Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The People who changed the world (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The People who changed the world
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-08-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's to the crazy ones... The misfits; the rebels... The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do, is ignore them; because they change things. They push the human race forward.

And while some may see them as the crazy ones, We see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.

Albert Einstein
Bob Dylan
Martin Luther King
Richard Branson
John Lennon
Buckminster Fuller
Thomas Alva Edison
Muhammad Ali
Ted Turner
Maria Callas
Gandhi
Amelia Earhart
Alfred Hitchcock
Martha Graham
Jim Henson
Frank Lloyd Wright
Pablo Picasso

Who else should be on this list? And yes, you can completely disagree with this list... What is your opinion?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 03-08-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOD

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-08-2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucifer

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-08-2004 02:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's Time Magazine's list of the 100 most influential people of the 20th Century:

http://www.time.com/time/time100/

Leaders and Revolutionaries:
quote:

David Ben-Gurion
Ho Chi Minh
Winston Churchill
Mohandas Gandhi
Mikhail Gorbachev
Adolf Hitler
Martin Luther King
Ayatullah Ruhollah Khomeini
V.I. Lenin
Nelson Mandela
Pope John Paul II
Ronald Reagan
Eleanor Roosevelt
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Teddy Roosevelt
Margaret Thatcher
Unknown Rebel
Margaret Sanger
Lech Walesa
Mao Zedong

Artists and Entertainers:
quote:

Louis Armstrong
Lucille Ball
The Beatles
Marlon Brando
Coco Chanel
Charlie Chaplin
Le Corbusier
Bob Dylan
T.S. Eliot
Aretha Franklin
Martha Graham
Jim Henson
James Joyce
Pablo Picasso
Rodgers &Hammerstein
Bart Simpson
Frank Sinatra
Steven Spielberg
Igor Stravinsky
Oprah Winfrey

Builders and Titans:
quote:

Stephen Bechtel
Leo Burnett
Willis Carrier
Walt Disney
Henry Ford
Bill Gates
Amadeo Giannini
Ray Kroc
Estee Lauder
William Levitt
Lucky Luciano
Louis B. Mayer
Charles Merrill
Akio Morita
Walter Reuther
Pete Rozelle
David Sarnoff
Juan Trippe
Sam Walton
Thomas Watson, Jr.

Scientists and Thinkers:

quote:

Leo Baekeland
Tim Berners-Lee
Rachel Carson
Francis Crick & James Watson
Albert Einstein
Philo Farnsworth
Enrico Fermi
Alexander Fleming
Sigmund Freud
Robert Goddard
Kurt Gödel
Edwin Hubble
John Maynard Keynes
Louis, Mary & Richard Leakey
Jean Piaget
Jonas Salk
William Shockley
Alan Turing
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Wilbur & Orville Wright

Heros and Icons:

quote:

Muhammad Ali
The American G.I.
Diana, Princess of Wales
Anne Frank
Billy Graham
Che Guevara
E. Hillary & T. Norgay
Helen Keller
The Kennedys
Bruce Lee
Charles Lindbergh
Harvey MIlk
Marilyn Monroe
Mother Teresa
Emmeline Pankhurst
Rosa Parks
Pelé
Andrei Sakharov
Jackie Robinson
Bill Wilson

Willis Carrier graduated from my high school, Lake Shore Central in Angola, New York:

http://www.time.com/time/time100/builder/profile/carrier.html

quote:
And what a splendid fellow he was too, in addition to being such a benefactor to mankind (unless you want to hold all the Yankees who have moved to the South against him). A perfectly Horatio Alger kind of guy was Willis Carrier, struggling against odds, persisting, overcoming. Slapped down by the Great Depression, he fought back again to build an enormous concern that to this good day is the world's leading maker of air conditioning, heating and ventilation systems.

And think of the difference he's made. As anyone who has ever suffered through a brutal summer can tell you, if it weren't for Carrier's having made human beings more comfortable, the rates of drunkenness, divorce, brutality and murder would be Lord knows how much higher. Productivity rates would plunge 40% over the world; the deep-sea fishing industry would be deep-sixed; Michelangelo's frescoes in the Sistine Chapel would deteriorate; rare books and manuscripts would fall apart; deep mining for gold, silver and other metals would be impossible; the world's largest telescope wouldn't work; many of our children wouldn't be able to learn; and in Silicon Valley, the computer industry would crash.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-08-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fail to see why I am not mentioned on any of the lists. [Smile]

But seriously... Bob Dylan? I've only heard one of his songs ever, and I don't recall it being impressive. What did he do to change the world and move it forward?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-08-2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He provided Royal Canadian Air Farce with many seasons worth of 'material'.

http://airfarce.com/info/biodon.html

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-08-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That list from Time magazine is really stupid. It doesn`t even list Stalin, but has Oprah Winfrey next to Igor Stravinsky...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-08-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Princess Di? [puke]

So the way you get to be a 'hero and icon' is to shag your way round London's obscenely rich social misfits, portraying yourself as a 'victim' all the while... [Roll Eyes]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-08-2004 03:14 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe you are so on the list... I'll add Phil too while I'm at it...

But seriously Joe, I knew you would say something about why Bob Dylan was on the list.

Bob Dylan.
Folk-singer and songwriter, born in Duluth, MN. Taking his professional name from the poet Dylan Thomas, he rose to fame in the 1960s, following the folk tradition of Woody Guthrie but introducing a fresh social and political awareness. His lyrics made his songs the dominant influence in the popular music and culture of the period.

It doesn't really prove much... I just knew someone would catch that and say something...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-08-2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was also on the Time Magazine list as well. Maybe I was asking about that!

Anyway I'm glad you know me so well. What else do you know about me? [Smile]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-08-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... [Big Grin] that face you made is soooo sexy. [Wink]
I don't really know that much about you. I guess I should since I put you on the list.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-08-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh. I've seen that look before on Joe. RUN JENNIFER!!!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-08-2004 04:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again Brad.... Ewww! I better have been looking at Dwayne's mom or something when you saw me like that!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-08-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"My ass itches."
TMI! [scream]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-08-2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying your ass never itches, Paul? Also, I demand to know what TMI is. Jennifer, you can learn all about me at my incredibly useless website and see how I move the entire human race forward (or perhaps backwards?)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: