Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Best Music or Song Used in a Movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Best Music or Song Used in a Movie
Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 05:46 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are some of the best music or songs made for or used in movies. Please list each individual pieces of music or song that you liked the most in a movie past or present, like

Prologue 1915-1923: from The Natural (Randy Newman)
Titles: from Chariots Of Fire (Vangelis)

List as many as you like and try not to duplicate any music or song others have list before you. Have Fun [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want a list??
OK.

When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge (Selftitled picture)
I Want To Spend My Lifetime - Marc Anthony & Tina Arena (Mask Of Zorro)
Everything I Do - Bryan Adams (Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves)
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith (Armageddon)
I Wanna Run To You - Whitney Houston (The Bodyguard)
I Will Find You - Clannad (The Last Of The Mohicans)
Come What May - Ewan Mcgregor & Nicole Kidman (Moulin Rouge)
Circle Of Life - The Band version (Lion King)
Take My Breath Away - Berlin (Top GUN)
Hopelessly Devoted To You - Olivia Newton John (Grease)
My Immortal & Bring Me To Life - Evanescence (Daredevil)
There You'll Be - Faith Hill (Pearl Harbor)
My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion (Titanic)
It Must Have Been Love - Roxette (Pretty Woman)
Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman - Bryan Adams (Don Juan De Marco)
All For Love - Bryan Adams & Rod Steward & Sting (The Three Musketeers)
Licence To Kill - Gladys Knight (Selftitled James Bond Film)
For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton (Selftitled James Bond Film)
One In A Million - Bosson (Miss Congeniality)
Beauty Has Her Way - Mummy Calls (The Lost Boys)!!!!
Shape Of My Heart - Sting (Leon)
This Used To Be My Playground - Madonna (A League Of Their Own)
Speak Softly Love - Andy Williams and a lot of others (Godfather)
Where To I Begin - Andy Williams and a lot of others (Love Story)
Will You Be There - Michael Jackson (Free Willy 1)
Friends Never Say Goodbye - Elton John (The Road To El Dorado)!!
Those are some of the songs I simply loved
And of-course complete OST
All Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
Pearl Harbor
Mask Of Zorro
1942 Quest For Paradise
Schindler's List
Pearl Harbor
THE PASSION OF CHRIST!!!!!!!!
The Last Samurai
JADE
Meet Joe Black
Bram Stockers Dracula
Scent Of A Woman (Especially the unforgetable TANGO)
The Fifth Element

I Could keep going on forever but I will leave room for others too. I will add on the list

I know you asked for FAVORITE and not FAVORITES but I love all of them.

And you also NEVER EVER ask a projectionist which movie he loves most of all times...

Demetris

Being a projectionist is not a Job. It's An ART

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rocky theme and Godfather theme.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-06-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although, "MEET JOE BLACK" was already mentioned, I believe it was only for the score and not for the various songs used. There is a song played during the end credits of the film by Hawaii's Israel Kamawiwo'ole who passed away a few years ago. The song is titled "WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD" to the tune of "SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW. It was also used during the end credits to "FINDING FORRESTER and during the recent "FIFTY FIRST DATES". Another piece of music I love is the most famous part of of Serge Rachmaninoff's "RAPSODY ON A THEME BY PAGANINI" which was heard in "SOMEREWHERE IN TIME" and the 1953 MGM film, "THE STORY OF THREE LOVES". It was during the theatrical showing of " STORY OF THREE LOVES when I first heard and fell in love with the music when I was only 14 years old.

Film score I love among many, many others include--

"GLORY" James Horner
"GETTYSBURG" Randy Edelman
"STEEL MAGNOLIA" Georges Delerue
"VERTIGO" Bernard Hermann
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS" Elmer Bernstein
"THE SEA HAWK" Erich W. Korngold
"AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS" Victor Young
"COCOON" James Horner
"THE ROBE" Alfred Newman
"THE ALAMO" (1960) Dimitri Tiomkin`
"HOW THE WEST WAS WON" Alfred Newman
"HOOSIERS" & "RUDY" Jerry Goldsmith
THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT" Jerry Goldsmith
"THE RIGHT STUFF" Bill Conte
"SCHLINDLER'S LIST" John Williams

and most of all ----
the 20th Century Fox fanfare & CinemaScope extention
by Alfred Newman

-Claude

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-06-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the James Bond films had excellent "self-titled" Title music with Live and Let Die being way up there on my list.

I wonder if musical films (not necessarily musicals) qualify. With that you get things like This Is Spinal Tap or even A Hard Days Night or HELP!.

Most of the tunes from Warriors was quite good and also Fame.

Steve

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree that the Fox Fanfare truly says, "Now, THIS is a MOVIE!"

2 John William's pieces come to mind: Theme from JAWS and Theme from SUPERMAN. When you hear JAWS, you immediately think SHARK!! I think SUPERMAN is just a great, majestic tune...if you listen closely, there is even a small salute to the SUPERMAN TV show theme.

The most beautiful song I've heard in a LONG time was at the end of the SOPRANO'S this week (4/4/04). It was an aria entitled " CHI' IL BEL SOGNO DI DORETTA (MAGDA) (from La Rondine)" The singer is Luba Orgonasova. A beautiful tune in the extreme upper register, demanding great control on the part of the singer. Just beautiful.

Carmine Coppola's theme to NAPOLEON is also very exciting. I was one of the lucky ones to see this with a full orchestra conducted by Mr. Coppola. One of my greatest movie evenings ever.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 07:18 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree about the Bonds, most of them are great songs, I particularly like Thunderball, FYEO, Spy Who Loved Me, View to a Kill, just to name a few. I also though Bohemian Rhapsody used in Wayne's World was great!

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adding UBp.

Beautiful Maria Of My Soul - Los Lobos (The Mambo Kings)

Demetris

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few more

Your Song: from Moulin Rouge (Craig Armstrong)
Good Morning: from Singin' in the Rain (Nacio Herb Brown/Arthur Freed)
Batman Theme: from Batman Original Motion Picture(Danny Elfman)

Keep them Coming there are a lot more out there. There are a lot of music or song's that were better than the movie. Also try to fined some from movie most of us here on Film-Tech have forgotten about.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 02:18 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the end of the great DEAD POETS SOCIETY
That music really shocked me

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 01:51 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Songs written for & performed in movies:

High School Confidential
The Girl Can't Help It
Pet Semetary
Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly" soundtrack
Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street"
Trouble Man
Shaft

"Jailhouse Rock" is dopey & was tired when it was new, even if Leiber & Stoller DID write it.

Original orchestral accompaniment soundtracks:
I'm in the camp that finds John Williams an infuriating, klutzy, borrowing hack. James Horner's sludge, too. Give me Franz Waxman any day - among all his brilliant stuff, "Bride of Frankenstein" is out of this world. Eli Gold's is good too, & "Mad World" is super. Korngold & Steiner sometimes can get on my nerves.

Compiled (& honesty admitted) or featured classical works:
Probably my favorite 'compiled' score arranged from classical works is the job Carl Davis did of arranging Rimksky-Korsakov themes into a successful whole for "Thief of Bagdad'. Lots of others have evocatively used classics for appropriate moments (cf: John Williams); this goes back to compiled scores in the silents days, & further to stage vaudeville & melodrama, & further still. "Life is Beautiful" had fun with the Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman. The undisputed genius of this & its omega was Carl Stalling.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 02:32 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One More I remember

The Colour Of The Night - Lauren Christy (Selftitled Film)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-08-2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra
North by Northwest - Bernard Herrmann
The Flim-Flam Man - Jerry Goldsmith
The Sons of Katie Elder - Elmer Bernstein
The Magnificient Seven - Elmer Bernstein

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 10:31 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Claude's mention of Rachmaninoff's "Rapsody on a Theme by Paganini." It's so romantic and John Barry's "Somewhere in Time" score compliments it beautifully. It's also the tune Bill Murray is learning to play in "Groundhog Day." I'm actually practicing it myself to play on the piano at my wedding this fall.

Speaking of John Barry, those JAMES BOND songs and scores (with few exceptions) are fantastic, including those done by others. My fondness for the OHMSS music is already known.

And good for you Tim. "The Sons of Katie Elder" is REAL big-screen Western music, comparable to Bernstein's "other" great western score.

I want to add Hans Zimmer's score from "Thelma & Louise" as well as Glenn Frey's song, "Part of You, Part of Me."

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Donnie Darko" - "Gary Jules's - Mad World" amazing song, Tears for Fears did the orginal, but i like Gary Jules version better.

"Band of Brothers" theme music, not sure who does it, but it very powerful

"The Last of the Mohicans" the theme music, one of my favorites scores. i use to play it for our theatre music.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: