Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Trailer music (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Trailer music
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what the music at the end of the "Around the World in 80 Days" trailer is? I am talking about the orchestral score, not the rock snip.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/aroundtheworldin80days.html

Normally I'm pretty good at this, but I can't seem to recall this one.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-01-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick Adam, another test!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-01-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Teaser topic! You're BANNED!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a teaser topic. The archive has multiple individual threads regarding this. I simply created one thread that can be dredged back up from time to time.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-01-2004 10:58 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's it... I'm starting a thread called "Film related stuff".

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-01-2004 11:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recognize that music (if I am identifying the right part in the trailer anyway). The music is from "Dinosaur." James Newton Howard was the composer.

I checked my 2-disc "Tarzan" DVD, which has a long version of the "Dinosaur" trailer on disc 1, in DD 5.1 no less.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E-mail me the VOB file of that trailer, Bobby! I'm sure Hotmail can handle it. The trailer to that movie was the only good thing about it. I will, in exchange, give you the film version.

Pirating rules!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-02-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the theme from Disney's Dinosaur, which was the best part of that movie.

EDIT: whoops! I was looking at a cached version of this page, and did not see the replies above.

As long as we're on the topic, the trailer also uses music from the Lilo and Stitch score, and the rock snip is Sugar Ray's "Fly".

http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/ is a great resource for finding trailer music, although at this time they don't have a listing for Around the World in 80 Days.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-02-2004 01:08 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Adam and Daryl! How about one titled: "DTS" or "OPTICAL" The title of this thread should be:

I'm looking for a fellow "Trailer music" dork who can teach me how to edit this title and...

>>> Phil

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this thread ain't about music that trailer trash listen to?
[Confused]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-02-2004 02:39 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the most overused movie scores for trailers, in my experience, is the one from Dragonheart. That theme is EVERYWHERE, even the Disney's Young Black Stallion IMAX trailer. I'd be interested to see a tally of how many trailers EVER have used this piece of music.

Any other themes that are known to be way OVERUSED? Get Shorty comes to mind. I remember at my first theatre, when I first noticed that trailers rehashed themes, that we had three trailers in a row (accidentally!) that used the exact same orchestral sequence somewhere ... I don't know what it was originally from, but I'd know it if I heard it.

Oh, and then a couple months ago I noticed one of our films had three trailers on it that all had Michelle Branch songs, two of them with THE EXACT SAME SONG, back-to-back ... ugh!

(If there's an "individual thread" regarding this phenomenon, forgive me. If this is a general thread to be "dredged back up from time to time" [Wink] [Big Grin] , then I figure it's appropriate.)

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-24-2005 07:25 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 387 days since the last post.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I know what music I want but the question is where the deuce do I get it!?!
You KNOW no one on any P2P client has it anyway, why do these idiots trade cruddy music?
The question is where can I find music by Brand X, Immediate music, E.S. Posthumus, etc.?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-24-2005 10:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have lots of movie score music CDs. But I've never had any urge to upload any of them to any P2P sites. Maybe if I had a Mac I might give the idea more serious consideration (but then probably not do it anyway). There's too much risk anymore to fart around with P2P sites like KaZaa. Lots of people get their computer systems hosed with spyware and malware by trying to download music and movies.

quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
Any other themes that are known to be way OVERUSED?
Since this thread got bumped, yes, there are a number of themes that have been horribly overused. I don't know the titles to some of the music passages, but can at least describe a couple.

There was a period where lots of thrillers and action movies would grab James Horner's climactic theme from "Aliens" (y'know, the part where the aircraft is climbing upward just in time to avoid the nuke explosion).

Randy Edelman's score for the Alan Parker film, "Come See The Paradise" had a passage that was used on a ton of movie trailers throughout the 1990s.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 04:55 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, P2P is getting hosed. And by a bunch of idiots who don't understand it and a bunch of dumbass kids who don't care about quality.
I'd much prefer to buy CD's of these artists, but I'll take what I can get. Unfortunately last time I looked nobody had any of these artists.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: