Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DVD Question (relating to digital ads)

Author Topic: DVD Question (relating to digital ads)
Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned on film-tech a while back, “slides go digital down under”. We are one of those cinemas that have been using digital slides. Actually they are more like video commercials rather than slides, but they run off a DVD.

For various reasons I’d like to remove the intro on the front of the DVD stream and replace it with our own. We have done this already, however the stream suffered unacceptable quality loss.

I am looking for a way to cut the front of this DVD, attach our own intro in it’s place and then burn it back onto DVD. Digital cinema has its limitations especially when using standard definition Pal video source, so a lossless method/software is imperative.

I realise there are many DVD forums out there, which I have been searching through, but I know there are some people here with experience in the area. Any help/ suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

[beer]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-20-2004 02:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably going to lose quality no matter what you do because of recompression. Joe may know of some tricks though.

How about getting a 2 or 3 drawer dvd player and burning a disc with just your logo on it? Then click "shuffle".

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-20-2004 02:16 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without spending a ton of money, you should be able to get good results with Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 2.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-20-2004 08:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only help if you have a Mac. Otherwise you're on your own! I don't keep up with PC software that I can get on the Mac. But you can probably download some shareware programs for cheap and some do the recompression in minutes!

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Matthew

We run DVD adds over here in Perth. I notice you are from Waverley, are you working where they have been runing Dalkeith off a DVD for 2 years will still full sessions? We just started running that over here, had the opening the other night.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] That’s us alright, Dalkeith has continued to attract crowds from all over Melbourne, Saturday the 31st of this month marks the official two year screening record. The sessions are usually ¾ full, and completely full when the price is right, keeping in mind it’s only an 80-seat cinema.
2 pics of dvd setup

Back on topic, thanks for the feedback. Ulead’s DVD factory disappointed me by crashing twice and then producing an inferior [thumbsdown] DVD stream. [Frown]
I have had luck with tmpgenc it allows me to cut and paste the stream losslessly. But it cannot join our little intro on the front because the attributes of our mpeg intro do not completely match. – back to the drawing board.

Brad your suggestion may be the way to go. My manager discussed this a little while ago, we could probably purchase a cheap DVD player for the price of a stack DVD-R we just went through.

[beer]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-21-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a caution that your theatre may be contractually obligated to play ALL the content without editing.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-21-2004 10:39 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. For that very reason, I used to make the music CD's as one continuous track.

Legalities aside, Brad's "shuffle" idea would not eliminate the start of the main DVD. Also, the results may be unsatisfactory, depending on (a) whether your DVD was produced with or without chapters, (b) the "shuffle" logic built into the player and (c) your intention.

Bear in mind, too, that there will be a program blackout every time the discs have to switch.

I have to admit, I'm curious as to what's at the start of the DVD that offends you and your manager.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 04:17 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also have to test any new DVD player to see if it will play burnt discs.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 04:22 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, it’s a range of factors….
  • It’s a generic “welcome to the movies”, turn off “phones” etc.
  • It’s a little bland (3-4) MS office clipart etc.
  • We want to be able to advertise some of our own in-house products, gift certificates, specials, candy bar etc.
  • Their intro is corrupted, the sound stutters, and every couple of days freezes half way through the intro - and that makes us (the exhibitor) look incompetent and substandard.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-22-2004 05:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their file is corrupt on every disc you get?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: