Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cali. quake (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cali. quake
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard a while ago that there was a quake near San Luis Obispo. I didn't hear how strong it was, but it seems to have been of a lesser magnitude. I stand corrected, it seems to have been a 6.5 magnitude and damage reports from various new agencies differ...

Hope anyone on the forums who lives in the area isn't hurt or put out by this, especially during the holiday season...

If someone there can post details of what's going on for us nosey ones to read... ??

[ 12-22-2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Jason Black ]

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Registered 6.5 on the Richter scale. Centered off the coast. Hope it doesn't produce a tsunami.

Aftershocks still being felt after two hours, as far as San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Damage assessments not yet in.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-22-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
San Luis Abispo
San Luis Obispo

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-22-2003 03:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard,

Located in the Pacific Ocean, Hawaii has been a victim of tsunamis many times. Two of the most recent one's that claimed a lot of lives occurred in 1946 and 1960.
The quake in San Luis Obispo was not strong enough to cause a tsunami. We were told that quake that registers over 7 on the Richter scale has the potential to generate a wave. There was a local earthquake in the seventies on the south coast of the big island that was over 7 on the scale and generated a 35 feet wave that claimed two lives. Because of potential loss of lives and property damage, the state of Hawaii has a very elaborate warning system whenever there is a possibility of tsunami following a strong earthquake far away or one here in Hawaii.

-Claude

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-22-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Well to squelch the rumors/misinformation, below is a map from the USGS (www.usgs.gov) Here. Notice the 6.5 quake was located on LAND and would not cause a "giant wave".

It was centered in the middle between San Francisco and Los Angeles within about 40 miles of Hearst Castle. It was felt as far away as both those cities.

BTW: It is considered a "Strong" eq capable of much damage.

>>> Phil

-

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-22-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the epicenter is near San Simeon, the home of Hearst Castle. Hopefully not much in the way of damage or injuries to report.

BTW Hearst Castle has an iWERKS theater, with the largest film cabinet system I've personally seen--40 minutes of iWERKS film looped inside a cabinet that runs about 20' long, across the back of the booth. Would've hated to thread that the first time!

A tour of all or part of the Hearst Castle site is definitely worth the time and trouble it takes to get there. An imposing pile of rocks it is. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-22-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Said:
quote:
Would've hated to thread that the first time!
Ummmm... I did... [Razz]

BTW: That's 40+ min of 870 film....about a 1-1/3 mile worth in over 30 ft of loop cabinets. [Wink]

>>> Phil

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to stand corrected, Phil--
The info I got from the first report on 1010-WINS got it wrong.
Glad it's inland--your map actually shows a fault line--since good friends of mine have extensive property right on the beach.
Butof course that's bad news for the many more who live and work
further inland.
Gerard

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CBC up in Canada reports that at least 3 people were killed in the quake. It measured 6.5 and was centered about 10 km (6+ miles) northwest of San Simeon.

CBC adds that several old buildings in Paso Robles collapsed and people at a nearby winery were injured by falling barrels.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just had 2 here in NZ , but were in sparsley populated areas so no damage or loss of life . [thumbsup]

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Our office is located in San Luis Obispo. The quake was quite strong and the building shook really hard yet we came through with minimal damage. All USL emplyees are okay at this time, just a little shaken. Unfortunately there have been 3 confirmed deaths in Paso Robles which is just over the Questa grade from us. The epicenter was about 25 miles away from our office. This was not as bad as when we were located in Tarzana (San Fernando Valley) and the 1994 Northridge quake hit. Our office at that time was approximately 1 mile from the epicenter and the building took a lot harder hit than this one. Anyway just thought I would chime in.

Clint

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clint:

Glad to hear all is well at USL. I hope any damage in the surrounding area is minimal. Guess I'll have to watch the tv news tonight for some pictures of any damages.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-22-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe we are coming up on the 10th anniversary of that 6.7 Northridge EQ... Jan 17, 2004…04:31 AM. I still vividly remember it as if it happened yesterday.

Last thing I remember before the power went out was seeing the walls of my Studio City apartment going from rectangles to parallelograms. That sure was a RIDE! God! I was scared shitless!

I slept in my clothes and shoes and with all the lights on for weeks after that. [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ken,

Thanks. Just got back from checking my house and all is well.

Phil,

They lied to us about the 94 quaked being only 6.7. Most of the experts asy it was well over 7 points. Having lived through Sylmar quake in 70 and the Northridge quake, I am pretty sure the Northridge quakes was way stronger than the 6.7 they told us it was.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-22-2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The William Randolph Hearst's original screening room in the Hearst Castle had Simplex E-7 projectors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: