Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Help with diagnosing this problem (Hyundai Pony)

Author Topic: Help with diagnosing this problem (Hyundai Pony)
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I've been so extremely busy lately with work, school, my band and fixing up my car.

Still no luck with getting the thing running (1986 Hyundai Pony 1400GL), so here's my prediction on what could be the problem.

Please keep in mind that when we moved onto our new 40-acre property, this car was sitting here. It was full of old cheques, videos, trophy's, McDonald's garbage (from 1994), cigarette butts, etc. This car was last used in 1994. I had to add radiator coolant, bought a new Energizer 72-51N battery, cleaned out the interior completely (Shop-Vac, scrub, etc.). I also went to try draining out the old gasoline (a strong varnish smell was drifting out powerfully. It was empty so I put about $9.00 worth of Regular Unleaded 87 in it from gerry cans. I need to change the oil and oil filter. This car is a five-speed standard.

Here's my question/problem: When trying to turn over the car (pushing the clutch in, stick in N), it just makes a clicking sound. Could this be a faulty starter motor? It makes no turning over sound, just a low tapping type of sound.

How do you determine if an engine is (time) seized (before going to spend money on a new starter motor?

*It should be noted that we tried tapping the starter motor with a heavy metal pole while trying to turn over the car and got nothing.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-21-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That engine may need to be overhauled do to the lack of use for that many years plus the initial problem that led it to be a catch all in the first place is the engine locked up. You may be able to take a large torgue wrench and place it on the front of the pully for the crank shaft and get it to move but my feeling is a dead engine. another thing as far as the starter you can dismount it and leave it hooked up and then try to turn the starter over.

could be a bad starter coil or wireing going to the starter.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MY solution, get a good car and dont waste your time, you are most likely going to spend more time working on this car than driving it.

But I will help you out. Clicking sound probably means that the silenoid in your starter is hitting but not able to turn the starter. Two cases for me in the past: one was just that there was too much corrosion on the postive battery post, jsut cleaned it off and it turned right over like new. Second, bad starter.

Rule out the small stuff before deciding your engine is shot. You can tell if the motor is locked up by using a wrench to turn the crankshaft. In a little car like that one, that might be a big job.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2004 07:12 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to go to all this trouble for a car that has not been run in 10 years, you might try and squirt about 1 tablespoon of motor oil into each cylinder thru the spark plug hole. Give it a few days to loosen up the rust, then try and turn the motor with a big socket wrench on the engine pulley.

If it will turn, THEN try and use the starter again. If the starter won't budge, then check it out. Could be the brushes in the starter motor itself. Corrosion is murder on electrical parts.

I'd change the oil, too... Right away! [puke]

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 03-21-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
Sent you an email, try my method first, squirting oil into the cylinders, will not penetrate like Diesel fuel will!!!

I see that everyone agrees on testing the starter.

P.S.A torque wrench may not work as well as a break over socket wrench on the crank shaft with a cheater pipe!!!
This will give you a more controled torque to spin the crank shaft, but only after the week or two of the diesel soaking method...

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2004 08:43 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Erick!

I've got the diesel, and we're going to work on it right away. Lets get this thing going!

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 03-30-2004 04:49 AM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
Any luck getting that Pony to kick yet?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: