Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney Theme Parks to Raise Admission Prices

Author Topic: Disney Theme Parks to Raise Admission Prices
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another chapter to add to the on-going drama that is the Disney Corporation. IMHO, I think it is pretty funny that the company increases prices at home while it shuts down its Florida animation studio, announces moves to outsource much of its animation to India and pretty much does anything it can to outrage shareholders.

Perhaps the most interesting thing to anticipate is what the golden parachutes will look like for Michael Eisner and other Disney executives as they "kill the golden goose" and drive the company right into the ground. All the more reason for me to just drive 200 miles to Dallas and visit Six Flags instead.

Anyway, here's the story:
-----------------------------------------
Disney theme parks boost admission prices
Sunday, March 28, 2004 Posted: 12:23 PM EST (1723 GMT)

ANAHEIM, California (AP) -- It's going to cost a little more to play at Mickey's house.

Beginning Sunday, Disneyland and California Adventure will increase the admission price to $49.75 for guests over 10 years old -- a jump of $2.75, or nearly 6 percent, Disneyland Resort announced Friday.

In Florida, Walt Disney World also is raising its admission prices $2.75 on Sunday, from $52 to $54.75.

Company officials said the higher price reflects the cost of investments in the popular theme parks. New attractions include a Snow White musical production at Disneyland and the "Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror" ride, which opens May 5 at California Adventure.

Disneyland last raised prices from $45 to $47 in 2002.

The company also announced the introduction of a new, lower-priced annual pass for admission on weekdays, when crowds are lighter.
------------------------------

Parting shot: On the upside, at least Disney's park admissions prices are not like the double digit percentage price hikes we keep seeing relentlessly year after year for things like housing and health insurance!

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2004 07:36 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby-

This is just an on-going example the "greed factor" that is
running rampant in this country, to wit: "The MORE I have, the MORE I want". Not to worry, though. It won't
be too long before everything is sold through the back door and
these money-mongers will sit up someday... look around and say,
"What happened?"

fjn

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2004 09:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all relative.

If you go to a Disney park in midsummer and sweat all day in the sun standing in lines and race your butt off from one place to another and only manage to get on two or three rides in five hours, the prices feel like a ripoff and you're almost guaranteed to have a miserable time, especially if you have small kids in tow.

If you go there in September and leave the kids home in school where they belong, you can sleep in your hotel until 10:00 AM, have a leisurely breakfast, head for the park around noon, catch all the rides you want without standing in line more than 20 minutes for each, and be able to find benches and such to sit on for the occasional rest.

Having experienced both, the ticket prices in the off-season are a bargain. You can't get entertained from 8:00 AM until late evening for 55 bucks many other places.

Now the food prices, on the other hand...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-28-2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike. I went the week AFTER labor day one year, and it was just as dead as dead can be at Disney World. I went on the Twilight Zone ride, got off, got right back on again, and the guy working at the front of the line, an older gentleman, recognized me and said, "Isn't it great??" My whole week was pretty much full of experiences like that.

If you really want bang for your buck at Disney World, you have to do your homework long before going.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2004 10:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing your homework is really the key if you want to visit ANY vacation spot in Florida. If you're going to be there for more than 1 day, your best bet is securing some kind of package deal. Like Mike suggests, do it in the offseason. It's Florida. It's warm there almost anytime.

Still, I plan to just take a day off during the week (sometime in early May) and just drive down to Six Flags in Arlington. I've just got to be sure and bring that damned soda can along that knocks about $20 off the $45 admission price!

Now, if I really want to get on a plane and travel long distance to visit an amusement park....sheeeiit! I'm going to Ohio to visit Cedar Point! Screw Florida! Screw Mickey Mouse! I have no kids in tow. Cedar Point has more rollercoasters and other pulse pounding rides than any other park on the planet. Their rollercoasters are often the tallest and fastest as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, whats the worry? Film-Tech is still more fun than Disney Land ever was at the lower rate!!

Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had more fun at Universal Studios and Magic Mountain. I won't go to Disney places because they are way overpriced and I just plain don't like Michael Eisner.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-29-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rollercoaster enthusiasts, here's another reason to visit Cedar Point in Ohio: "Top Thrill Dragster."

In short, this is the tallest (by far) and fastest (by far) steel rollercoaster in the world. The first hill of this "stratacoaster" is 420 feet! And the track way up there is inverted!!!! You come twisting down along the rails at speeds up to 120mph! Wooooweeee!
[evil] [puke]

You really just have to visit the web site, www.cedarpoint.com and see pictures of this thing.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2004 06:12 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TOP THRILL DRAGSTER at Cedar Point had a lot of technical problems last year. There were many days it did not run at all. Hopefully, they have the bugs worked out of it this year.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 09:14 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TOP THRILL DRAGSTER at Cedar Point had a lot of technical problems last year. There were many days it did not run at all. Hopefully, they have the bugs worked out of it this year.

Yeah they were litterally pulling peoples asses out of the seats from the speed of that thing. [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to ride the Top Thrill Dragster because I'm a coaster freak, but from what I hear the total ride time is something like 12 seconds. It's just once up and once down. Have always wanted to visit Cedar Point though...one of these days, I guess. The coaster there I REALLY want to ride on is Millenium Force....over 300' tall, 90 mph, and no stupid shoulder harness.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-29-2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to Disney most years...there are two missions when we are there (me and my wife)...Eat....and...sleep...everything else is an extra.

It is true that timing is everything. We have recently being going after ShowEast since I'm down there already. However, I have found the best time is the first few weeks in December...after Thanksgiving and before Christmas....everything is open, they are at full staff and nobody is at the parks since it is between two major holidays. Same is true of Universal up the street.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: