Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where's Paul Thompson? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where's Paul Thompson?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to Paul, Anyone heard from him lately? He was not at Showest this year and that surprised me a bit...I hope all is well with him.

Mark

P.S. Not to worry Paul, I ate your share of the Hot Dogs [uhoh] .

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-30-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm - He showed up as online in my AIM list for a short while last night.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-30-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still here. Very busy at the radio stations, hardly have time to do anything else. [Smile]

I don't spend too much time on line like I used to. I just got home from a trip to Hoqueim to pick up a 1,250 pound Collins 820D-2 1KW AM broadcast transmitter. Only paid 200 bucks for it, and burned 60 bucks worth a Diesel to get it home. That'll keep me more busier. Might rebuild it into a HAM radio transmitter.... [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-31-2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That the old KBKW box, Paul? They also had a 250 watt Raytheon at one time. It could out-modulate the Collins, even with shot tubes.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 05:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, lot of guys putting old BC rigs on amateur radio these days. Seems the majority are on 160 meters for simplicity of modification. However more and more are getting three band conversions: 160-80-40 meters. Good luck with your project. That heavy iron will sound good on the air! Major diference from the DX-60 - HT-45 controlled carier combo I run. 73 Jeff W9GY

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-31-2004 07:26 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, Paul.

Good to hear from you. I noticed you had become scarce, too. [thumbsup]

Jeff: I have *all* of your movies! [Big Grin]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I think that you mean Stryker? Oh yeah, I see what confused you. Similar looks, maybe? [Razz]

Paul: What kind of voltage requiremend does this new transmitter require? I figure 220.. Single phase? I have a pal in Atlanta that aquired an xmitter recently.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-31-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, if that was the Spencer boys that owned that radio station, that was the place. This Collins is of 1979 vintage and is really in excellent shape. It is a hybrid thing. It has 4 bottles, the rest is solid state. The bottles are 5-500's.

Now I have to get that thing in the house. I brought in a couple of transformers last night, but the plate transformer and the modulation transformer were too heavy for me to safely lift. Getting the transformers and transmitter in the house is tomorrow's project.

Bruce, it can be strapped to 220, 230, or 240 single phase power.

Jeff, that's the plan.... [Smile] I always had a strong interested in HAM radio since I was 15 years old. Never could make it happen, though. It took money and space, and that is something I really didn't have in those days.

When I get it in here, I'll reassemble it, make it nice and pretty, and post a picture of it. [Smile]

Hi, Mark, Manny, and Mike.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny --- I'm not in show biz, but thanks for the promotion [Wink]

Paul --- That transmitter is going to make one fine rig. A decent receiver, antenna, and a little audio gear and away you go! [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-31-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, you are mixing up your "Jeff's". The one your thinking of is spelled "Stryker."

>>> Phil

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2004 09:46 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a post from Gracia in a while either.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-01-2004 10:37 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
always had a strong interested in HAM radio since I was 15 years old. Never could make it happen, though.
The code requirement was a stumbling block for most people, so they came up with the lame "no code" license. When that didn't increase the ranks sufficiently, they lowered the requirement to a measly 5 wpm for all higher classes, to further reduce the gripes.

If you wait a little longer, I hear they're trying to eliminate the code requirement entirely - the wimps.

de KJ5KX (where 5 wpm IS "no-code"!)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-01-2004 10:50 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, ya can't knock the folks with post tramatic stress disorder that can't do morse.

5 wpm morse reminds me that my dial-up connection isn't the slowest thing in the world, but still just barely.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-01-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
5 wpm sux! I cannot "read that slow".

It's strange, but at around 12-20 wpm it starts sounding like I'm "hearing" a language and don't have to "think" about the di-dah's. I seem to hear words not "code".

An interesting side note: The Capitol Records building here in Hollywood, the one shaped like a stack of records, blinks it's "spindle" aircraft obstuction light in Morse code that spells "HOLLYWOOD".

>>> Phil

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-01-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 wpm sucks? How 'bout 3 wpm then? [Big Grin] That's what we pilots get stuck with, trying to identify VOR stations... [Razz]

Paul
Former Technician Plus N7FJF (Fat Japanese Flyer)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: