Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Yearly cost of maintaining a swimming pool (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Yearly cost of maintaining a swimming pool
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 05:24 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking to buy a house sometime in the next year and I am trying to decide about a pool. I would like to know how much it would cost to maintain a pool on a yearly basis. That includes everything like water bill increase, chemicals, pump maintenence, etc. I would also like to get opinions on in ground and above ground pools. Personally I think in ground pools are much nicer but I know they are a lot more expensive, but I mean in reference to maintenence cost and increase in property value. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pool can be time consuming at times. A lot depends on the size of the pool when it comes to things like water bills and chemicals. THe weather is a big factor. Will the pool be open all year round or will it be closed for a while during the winter.

Above ground pools are good if you only intend to have the pool for so many years. It is easier to eliminate the pool when you no longer want it. An inground pool would require you to fill in the area if the pool were eliminated. Depending on the ordinances of your city or state, above ground pools do not require a fence to be placed around the yard were as an inground pool does. Above ground pools are limited to how deep they can go were as inground can have a dive depth.

Inground pools can be either concrete or vinyl. Both have there pros and cons. If chemical balance is not maintained the concrete can scale and break down or crack and the vinyl can get brittel causing leaks in both cases. It is easier to repair a vinyl liner than having to patch cracks in cement.

As far as costs expect to pay anywhere from $1500 to $10,000 + and probably way more than that for inground pool and instilation and depending all on the size of it. An inground pool depending on the city you live in will probably require a permit to install it. Above ground may require one but in most cases does not require one..

You could see yourself paying anywhere from $200 to $500 or more per year for chemicals and maintenance depending on the size and how long the pool will be open and if you have a professional maintain it or you do it yourself.

I am not sure about this one but I think in order to increase the property value the pool has to be permanent and I would say that inground is the only way to go on that issue.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A typical in ground pool in our market is a $25 - 30,000 investment. Pool service twice a month and you doing the vacuuming and filter clean out should be $600 - 700 a year. If you going to heat the pool expect $500.00 on your electric yearly...there are gas systems also.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 06:49 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 24 foot round above ground pool that is 4 feet deep. I have switched to buying all of my chemicals from the grocery store and feel I have saved money. There is a web site www.poolsolutions.com that I have obtained the information from. The chemicals I use are bleach, baking soda and borax. One gallon of bleach the regular cheap not the ultra is equal in content to 2/3 lb of shock. Baking Soda is 100% Sodium Bicarbonate and a lot cheaper. I get the pound boxes at Sams. Borax I use 20 Mule team Bransd is a good subsitute for PH-UP. The web site gave me all the information I needed. I hope this helps

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest cost is the time to keep it maintained. It can be a royal pain in the butt in real hot weather. Algae loves warm water.
Or after a severe thunderstorm blows the pool full of leaves, trash and debris. You can spend hours cleaning out that sort of mess.
If you don't keep the maintenance up to snuff, and the balance gets out of wack, you'll have hell to pay. [evil]

Check your local property tax rules, around here, an in ground "significantly" increase's your yearly taxes. An above ground does not. And can cause a significant increase in your homeowers insurance.

In most case's, a pool will not increase the value of your home, in fact it can hurt the sale of the home in some instances.

My 2 cents, it's much cheaper and a heck of a lot less work in the long run to buy a yearly pass to the local Y, and use their pool. [Wink]

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 09:24 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True the maintenance can be a problem but to me at least I like to be able to look out the back door and see what the kids are doing and if they want to invite their friends over it gives us a chance to meet the friends they are associating with. That said in all likeihood once the kids are gone the pool will be also and we will put a hottub on the deck in the back for us.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you have REAL good liability insurance if you're inviting the neighborhood kids over. Making their parents sign a "permission slip" or a "waiver" isn't enough. I have a friend in the pool biz in Florida and he told me he's seen some reeeeeally ugly lawsuits.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand water polo, but how does swimming pool work? Don't the cues warp?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-01-2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In legal circles, a swimming pool is often referred to as an "attractive nuisance."

Let's say that some pesky kids decide it would be tons o' fun to sneak into your swimming pool. They go to town in your backyard. They're uninvited and unsupervised...and all of this is going on without your knowledge. You may still be liable if something bad happens to them.

Depending on how the laws are set up in your neck of the woods, it may be your responsibility to ensure that "innocent" kids can't "accidentally" stumble into your swimming pool.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And remember if you want to use it for water skiing practice you need the newly patented sloping water [Big Grin]

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 04:54 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dick

I've heard about that new sloping water, but I believe you have to be really clear about whether you want it to slope to left or the right, otherwise you have really bad problems.......

Sandie

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-01-2004 05:16 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two things:

Creepy Crawler -- I rarely have to spend any time cleaning the pool since I leave the thing in constantly. People claim that it'll burn out your pump but in 10 years it hasn't and the pump pressure is within norm.

Solar Coil -- keeps the pool at a nice 85 degrees and doesn't cost a cent in electricity or fuel.

I usually spend about $300 on chemicals for 4 months for a pool with a surface area of 2300 square feet.

Chemical cost, and algee battles, depend heavily on the amount of sun the pool will get.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-01-2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Solar Coil
Ye-ouch! [Eek!]

Are people still wearing these things?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-01-2004 08:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a 4-foot deep 16 x 32 foot above-ground "Fanta-Sea" pool, built in 1987 and refurbished (new marine plywood "water walls" and liner) in 2000:

http://www.leisureliving.com/Category_PAGES/NewPages/Fanta_Sea_Pools.html

I really like the above ground pool, as it does not add to my tax assessment, and stays much cleaner than my neighbors' in-ground pools. (In-ground pools tend to have more dirt blown in, and worms/frogs/rodents drowning in them). The Fanta-Sea and Kayak styles are also self-fencing, with a lockable swing-up ladder. My Fanta-Sea has a "solar deck" to help heat the water, where the water is pumped through the hollow dark brown plastic decking to heat it --- on a sunny day, the temperature rise can be about 10 degrees F.

Chemicals (3-inch chlorine tabs, sodium carbonate, algaecide, and chlorine "shock") run only about $300 per season. In the last two years, I've noticed that I need to use MUCH more sodium carbonate to keep the pH from getting too low, evidently due to acid rain from pollution by those upwind midwest power plants. It's costing me about $60 more per year. [Mad]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-01-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, you may need to add water stablizer to the pool. It is easy to do per the directions on the package. THis will help prevent the water from becoming unbalanced so fast. Sounds like your chlorine is being eaten up to fast causing your alkaline level to jump. This stablizer will help prevent that from happening.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: