Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A little help in finding type 5693 tubes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A little help in finding type 5693 tubes
Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 11:00 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I'm trying to find a few 5693 tubes for a project I'm planning to build but this tube is being a pain to find, it's one of the RCA "red tubes".it's listed as being a special version of the 6SJ7.specs seems to be the same, except this one is rated 10,000 hours life. I looked for it on a lot of sites that sells tubes but none had it in the listing.
The schematic came from a Japanese site and many amps shown there has this tube. The reason I'm looking for it is more (risking being silly) the look if it,as it differs from the usual black painting from the metal tubes.electrically it's about the same as the 6SJ7. from the look of things, seems that the Japanese took all of them away to them. I hope not
thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 07:08 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck finding them. The 5693 was used in alot of medical equipment back in the 1950's-'60's, too. I used to have dozens of these RCA red tubes laying around back in the 1970's. I TOSSED them after I decided that I had no use for them anymore!

In hindsight, I wish I had never tossed ANY tubes. For you tube enthusiasts, I tossed a box of used Western Electric 300B's in 1977 because I needed the space! Wish I had them now.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 07:10 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just use the 6SJ7 instead of the industrial number? You will perceive no difference and don't be too surprised if the original tubes will also achieve 10,000 hrs. [Wink]

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] you tossed away WE300B's ??? arrrrrrg! [scream] [scream] I'm looking for those too and will have to be kinda happy with either the Russian or Chinese current production [Frown] the original we300B is being produced again but it's price is prohibitive for me. ( I listened to a few amps that were re-tubed with Russian tubes and they sounded very good,tubes being EL34'sfrom Electro Harmonix..maaaybe their 300B will perform ok?only getting them and testing to find out)

I'm considering using the 6SJ7 in place of the 5693..but a few minutes ago ,before posting here made a few phone calls to the last 3 dealers that still have some tubes and their prices for the 6SJ7 are reaching the sky [Frown] and no discount for quantity [Frown]
I'll need 2 for each amp I'm planning to build and 4 more to another amp I have laying around for restoration ( a pair of Simplex AM1011) but with such prices.. their way is more headed to the junk

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 300B's are one of my biggest mistakes. I have an old mono tube amp that uses 4 of them. The 4 that I have are not matched, and only 3 are original WE. The 4th is a Shugang (?)

Have you tried www.tubesandmore.com ?

6SJ7 should be fairly easy to come by. I've got a couple of them, in both glass and metal shells. Gotta keep 'em, though, as I have a house-full of radios that use them.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 08:21 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there are a few Chinese 300B's around but didn't know that Shuguang made those too. I know of the valveArt and one other I can't recall the name right now. The curious thing about it is that a few days ago while looking for reviews about the 300B's available nowadays, a Chinese tube was elected the better [Confused] I'm waiting someone to call me back about some pricings I requested on Russian tubes (Sovtek/ElectroHarmonix, different names but same tube btw, since the factory is the same)including their 300B.
I looked for the 6SJ7 on tubesandmore.com this afternoon and their price is about half the price I was asked for, will contact them later about SH and maybe a discount for quantity. there are 2~3 other sites I might take a look later this evening .one place here wanted $40.00 for it !!
What makes me real mad is that I have lots of boxes full of tubes and most of them has no use in any circuit I get [Mad]
( well.. not really.. this last weeked while having nothing to do sorted a few tubes randomly and one,a dual triode intended for TV vertical oscilator and output turned out to be useful for a low watt dual SE amp ,going to give it a try someday, after I wind up the OPT for it; I have a feeling that it'll work, who knows [Smile] )

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-07-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luciano:

Just about any tube out there if spec'ed correctly and run within parameters can be used in some sort of audio or radio/ham application...

TV damper diodes make great soft-starting power rectifiers, and TV sweep tubes can be made to perform sonic miracles in an audio ciurcuit... [Smile]

The only things I can think of that are literally useless in any audio duty are the HV regulator triodes such as the 6BK4 and 6EN4, and HV rectifiers such as 1B3GT, 3A3, 1AD2, etc.

Here is a site where some interesting things have been done with TV tubes and 'All-American Five' radios, as well as a few nifty audio circuits using other TV types... [Smile]

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-07-2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I don't understand the concern for the pricing... most places have 6SJ7 NOS for about 8 bux and the new stuff for about 12 USD.

Is it a shipping cost issue L?

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-07-2004 12:58 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only difference between an industrial tube and a home-entertainment tube is that the industrial tubes are a little more mechanically sturdy to handle the physical abuse due to cat shots from the old aircraft carriers that had aircraft that is filled with vacuum tubes in the avionics field as well as military electronics and old civilian aircraft avionics and other military electronics applications. Much of the high-end commercial and military electronics used that stuff before the advent of solid state devices.

The AN/APG-51, AN/APG-30, AN/APQ-50, AN/APA-127, and the AN/APS-20, ASB-1A, ASB-7, AN/APQ-72 and others immediately flash through my mind. There are tons of others thay were hybrid. The old G-51 had 210 vacuum tubes and 97 transistors. [Big Grin]

The military had certain specifications on all of their equipment, known as MIL Spec. Even ashtrays. The ashtrays of old in the US Navy were designed to break in 187 pieces when dropped, so I have been told...Mil Spec specified it will do that, or the military would not buy those ashtrays.

Same holds true for your 600 buck toilet seats....they have to meet Mil Spec.

By the way Luciano, I have a red one of the type you were looking for. It is sitting in my desk drawer at the radio station. Kind of beat up, and I never plugged it in to a tube tester to see if the damn thing is any good.....The only reason I have it is because it is cute. [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-07-2004 02:22 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So Paul... Bottom line is WTF cares? I didn't get the impression that L was going to take his amps flying or in a sub...

I'm the 1st to admit that I like "cute" tubes no matter on whatever (whoever)... I mean, I'm a sucker for a cool 833A for a paperweight or a 4CX5000A (or bigger) for a doorstop!

If the commercial and/or "consumer" tubes are available at a reasonable price... why NOT take advantage of it? I'm SURE that the rest of the OLD circuit DESIGNS will NOT outperform the stats or be hindered by NOS "cheap" tubes.

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-07-2004 05:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the main difference that you guys would find is that the older tubes are pumped down to a much harder vacuum than the new stuff is. Older tubes with a harder vacuum generally last much longer than tubes made present day. The only exception would be the W.E. 300B's as they are being made on the original line with the original equipment. My RCA 621 post WW-2 television made in 1946 has most of its original 32 tubes including the original CRT! I had to install a new rectifier, and several I.F. tubes to get it running correctly after recapping it.

Mil Spec tubes are ruggedized meaning that the plates, and filament are usually a bit heavier made and may have more internal support than a standard consumer version.

My expereince with OTL amplifiers and 6AS7's indicated that some of the Russian and Chineese tubes are quite good sounding but are generally VERY poorly made. I have heard that some of the Svetlana broadcast tubes are VERY good and will sometimes outlast some of the Eimac or Varian equivelents. The 6C33CB is a very well made tube and just about indestructable for use in an OTL amp.

Here is a link to a place that stocks then at 19.95 each. Sonno what brand they are though...
http://store.yahoo.com/thetubestore/nos-5693.html

Mark

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 06:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using a pair of "Sovtek" (Russian) 6L6GC's in one of my McIntosh Mc 40's for 6+ years now and they still test as new. I don't know what the "Sovtek" trademark changed to after the colapse of the USSR. Svetlana maybe?

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 09:23 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sovtek is still very much alive and well today (they made great 6922s, an audiophile favorite). Svetlana is just another Russian-made brand of tubes, not related to the Sovtek folks.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-07-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually 'Sovtek' and 'Electro-Harmonix' are brand names owned by US-founded and based New Sensor Corporation for tubes manufatured by several Russian factories (there is no 'Sovtek factory' in Russia, the bulk of New Sensor's 'Sovtek' tubes are made by the Reflektor factory) Also as of last year, New Sensor bought the rights to the 'Svetlana' trademark, but not the manufacturing plant or Svetlana patents: The tubes made in St. Petersburg that were formerly called 'Svetlana' are now known as 'SED' tubes and they have gone back to using the original 'flying C' logo...

-Aaron

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a small multy reply this time [Smile]

Aaron: I have seen some diy otl amps using EL519's in it,it takes about a dozen of them for each channel,well designed, it looks very nice. I have one circuit I want to try using a vertical sweep tube, it's a 6BL7GTA (dual triode) both sections has the same specs and looks just the same,from all the tube math I did (following it from a RCA tube book) with 250 on the plates a load of 3600K it'll put out about a watt in class A SE. only reason I still didn't try it is the output xformer,already have the math for the coils, the wire and iron for it but since I have to wound the coils by hand and my average turns per hour is about 160, it'll take one day for each xformer to get done
[Big Grin]

Phil: Shipping cost to where? and no.. I'm not gonna take my amps inna plane or anything..but it just gave me the idea of having tube amps in my car and NOS means New Old Stock [Smile] (so new tubes)don't know of any recent production of 6SJ7 for a while.

Paul: It's the red 5693 I was looking for,mostly because the same reason you keep one in your desk, it looks neat [Smile]

Mark: The last Russian tubes I have seen (from Sovtek) looks very well made ,at least their 6L6WXT+ and the EL34,Bought a pair of each last week ,the construction on both is very good. seems that they stopped using the light bulb-style for the stem (?) and went to a real tube stem. going to test the 6L6's in a few hours.
I've heard that OTL amps have a very nice sound, however the lack of the opt makes me afraid of them, instantly think of some HV running tru the speaker wires mrrrf! the 6C33 also seems to give a nice dual SE class A amp or a single PP amp.

Jeff and Jon: from what I know about the Sovtek and Svetlana:
the Sovtek (and Electro Harmonix) tubes are made at the Xpo-Pul factory (AKA Reflector) and the Svetlana (prior to 2003) in another factory in St Petesburg (theSvetlana factory)
Because of some problem with the company that had the rights of the Svetlana brand, it changed ownership and now the same group that owns the Sovtek/EH brand also owns the Svetlana brand. However the real Svetlana tubes are still in production and are being sold under the "winged C" brand.
That's the info I read on a tube site how accurate it is, I don't know .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: