Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My health update...

Author Topic: My health update...
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-21-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some may be aware I have had some rather serious health problems in the past while, and even in the past few years.

I contracted a nervous disorder called RSD nearly two years ago. It cofuses the backup nervous system that regulates blood flow, healing, etc, into giving false information to the brain and confusing it so it cannot understand the signals that are sent back.

What happens then is that affected areas begin to degrade and suffer permanent tissue loss and damage. I have been fighting this with all that I have, yet seem to keep degrading. It started in my left foot and has spread to most areas of my body. At this very moment it is trying to disintegrate my jaw and teeth, and as I understand was inevitable in my case, rare but my case none the less.

The real problem is because this condition affects how a body heals, surgury for just about everything is almost never an option, only in the case of absolute medical necessity.

Now the fun part, back in 1998 I had a bout with a minor lymphectomy. In otherwords, I had a tumor threatening to burst into my brain. It was removed sucessfully, and was found to be benign.

A new growth, or lump if you will, has been discovered just above and behind my jaw. A biopsy cannot be done because of its suspected nature and fear that it could rupture either into some adjoining tissue that could lead to the brain or perhaps release it into the blood stream itelf. Surgury also is not an option at this point. As of about a month ago, it had begun to grow to the size of a golf ball. Since then, It has responded to treatment and now is the size of a small rock.

I had been instructed to avoid ANYTHING that causes stress, or physical exhertion, to avoid possible rupture. I am still under that same restriction, but I get more stressed when I cannot come here and do some slapping in the political forum.

I am back working now, earlier than thought and hoped for, so I am happy. It is unknown if the tumor will completely be eradicated by treatment. If not, and if deemed necessary, I get to have surgury... YEAH.... which is hard for me to recover from, so here is hoping all goes well.

Now as for the political forum, don't go easy on me. I am going to limit how much time I spend in there, but it wont be any fun if Thomas doesn't at least slap me back from time to time.

Ciao, and good to be back and looking MUCH better (you should have seen me, it was like elephant man!).

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave:

I'm saddened to hear of your problems. But I'm glad for your improvement. You are in my prayers. May God bless you.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-21-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, gee-whiz, man. I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing trouble, but it does sound like there's great hope in that you're responding to treatment. That's tremendously encouraging.

My best to you for a complete recovery very soon. Just continue to take it easy, guy, and it'll do you good. You will be in my prayers.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave:

Same here. Hope u can get things together. You sound upbeat in your posts. Hope to get the chance to argue with you one day. Seems like fun!

Bruce

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-22-2003 08:33 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Wishing you all the best this holiday season. I have asked that your name be added to our church prayer list and that you be included in the concerns and prayers of the congregation.

Please take care of yourself, we need you here.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

This year has been quite a ride for me. My mother, several close friends, and even myself have fallen ill to the point of hospitalization. My mom also lost her friend earlier this year. It's a very scary thing, but I've found that the comforting words of those around you are the best medicine one can get.
I used to think of the people here on the forums as just passive friends, and not really my family. Then I began to think what a family basically is. It's a group of people that make you feel less alone, comfort you when you feel sad or depressed, make you laugh when you need it most, and the inevitable arguing and bickering that goes on which brings us that much closer together.
So as a member of my family, my thoughts, prayers, and holiday wishes are with you and your family. The holidays to me are a milestone that we all have survived another year in this crazy, confusing world and that it's a time to be cherished with those close to you.
I remember Christmastime at our house the first few years we lived here. Every available bed and couch was full of friends and relatives that came to visit. Year after year the number shrank because of those who have left us, or those who are now unable to travel. This year, it's only my parents and my brother, and looking back it stresses the importance of how much our time together must be cherished.
I know you will be with us for many more Holidays to come. Your mind, body, and above all, spirit, are stronger than any disease or disability that tries to overcome you. As long as you remember this, you'll be stroger than any of us.
And as for the political forums, as long as I know it's giving you strength, I'll make sure my arrogance flows freely! [Wink]

Merry Christmas, and I'm looking forward to many more New Years of your posts! [beer]

=TMP=

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-22-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave: Best of luck to you. [thumbsup] Hope that the New Year is a good one, for you and all my friends on Film-Tech! [beer]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man Dave,

Sounds like you have been through alot. Will keep you in my prayers to beat these illness and for a full recovery.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-22-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Hope you get well and my prayers are with you.
Wishing you all the Best this holiday season.

Take care of yourself.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-22-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. It all helps especially in this holiday season. Even those in my family that I am quarreling with are letting things go for now, so we can get together for once.

Thomas, you make me laugh my friend! Keep it up.

I don't get to spend that much time in the forums reading as much as I used to, and it is nice to get in here as much as possible. The word today from my doctor is things are looking bright. I keep responding to treatment, as I always do! I refuse to roll over and let anything keep me down for long.

Besides, I have my governors run coming up. My doctor thinks I am kidding, but we will have to wait and see now wont we?

Ciao for now... see ya all after xmas..

And may all the blessings of whomever be upon us all...

To my film tech family...

Ciao for now..

Dave

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-22-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave-

I demand that you recover fully.

--Joe

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about all this Dave, I guess thats what I get for moving to Bountiful...out of touch with everyone down in SLC now. Are you getting treatment at Huntsman? One thing you mentioned "I had been instructed to avoid ANYTHING that causes stress"
I guess its a good thing you don't work for R.M. or you might not be with us any more....
I'll second what Little Joe said... We demand you get well!

Try to have a Merry Christmas too if at all possible.

Mark

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Watch a lot of comedies.

And if you're into video games, play games (but only ones that you can win.) There were studies that demonstrated that kids with serious diseases that played video games and won a fair amount of the time, had longer survival rates than those who didn't.

Also, at the same time that you're working with your own doctors, you might want to seek alternatives, such as massage therapy and Chinese medicine. Although sometimes it has no beneficial effect whatsoever, other times it works miracles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: