Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Multitrack .wav files with Cool Edit Pro (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Multitrack .wav files with Cool Edit Pro
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-12-2004 04:25 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Cool Edit Pro 1.2a (since bought out and renamed Adobe Audition or some such nonsense) on Win XP Pro to remaster a 6-channel .wav file.

I have no problem getting all of the channels into the multitrack editor, but in order to save the file, it appears that I am required to mix it down to two channels.

How do I get this back out to a 6-channel .wav file? (Yes, you can have 6-channel .wav files.)

If I have to, I can use other software. Currently, each channel is saved as a mono .wav file, so I could import the tracks into something else.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-12-2004 04:32 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Edit Pro 2000 actually had a "save multitrack wav" option. I think it might even have been in the File menu. I guess it's not there anymore.

Adam Martin

- posted 01-12-2004 04:39 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm ... I think I might have CE Pro 2000 around here somewhere as well. I'll have to look into that.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-12-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adobe Audition will let you edit multi-channel audio, but it won't let you encode a DD 5.1 track. Adobe Encore (their DVD authoring app) and Premiere Pro will only encode 2.0 channel AC-3 files out of the box.

You have to spend $295 for a SurCode Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder plug-in for Premiere Pro from Minnetonka Audio or use some other app that will let you encode 5.1 audio.

The situation is apparently the same if you use apps like Sonic Foundry Acid or Vegas. You have to spend $279 for a DD 5.1 encoder pack from Sony Pictures Digital. On the bright side, the price of that plug in used to run $399.

The situation kind of sucks ass and continues to make the Mac platform more inviting for video authoring. Final Cut Pro still costs a grand. But Apple dropped the price on the newest version of DVD Studio Pro to $500, an app that features a built in Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder. Sure, you still need apps like Photoshop, After Effects (and Illustrator if you want to bring Postscript animateable paths into AE). But overall the software situation is so much more EASY and SIMPLE. You get what you want without any disappointing surprises.

The software developers on the PC side cannot seem to get their stupid acts together and create a comprehensive and easy to use package with features that matter. Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding should be a very basic, mandatory requirement for any DVD authoring app/suite worth a damn.

Adobe Systems needs to get on the phone with Dolby Labs and get some kind of deal inked. They're going to be playing catch-up with Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro for some time to come. In terms of features the DD 5.1 encode thing is something they need to add as a standard feature ASAP.

DTS encoding would be nice too for video authoring suites. Right now it is just too expensive for anyone but paid professionals to use. Minnetonka sells two software DTS encoders, a $499 encoder for DTS music CDs and a DTS DVD encoder that runs $1995. Anyone in the hobbyist tinkering camp would be priced way out of the market with that.

Adam Martin

- posted 01-12-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to encode anything. I just want to save it as a 6-channel .wav file.

Cool Edit 2000 had a "studio" plug-in that let you do something 4-track, but I don't know if it allowed you to save it that way.

I'll have to look into the newest version of Audition and see what changes have been made other than Premiere integration.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I demand to know why you want to make a 6 channel WAV file. Tell me now or I will report you to the authorities. [scream]

Adam Martin

- posted 01-12-2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Because I want to. [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I bet I know why [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet on that too.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-12-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm overlooking something but it doesn't appear that Cool Edit Pro or Adobe Audition will output a 6-channel LPCM audio track. I'm not so sure any other "hobbyist" or "pro-sumer" level audio apps will do it either.

On top of that, can a standard computer or consumer electronics device even support such a thing? 6-track LPCM does exist at least in terms of high-end niche uses, such as the LPCM 5.1 audio track found in certain "D-Cinema" presentations. How that track is being assembled is the mystery. Can Pro-Tools output LPCM 5.1?

Maybe the LPCM 5.1 track is being put together manually by someone saving three different LPCM 2.0 data streams and simply folding them all together in a format friendly to a proprietary digital tape system. That final suggestion is the only way I see saving surround mixes in LPCM format using affordable off the shelf software.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I think of it, I don't think the standard WAV format supports more than 4 channels.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-13-2004 12:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always use 6 separate 16-bit 48KHz mono AIFF files when I author 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks. Pairing them up to stereo files kind of makes them more of a bitch to deal with. And I know about dealing with bitches! [Razz]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 08:27 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, the Studio Plugin for CoolEdit 2000 is just a four track expansion window where you can arrange WAV files and mix them down. It's a nice piece of software, you can switch between single file editing with all tools and the 4-track arranger, but it has nothing to do with 5.1 or similar formats.

There is, however, a function that allows you to interpret raw data without format headers, but I never tried them for anything but old and obsolete 2-track file formats, and CE2000 can do that without the Studio Plugin anyway.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-16-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pro Tools is the only way to go, guys. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-16-2004 11:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pro Tools is the only way to if you have a shit load of money. Most of us will just have to settle for something priced much farther down away from the stratosphere.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: