Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie Malapropisms

Author Topic: Movie Malapropisms
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have noticed that the public never gets the movie title right at the box office. Here are a few of our most recent ones, please add to the list.

Under the Tucson Sky = Under the Tuscan Sun
Station Master = Station Agent
Open to Interpretation = Lost in Translation
42 Grams = some dilettante who wanted 2 tickets to 21 Grams
Wings of Immigration = Winged Migration
That Girl for the Gold Bracelet = Girl with a Pear Earring
It’s Colder = The Cooler
The Madeline Sisters = The Magdalene Sisters
Rabbit Climbing Fence = Rabbit Proof Fence
Sexy Bitch = Sexy Beast (Considering that they were Seniors who said it, we were particularly weirded out.)
Frieda = Frida
Champ = Camp
Dirty Little Things or Dirty Movie = Dirty Pretty Things
Whale Migration = ?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-25-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, this was discussed previously in this thread ... [Smile]

-Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Girl With a Pearl Necklace?! [Big Grin]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 06:34 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wet dreams may cum"

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 02:43 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goats of The Abcess = Ghosts of the Abyss

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lords of The Samurai - The Last Samurai

Captain Nemo - Finding Nemo

Wage Slip - Paycheque

The Elves - Elf

Snowy Mountain - Cold Mountain

The League of Gentleman,
The League of Sean Connery,
The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen,
-The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

and..

Dogs from Outer Space - Good Boy.
This down to the fact that whoever designed the UK posters put the films tag line in a larger font and a more prominent place on the poster.

EDIT: And today at work I had:

The Last of The Samarai
The Running Jury

[ 01-27-2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Michael Brown ]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously.

Customers need to stop trying to buy tickets for "Van Hesling".

Whatever that is. [Big Grin]

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have some real cinema snobs here in Seattle and we get lots of them because our company runs lots of art and independant film. One day I had a woman in her best french accent ask fo a ticket to that new french film La Confidencial. We were running that really good American film L.A. Confidential.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my favorite one recently, from a spry old codger:

"the flagellation of gaaawd" = the passion of the christ

carl

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 05:58 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Tess (mixing up Guarding Tess with Regarding Henry)
Palos Verdes (Pacific Heights)
Bill & Ted's Excellent Journey (or Bogus Adventure)

and my favorite:
Dancin' With The Woofs (I'm not kidding)

and frequently-spotted spelling errors:
Howard's End (it's Howards End -- no apostrophe)
Rustler's Rhapsody (more than one Rustler.... Rustlers' Rhapsody... made this mistake recently, in print no less. Doh!)

And when I hear people refer to trilogies, I cannot tell you how many times people screw up the word "trilogy." Tri-ology is pretty common.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that many people were reluctant or unable to say the correct title of "The Passion of the Christ." They would either say "that movie about Jesus" or "the Mel Gibson movie" or "that movie." I don't know how many times I've heard recently, "How did that movie do for you?"

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lingering in the memory...the marquee that read "SWEAT DREAMS" instead of "SWEET DREAMS"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a movie once called FRESH HORSES....our marquee kid put up: FRESH HORES

Fortunately I caught it before any arrests were made. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: