and networks rake in more profit. TV producers are cost cutting in other areas, like filming or videotaping most TV shows outside of the United States.

On top of that, most networks are blocking out giant sections of programming time with re-tred shows. Do we really need 84 different versions of the Law and Order series? Is "CSI" going to eventually have shows based in every major American city? I heard a joke that "CSI Scranton" might be interesting. Of course every one of those shows with a different city name will contain the tagline: "shot on location in Vancouver, BC."

It really seems all the MBA bastards out there are forgetting one big thing. Viewers have no obligation to watch and can do other things in the evening, such as working a second job to try in vein to pay for health insurance. The broadcasters really need to come up with something better for viewers to watch.

Sony came up with an interesting market study showing a great deal of adults spend a lot of time playing video games instead of watching TV. I wonder how much time Internet surfing, DVD watching, etc. eats further into that potential TV viewing audience.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2004 06:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest the most TV viewing I do is on TVLand. They play all the great shows of years past lik Bonanza and many others. Shows that had meaning and I enjoyed while growing up. Shows today seem to have more meaningless violence and no plots. Reality based shows are rediculous like Survivor. That show is as meaningless as anything out there. Wish people would stop watching it so they will stop making them.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-11-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say the programming is all a matter of opinion. Yes, there is a lot of crap out there but I am totally happy with my soap Passions (when I actually get a chance to watch it), Will & Grace, my Lifetime TV shows, some crap on Sci-Fi, Star Trek (which you can find on numerous stations), and I used to always watch Sex and the City (WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!). I don't really have much of a problem finding things I like when I actually watch TV.

Now if you asked Don on the other hand, he only watches movies. He HATES network television and HATES sitcoms.

Maybe its partially a matter of opinion because of age. I grew up with this shit so it's what I'm used to. Yes, I used to watch Nick at Night everynight before I went to bed and I like a lot of the older sitcoms but not as much as my Will & Grace or Darma & Greg. [Smile] Plus, add that to the fact that they seem to lean new shows towards women now-a-days more then they used to.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no. Yes, the networks DO put on good new shows from time to time. And then promptly cancel them with no warning.

Wonderfalls: a quirky new show that I really liked out the gate. First moved (with no notice) to another night, then promplty cancelled when the new time slot didn't do the trick (duh! Few people knew about the switch). The story was similiar to the concept of Joan of Arcadia, but different in tone and execution.

The D.A. - a four episode series that was fairly routine but had its moments.

Other network and cable dramas I watch regularily: Alias, 24, Enterprise, Smallville, The Shield, and Nip/Tuck, OZ(re-runs), Deadwood (for now), and The L Word. I plan to start watching re-runs of The Sopranos, Queer as Folk, Six Feet Under, The Wire and Street Time whenever their shows start re-runs from the beginning (missed the opening cycle).

Network dramas still on that I've given up on: CSI, CSI Miami, NYPD Blue, ER.

Comedies I like: Arrested Development, Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, South Park. Currently watching Arliss re-runs on HBO Comedy.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 06:55 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nip Tuck rules! Can't wait till it returns. It's kind of lame the CSI people have chosen the route of the Law and Order people with multiple shows, etc. I've grown to like the Miami show (and love the original Vegas show) and hopefully the New York one will be good as well.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality of TV programing over the years has been inversely proportional to improvements in broadcast and receiver technology. [thumbsdown] [puke] [Mad]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was growing up we got 2 channels (and later 3) and we could almost always find something to watch.

Now, we get over 50 channels on basic cable and I STILL watch DVDs or videos a lot of the time.

The only Network show I watch is Letterman, but I suppose that's mostly because of being at the theatre. I've never seen Survivor, Apprentice, Fear Factor, TRL, The Osbournes, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, The Real World, CSI, Law & Order, or Seinfeld (except the final episode). Out of that list, the only one I regret missing is Seinfeld.

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only show that I watch faithfully anymore {on network TV} is "Alias." I used to watch the Simpsons everyweek, but now that is getting lamer all the time.

I can't wait until the new episodes of "Family Guy" next year.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as networks (ABC CBS, NBC) and such go, I would agree that their shows suck. I watch mostly documentaries and historical programs. I do enjoy shows like Monster house and monster garage on discovery. I like TV when I am learning something. I also like home improvement shows like This old house.

On the other hand, there are some mindless shows that I watch like Futurama, simpsons, Star trek, Viva La bam, and teenage mutant ninja turtles.

I also watch the best show on TV, Southpark.

Absolutely NO reality TV

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-11-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you all mean there's nothing good on network television?! The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour is on right now! [Devil]

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 11:53 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a sick sad man, Adam Martin.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as network tv goes,

NBC: The Apprentice...cant wait till the finale this week
ER....I just am addicted
Maury.....When I'm at home at 12n

ABC: 8 Simple Rules....Been Watching Sine John Ritter died
The Practice...Lawyer shows are so cool
Lizzie McGuire.....Saturday Morning Cartoons/Shows

CBS: SUCKS!!!!!

FOX: The Simpsons.....'nuff said
That 70's Show
Tru Calling.....Eliza Dushku 'nuff said [Smile]
Yes....I watch American Idol [Eek!]

For the rest I have satellite

I watch numerous shows including Real TV, Baywatch, Full House, Saved By The Bell, South PArk, Insomniac, ER (reruns), Home Improvement, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Pimp My Ride, American Chopper, and the ultimate for my Sunday Night fix (after work) The Sopranos.

God I love my TiVo!!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: