Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Buying New Computer

Author Topic: Buying New Computer
William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about buying a new computer. I saw this info commercial on TV last night and here is the website Sony Vaio .

the price is about what i paid for my old computer in '98, which is an HP 533mhz, 20 gig and 64 ram.CD-r and DVD player.

one of the only reason's i want this new computer is for the DVD-X copy software. which will be able to burn DVD's. aslo there is a video editing software, which i can use.

please give me any info you can I want to know if this is a good deal. thanks

|  IP: Logged

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The price seems very good for all the specs. Personally Ive never dealt with Sony machine. I have two HP computers (desktop and Laptop) and I havent had any problems with either. If I were you, I would head over to epinion and see user reviews for any sony machines and check their reliability. Hope that helps!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 04:19 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

For the price, you can't go wrong with a Dell. They make a solid machine, from what I gather from my PC buddies. I'm ready to either buy or build a new machine to take to work, as I bought a new Sharp Al-1551CS all in one. My ancient Pentium 133Mhz complete witha 1.2G HD just is NOT going to cut it. I'm looking at either a newer AMD chipset or a P4 2.0+ Ghz, and 512+ megs of ram...

Oh, and it MUST have USB ports on the front of the machine.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always a build it yourself computer guy. My friend kept telling me I should try a Dell. I was resistant at first, then my mom started hounding me to get her a new computer, so I got her a Dell. I was really impressed with the deal I got and their service as well. I bought myself one right after that. I'm sold on Dell now and I always suggest buying a computer from them.
The only thing I like as well is my Toshiba laptop

(I still use my Viewsonic P810 monitor. I really like the Viewsonics)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-16-2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just retired my Vaio (gave it to one of my daughters), and then bought an HP. They (HP) have one that's very similar to the Toshibas that are circulating right now. Both have worked very well, considering what I've used them for.

Re Greg M:
Never tried Dell, but the folks did... thought it was fine. I've used a local that started his shop at home, eventually building it up to a nice shop in the E. Bremerton Fred Meyer. The local relationship has worked very well for me My builds were to spec & done within 24 hours. I can also get upgrades, spares & any services that are over my head (hush!) just a couple of blocks from the theatre.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-16-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, if you can stand to wait several months I would very strongly recommend it --especially if you are looking to buy a high end PC. By the late half of this year the hardware in PCs will be very different. Don't worry about any of the following if you just want to buy a low cost system:

PCI Express
This may be the biggest hardware development of the year because it will make so many other things possible. The old, slow PCI standard will be replaced by this new 2-way, packeted standard which will allow expansion cards direct 2-way use of CPU and memory without having to share the same, single bus. The AGP 8X graphics card standard will be replaced by a "16-lane" 164-pin PCI-X slot that pumps 4GB of data per second, twice the bandwidth of AGP 8X's 2.1GB max. We'll finally see things like true Gigabit Ethernet and RAID discs will be able to yield big performance gains without dealing with that 133MB/sec bottleneck. PCI-X will also have external hot-plug device standards, which could make for some radical changes in how computer cases are designed.

Serial ATA II
The Serial ATA I standard has a 150MB/sec burst rate capability. By the later part of the year SATA II drives with 300MB/sec burst rates will appear. Also by that time the new 10,000 rpm SATA drives now being introduced will be more affordable. That will be great for those wanting to do SATA RAID.

Better graphics cards
Over the past two years we have been seeing only incremental gains from the cards of ATI and nVidia while prices stayed high. With the new PCI-X-16 slot coming the competition might get interesting and more price competitive again. And we'll need all that extra power just to be able to play "Doom III" at a respectable frame rate.

Faster Memory
Companies like Micron have been pumping up DDR2 memory production in single modules of up to 4GB in size. Right now the main or only place where you'll find DDR2 memory is in a top-end video card. PC2-4300 and faster DDR2 memory should become common as system memory for desktops pretty soon.

Firewire 800
The newest version of Firewire will become widespread. Apple is the only big computer maker currently offering Firewire 800 ports on new machines. You can buy Firewire 800 PCI cards for Windows PCs, but you can't get such ports built onto the front side of a new Dell. That should change soon.

IEEE 802.16 "Wimax"
While we're waiting on Cable and DSL standards to improve, this new wireless broadband standard being readied has the potential to kill off both. Imagine having up to 100Mb/sec via a wireless access point from up to 30 miles away! Service providers could strategically install a few towers to cover expansive areas and give users the capability of streaming HD-quality video. Depending on how fast this standard is introduced, it could really steal the thunder of ADSL-2 and ADSL-2+.

Of course, there's lots of other stuff in the pipeline besides the stuff I mentioned.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vaio is not all it's cracked up to be when it comes to video editing....it likes to drop frames.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-17-2004 03:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about any off the shelf computer regardless of platform won't be very good at all for video editing. Few are sold with more than one phyiscal hard drive.

For steady video capture and print to tape functions you need a separate hard disc, preferably on its on separate controller card or at least on a chain separate from that used by the boot hard disc. I have two 80GB hard drives in my computer, with the second one being a 7200rpm drive with 8MB of cache on its own separate UltraATA 133 PCI controller. Works like a charm.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 03:37 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for everyone's input. my dad just bought a Dell and he likes it. i was amazed at how quiet it was compared to my HP. the one reason the Sony jumed out at me was all the software included, I'm not the type of person to add on to my computer. it has everything i want. i looked at HP and Dell websites and they had similar stuff compared to the Sony, except of course DVD-X Copy xpress, which is a sony product.

Ron, what kind of editing system do you recommend? Would the Vaio be able to run what you use or like? i want to get into editing, 2 minute movie trailers. what editing equipment would be good for that.

Thanks again for all the input Film-Techers.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-17-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, all off the shelf Macs can do video editing just fine (except maybe laptops... not sure since I don't care about laptops), even with a single hard drive. I have never experienced dropped frames even in the old days when I would use only one drive. Now I have two drives, both on the same ATA cable. No problems ever. The only times you run into problems with dropped frames is if you are trying to capture and/or playback from a firewire drive, and even then it works fine at least half the time. I dunno, maybe PC's are physically weaker when it comes to video editing, but I've never seen a problem on a Mac when a firewire drive wasn't involved.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-17-2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the late half of this year the hardware in PCs will be very different.
Sure, but hasn`t that been like that for the past 20 years? I haven`t followed PC technology developments in the last year or so since I bought my last PC, but it looks to me as if the development is slowing down a little bit. The system described in the opening post is not much different from mine, which is about a year old.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 04:01 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ron, what kind of editing system do you recommend? Would the Vaio be able to run what you use or like? i want to get into editing, 2 minute movie trailers. what editing equipment would be good for that.
Avid's software is about the best you can get for PC. Premiere Pro isn't bad, but Avid is the more " professional " one out of the 2.

Editing movie trailers just for fun? Or for work?

I don't recommend the Vaio, you'd be far off better going to a reputable computer shop that will build you a custom PC for probably far less money. Then use the savings and build up a video editing software library.

The problem is with packaged systems like the Vaio is that they put in say " Premiere Pro " with all their systems. Then there is a 100 other useless programs like " Keyboard Manager " that just clogs up your system and for editing, that is unacceptable.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general, it is wise to avoid buying any computer sold at a retail store, be it a Sony VAIO, HP/Compaq or any number of other brands. The huge amount of JUNK SOFTWARE loaded into these machines brings about all kinds of problems from a totally cluttered system registry. And there's no real way to get rid of it either. When doing a system restore on the average Compaq box you'll get all that shitbag software loaded on there again!

That's one of the advantages of buying a Dell or Gateway system. You can actually get a system without all kinds of spam/shit software loaded into the thing. My father has a Compaq machine bought at CompUSA that has given him nothing but trouble. Each time the thing broke down he had to box it up and take it to the store. My 3-year old Dell machine has had few troubles. I had a hard drive fail once, but Dell sent a tech-serivce guy to my house to swap it out free of charge. Better customer service.

quote:
I have never experienced dropped frames even in the old days when I would use only one drive.
I don't know how the Macs manage good video capture using one physical hard disc. Even with that being said, I've seen plenty of posts in various DV forums recommending the use of a separate drive for video capture and print-to-tape even when using a Mac.

Video capture on single drives just doesn't work worth a popcorn fart on Windows machines. The way Windows runs its virtual memory scheme the OS is constantly screwing around with the hard disc. One would think that if you maxed out a PC main board with 1GB or 2GB of RAM that virtual memory hits to the hard disc would be unneccesary. Of course virtual memory is just one of many processes running in the background as soon as any PC finishes its boot cycle.

quote:
Sure, but hasn`t (the situation with PCs constantly changing) been like that for the past 20 years?
Sure, the guts inside of computers constantly change. That's the way of any digital technology. Moore's Law of CPU changes is still holding up for now. We may see 4GHz Intel CPUs by year's end (if not sooner).

However, some changes happen faster than others. While CPUs and video cards have improved dramatically many other parts of PCs have been painfully slow to change. In recent years RAM has finally seen good improvements. The PCI bus has not changed very much at all in the past 10 years, just an incremental jump from 32-bit 60MHz/66MHz to 32-bit/64-bit 133MHz now. The PCI bus is the worst bottleneck in computers today. PCI Express will relieve a great deal of that bottleneck. Hard disc drives are another source of bottleneck. After years and years of vaporware talk, Serial ATA is finally getting established and the Serial ATA II standard combined with PCI-X will bring out much faster machines.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: