Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How To Sneak Into A Movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How To Sneak Into A Movie
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-11-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a Movie Hopper?

Interesting website for Hop Heads

>>> Phil

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-11-2004 08:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Beware of stupid "mission impossible" music at that link above.

And if kids think the tricks on this website works for true theater professionals, they are sorely mistaken! [evil]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-11-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ways to sneak in? How about impersonating someone from a distribution home office? Wear some business clothing, carry a clipboard with some official looking forms on it and say you're there to check out how the show is presented. Be sure to act like you're inspecting the theater, etc.

Of course, it should be said if you can afford some "business attire" and other stuff to go with the get up you can probably afford the price of a movie ticket. And as would be the case, the amount time it would take in researching and preparing for such a scam would have a lot more value to it than the price of a movie ticket.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Abbey Hoffman's method to getting free stuff:

If you are going to a chain theater, resturant or whatever, call the corporate office and find out the name of a big shot like a VP or such and call the theater and say you are calling on his behalf and you want tickets for yourself.

For movie theatres this would work well if you had the name of a big shot at a studio, you may not even need the name, just make something up.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-11-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...if you can afford some "business attire" and other stuff to go with the get up you can probably afford the price of a movie ticket.
I like your idea, Bobby. That quote above is very true. But the point is the ***thrill*** of getting away with it! [beer]

>>> Phil

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Go to a theater in which the bathroom is past ticker tearer.
2. Come in at a busy time say 7:00pm Friday.
3. Ask to use the bathroom to the ticket taker.
4. Use the facilities.
5. Walk into a theater.

It's quite simple, especially when the ticket taker is a moron or at a theater that tears tickets at the box office! I've caught many kids trying this and they have all fallen upon my wrath! [evil]

AJG

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the more common practice of taking in a "double feature". Pay for one movie, watch two. OK, OK. Don't send a hitman to my house, please. Have I done it? I'll say this. I dont' do it with movies that I would normally want to pay to watch in a theater. More out of curiosity. Batman and Robin. I wanted to see how bad it was and could have waited to see it on tv. But it was playing next door after my movie. Walked in , still ended up feeling ripped off for my time.

I don't agree with the website suggestion about not buying popcorn. As long as you do it between the two movies, I think it will be fine. I have done it and the theater cares more about your popcorn money anyway.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez... what a waste of good bandwidth! [Roll Eyes]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie hopping is my pet peeve. For the last 14 years I have kicked thousands of people out of theatres I have worked at for "theft of services". My recent favorite happened last week:

A guy comes up to the doorpost and proceeds to walk by me. I politely ask him for his ticket. He states he has a ticket (for a feature on the opposite side of the building). I explain to him that his theatre entrance is on the other side of the lobby. He then explains that he wanted to catch part of "Last Samurai", that his movie did not start for a bit. I told him he may purchase a ticket at the box office. He says "Well, I've already seen 'Last Samurai', so why can't I just walk in and see it again? Why should I have to pay for it twice?" I then said to him that I just recently purchased a snickers bar at Walgreens, and asked him if that gave me the right to walk into Walgreens and walk out with a snickers bar in my pocket (without paying) since I recently purchased one. He proceeded to sit on the bench in the lobby for a half an hour - waiting for his film........

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-12-2004 01:16 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised he didn't go to Walgreens to buy a Snickers bar to eat while he watched his show.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that site fails to mention the most important rule of movie-hopping etiquette: don't barge in halfway through a movie. if you do that you're crossing the line of annoying other customers.

i'm glad he at least tells hoppers to pick up their trash. even non-hoppers should take a hint from that.

carl

[ 01-12-2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Carl Martin ]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-12-2004 02:01 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
What's Yur prob Mr. Slave? Snickers rule! [beer]

>>> Phil

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 02:54 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Industry doesn't want people to theatre hop, then bring back the single screen movie palaces and have Hollywood stop releasing garbage. Consumers these days have no regard for movie theatres because the Industry has no regard for them. $5 for popcorn, and a 75-minute movie? Come on.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 02:09 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No -- consumers have no regard for theatres because they have been raised with the "If you don't get caught, it's OK" attitude. Same reason they trash rest rooms, shoplift, etc.

With the above logic, we should be charging double prices for Lord of the Rings. Hmm, not a bad idea at that.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-13-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the "If you don't get caught, it's OK" attitude.
I agree, Mike. That and the "Blame it on someone/something else" attitude and the lack of personal responsibility in general.

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: